Re: Opening files in new buffers

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2010
      On 12/01/2010 03:51 PM, Ven Tadipatri wrote:
      > I like the way vim allows you to view the files in a directory, then
      > directly go to them. But then to go back after editing the file I
      > chose, I repeatedly hit ctrl-O until I get back to the file listing.
      > It would be nice if I can maybe open the file in a new buffer, and
      > when I'm done, just close the new buffer I opened. Is there an easy
      > way to do this? Ctrl+w, followed by enter didn't seem to work, and
      > neither did gF.

      It sounds like you want "o" (lowercase-oh), used to open the file
      under the cursor in a new window.

      :help netrw-o

      Though I agree that your Ctrl+W and gF are reasonable
      expectations...I myself used them diminishingly for the 2-3
      months it took me to finally wire my brain to use "o". :)

      > Also, on a somewhat related note, is there a way to quickly save a
      > buffer and then close it. :wq allows you to save and quit, but I'm a
      > bit annoyed by having to do :w<enter>, :bd<enter>.

      I don't know of any built-in single-command to do it. However,
      you can either map a command to do it:

      :nnoremap <f4> :w<cr>:bd<cr>

      or you can fiddle with the 'bufhidden' option:

      :set bufhidden=delete

      and then just use ":wq" as normal.

      -tim

    • Charles E Campbell Jr
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2010
        Ven Tadipatri wrote:
        > I like the way vim allows you to view the files in a directory, then
        > directly go to them. But then to go back after editing the file I
        > chose, I repeatedly hit ctrl-O until I get back to the file listing.
        > It would be nice if I can maybe open the file in a new buffer, and
        > when I'm done, just close the new buffer I opened. Is there an easy
        > way to do this? Ctrl+w, followed by enter didn't seem to work, and
        > neither did gF.
        > Also, on a somewhat related note, is there a way to quickly save a
        > buffer and then close it. :wq allows you to save and quit, but I'm a
        > bit annoyed by having to do :w<enter>, :bd<enter>.
        > I think vim has started to make me lazy to type, where I'm always
        > looking for 1 or 2 letter commands to do everything.

        Try

        :Rex

        If you use a mouse, then also look at :he netrw-mouse ; you can ge a
        double-leftmouse click to return you to the netrw window.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

      • Chris Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
          On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 05:07:19PM EST, Ven Tadipatri wrote:

          [..]

          > There's tabbed browsing in vim as well right?

          More like tabbed editing. ;-)

          > Sometimes I notice links being opened in horizontal tabs. What's the
          > difference between these tabs and the buffers that are opened? In
          > other words, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using tabs
          > versus buffers?

          This may help clarify buffers vs. windows & tabs:

          :help buffers
          :help window
          :help tabpage

          Chasing the web browser analogy, Vim's windows and tab pages loosely
          correspond to a tabbed browser's tabs, while Vim's buffers are a bit
          like the browser's cache.

          Do you mean (dis)advantages of using ‘windows’ vs. using ‘tab pages’?

          This Vim tip provides many interesting suggestions of things you can do
          to put Vim's ‘tab pages’ to good use:

          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Quick_tips_for_using_tab_pages

          If you enter ‘tabs’ in the wiki's search box you will get a list of all
          the currently available tips relative to ‘tabs pages’:

          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tabs

          HTH

          cj