Re: Change background colour to specific colour

  • Brett Stahlman
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
      On Dec 1, 9:12 am, "Christian Brabandt" <cbli...@...> wrote:
      > On Wed, December 1, 2010 3:58 pm, Dotan Cohen wrote:
      > > I have been googling for a way to change the background colour of VIM
      > > to a specific colour. For example, I'd like it to be #c6c0d7. Is there
      > > no way to do such a thing? I only see references to using
      > > already-configured colours in VIM.
      >
      > For the gui version, this is possible. See :h gui-colors
      >
      > So this should work:
      > :hi Normal guibg=#c6c0d7
      >
      > For the terminal version, this depends on your terminal and vim has no
      > control over those settings.

      Although you don't have as much control with a color terminal, you can
      still use this basic mechanism: e.g.,
      :hi Normal ctermbg=blue
      You can also use color numbers.

      :help cterm-colors
      :help xterm-color

      Brett Stahlman

      > regards,
      > Christian

    • sc
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
        On Wednesday 01 December 2010 09:20:32 Brett Stahlman wrote:

        > On Dec 1, 9:12 am, "Christian Brabandt" <cbli...@...>
        wrote:
        > > On Wed, December 1, 2010 3:58 pm, Dotan Cohen wrote:
        > > > I have been googling for a way to change the background
        > > > colour of VIM to a specific colour. For example, I'd like
        > > > it to be #c6c0d7. Is there no way to do such a thing? I
        > > > only see references to using already-configured colours in
        > > > VIM.
        > >
        > > For the gui version, this is possible. See :h gui-colors
        > >
        > > So this should work:
        > > :hi Normal guibg=#c6c0d7
        > >
        > > For the terminal version, this depends on your terminal and
        > > vim has no control over those settings.

        > Although you don't have as much control with a color terminal,
        > you can still use this basic mechanism: e.g.,

        > :hi Normal ctermbg=blue

        > You can also use color numbers.

        > :help cterm-colors
        > :help xterm-color

        or, download and install the CSApprox plugin and everything
        you apply for the gui will apply to vim:

        sc

      • Dotan Cohen
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
          On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 17:12, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
          > For the gui version, this is possible. See :h gui-colors
          >
          > So this should work:
          > :hi Normal guibg=#c6c0d7
          >
          > For the terminal version, this depends on your terminal and vim has no
          > control over those settings.
          >
          > regards,
          > Christian

          Thank you Christian. That does what I need!

          Assuming a complete beginner (does not know about gui-colors), how
          would one have come across that? In other words, what docs should I
          have consulted?

          Thanks!

          --
          Dotan Cohen

          http://gibberish.co.il
          http://what-is-what.com

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
            Hi Dotan!

            On Mi, 01 Dez 2010, Dotan Cohen wrote:

            > Assuming a complete beginner (does not know about gui-colors), how
            > would one have come across that? In other words, what docs should I
            > have consulted?

            Vim contains a complete reference manual as well as a users guide. So
            for a beginner I would recommend starting at :h usr_toc.txt[1] which -
            surprisingly - contains the table of contents for the user guide.

            Starting from there, read whatever you find interesting. The user guide
            contains links to the reference manual, so you can dig into there for
            all the glory details. After a while, you'll get a feeling, where you'll
            find something, and even if not, you'll probably find :helpgrep useful.

            The vim help basically contains everything[2]. Use it, it is worth the
            effort and you'll surprised how many useful little tricks you'll learn.

            [1] After you have taken a look at :h to find out how to use the help.
            [2] And if not, that is a bug, that needs to be fixed.

            regards,
            Christian