Change background colour to specific colour

  • Dotan Cohen
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
      I have been googling for a way to change the background colour of VIM
      to a specific colour. For example, I'd like it to be #c6c0d7. Is there
      no way to do such a thing? I only see references to using
      already-configured colours in VIM.

      Thanks.

      --
      Dotan Cohen

      http://gibberish.co.il
      http://what-is-what.com

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
        On Wed, December 1, 2010 3:58 pm, Dotan Cohen wrote:
        > I have been googling for a way to change the background colour of VIM
        > to a specific colour. For example, I'd like it to be #c6c0d7. Is there
        > no way to do such a thing? I only see references to using
        > already-configured colours in VIM.

        For the gui version, this is possible. See :h gui-colors

        So this should work:
        :hi Normal guibg=#c6c0d7

        For the terminal version, this depends on your terminal and vim has no
        control over those settings.

        regards,
        Christian

      • Brett Stahlman
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
          On Dec 1, 9:12 am, "Christian Brabandt" <cbli...@...> wrote:
          > On Wed, December 1, 2010 3:58 pm, Dotan Cohen wrote:
          > > I have been googling for a way to change the background colour of VIM
          > > to a specific colour. For example, I'd like it to be #c6c0d7. Is there
          > > no way to do such a thing? I only see references to using
          > > already-configured colours in VIM.
          >
          > For the gui version, this is possible. See :h gui-colors
          >
          > So this should work:
          > :hi Normal guibg=#c6c0d7
          >
          > For the terminal version, this depends on your terminal and vim has no
          > control over those settings.

          Although you don't have as much control with a color terminal, you can
          still use this basic mechanism: e.g.,
          :hi Normal ctermbg=blue
          You can also use color numbers.

          :help cterm-colors
          :help xterm-color

          Brett Stahlman

          > regards,
          > Christian

        • sc
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
            On Wednesday 01 December 2010 09:20:32 Brett Stahlman wrote:

            > On Dec 1, 9:12 am, "Christian Brabandt" <cbli...@...>
            wrote:
            > > On Wed, December 1, 2010 3:58 pm, Dotan Cohen wrote:
            > > > I have been googling for a way to change the background
            > > > colour of VIM to a specific colour. For example, I'd like
            > > > it to be #c6c0d7. Is there no way to do such a thing? I
            > > > only see references to using already-configured colours in
            > > > VIM.
            > >
            > > For the gui version, this is possible. See :h gui-colors
            > >
            > > So this should work:
            > > :hi Normal guibg=#c6c0d7
            > >
            > > For the terminal version, this depends on your terminal and
            > > vim has no control over those settings.

            > Although you don't have as much control with a color terminal,
            > you can still use this basic mechanism: e.g.,

            > :hi Normal ctermbg=blue

            > You can also use color numbers.

            > :help cterm-colors
            > :help xterm-color

            or, download and install the CSApprox plugin and everything
            you apply for the gui will apply to vim:

            sc

          • Dotan Cohen
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
              On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 17:12, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
              > For the gui version, this is possible. See :h gui-colors
              >
              > So this should work:
              > :hi Normal guibg=#c6c0d7
              >
              > For the terminal version, this depends on your terminal and vim has no
              > control over those settings.
              >
              > regards,
              > Christian

              Thank you Christian. That does what I need!

              Assuming a complete beginner (does not know about gui-colors), how
              would one have come across that? In other words, what docs should I
              have consulted?

              Thanks!

              --
              Dotan Cohen

              http://gibberish.co.il
              http://what-is-what.com

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
                Hi Dotan!

                On Mi, 01 Dez 2010, Dotan Cohen wrote:

                > Assuming a complete beginner (does not know about gui-colors), how
                > would one have come across that? In other words, what docs should I
                > have consulted?

                Vim contains a complete reference manual as well as a users guide. So
                for a beginner I would recommend starting at :h usr_toc.txt[1] which -
                surprisingly - contains the table of contents for the user guide.

                Starting from there, read whatever you find interesting. The user guide
                contains links to the reference manual, so you can dig into there for
                all the glory details. After a while, you'll get a feeling, where you'll
                find something, and even if not, you'll probably find :helpgrep useful.

                The vim help basically contains everything[2]. Use it, it is worth the
                effort and you'll surprised how many useful little tricks you'll learn.

                [1] After you have taken a look at :h to find out how to use the help.
                [2] And if not, that is a bug, that needs to be fixed.

                regards,
                Christian