Background flashes when splitting windows

  • Andrej08
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2010
      I'm running GVim 7.3 on an XP machine.

      I have this problem where Vim quickly flashes a bright background color
      whenever I split or close Vim's windows. It doesn't seem to be related to
      any plugins, I can recreate the behavior without any plugins installed.

      Here's two snapshots:
      http://i.imgur.com/8yokX.jpg
      http://i.imgur.com/er0TD.jpg

      My system specs:
      Athlon II X4, Quad Core @ 2.6 Ghz
      3 Gb, 800Mhz DDR2 Ram
      GeForce 9600GT, 512Mb

      It almost looks like Vim is redrawing the background one character space at
      a time (I'm not familiar with how Vim does its window drawing), but first
      it's painting the background in a light color before drawing the dark color
      again. If I hold my key which toggles between opening/closing another Vim
      window, I can see the white area flashing from the top to the bottom (it
      looks exactly like a video footage of a CRT monitor, where you can clearly
      see how the monitor is refreshing the screen).

      It also looks like splitting the window vertically reproduces this behavior
      every time, but splitting it horizontally the flickering happens less often.

      Has anyone had this behavior while using Vim? Perhaps it's a driver issue,
      although I haven't been able to recreate this behavior in other
      applications.

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 24, 2010
        Andrej Mitrovich wrote:

        > I'm running GVim 7.3 on an XP machine.
        >
        > I have this problem where Vim quickly flashes a bright background color
        > whenever I split or close Vim's windows. It doesn't seem to be related to
        > any plugins, I can recreate the behavior without any plugins installed.
        >
        > Here's two snapshots:
        > http://i.imgur.com/8yokX.jpg
        > http://i.imgur.com/er0TD.jpg
        >
        > My system specs:
        > Athlon II X4, Quad Core @ 2.6 Ghz
        > 3 Gb, 800Mhz DDR2 Ram
        > GeForce 9600GT, 512Mb
        >
        > It almost looks like Vim is redrawing the background one character space at
        > a time (I'm not familiar with how Vim does its window drawing), but first
        > it's painting the background in a light color before drawing the dark color
        > again. If I hold my key which toggles between opening/closing another Vim
        > window, I can see the white area flashing from the top to the bottom (it
        > looks exactly like a video footage of a CRT monitor, where you can clearly
        > see how the monitor is refreshing the screen).
        >
        > It also looks like splitting the window vertically reproduces this behavior
        > every time, but splitting it horizontally the flickering happens less often.
        >
        > Has anyone had this behavior while using Vim? Perhaps it's a driver issue,
        > although I haven't been able to recreate this behavior in other
        > applications.

        Does it still happen after ":colors default" ?

        --
        Portable Computer: A device invented to force businessmen
        to work at home, on vacation, and on business trips.

      • Andrej08
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 24, 2010
          Hi Bram,

          Yes, it still happens with the default colors. It is less noticable with the
          default colors since the flash is a similar color as the white background.

          I have also tested this on a laptop running Win7 and a freshly installed
          GVim (7.3), and got the same results. With a dark background the flash is
          really noticable.

          Happy holidays! (and thanks for an awesome editor!)