Re: Opening files in new buffers

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2010
      Ven Tadipatri wrote:
      > I like the way vim allows you to view the files in a directory, then
      > directly go to them. But then to go back after editing the file I
      > chose, I repeatedly hit ctrl-O until I get back to the file listing.
      > It would be nice if I can maybe open the file in a new buffer, and
      > when I'm done, just close the new buffer I opened. Is there an easy
      > way to do this? Ctrl+w, followed by enter didn't seem to work, and
      > neither did gF.
      > Also, on a somewhat related note, is there a way to quickly save a
      > buffer and then close it. :wq allows you to save and quit, but I'm a
      > bit annoyed by having to do :w<enter>, :bd<enter>.
      > I think vim has started to make me lazy to type, where I'm always
      > looking for 1 or 2 letter commands to do everything.

      Try

      :Rex

      If you use a mouse, then also look at :he netrw-mouse ; you can ge a
      double-leftmouse click to return you to the netrw window.

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell

    • Chris Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 05:07:19PM EST, Ven Tadipatri wrote:

        [..]

        > There's tabbed browsing in vim as well right?

        More like tabbed editing. ;-)

        > Sometimes I notice links being opened in horizontal tabs. What's the
        > difference between these tabs and the buffers that are opened? In
        > other words, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using tabs
        > versus buffers?

        This may help clarify buffers vs. windows & tabs:

        :help buffers
        :help window
        :help tabpage

        Chasing the web browser analogy, Vim's windows and tab pages loosely
        correspond to a tabbed browser's tabs, while Vim's buffers are a bit
        like the browser's cache.

        Do you mean (dis)advantages of using ‘windows’ vs. using ‘tab pages’?

        This Vim tip provides many interesting suggestions of things you can do
        to put Vim's ‘tab pages’ to good use:

        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Quick_tips_for_using_tab_pages

        If you enter ‘tabs’ in the wiki's search box you will get a list of all
        the currently available tips relative to ‘tabs pages’:

        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tabs

        HTH

        cj