Re: How to find start/end of char-wise visual selection?

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2010
      On Wed, December 1, 2010 4:26 am, AK wrote:

      > Hi, this is for Vim7.3.. Looking up docs for line(), it says that
      > arg='.' will give you cursor position, and 'v' will give you beginning
      > of visual selection when in visual mode, and '.' will give you the end
      > of it. For column, col() should be used, but there's no 'v' arg for it.

      Yeah, I remember, I wondered about it too. I even thought about creating
      a patch, but didn't so far, because you can easily get the column using
      the getpos() function together with the marks '< for start and '> for end
      of visual selection. For my plugin NrrwRgn, I use getpos("'>") for the line
      and virtcol("'>") for the virtual column of the end of the visual selection
      (and the same for the start of the visual selection).

      > So, how can I do this? Let's say I have a char-wise selection from
      > column 10 to 20, how can I get numbers 10 and 20? -ak

      echo "start at line " getpos("'<")[1] " column: " virtcol("'<")
      echo "end at line " getpos("'>")[1] " column: " virtcol("'>")

      regards,
      Christian

    • AK
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
        On 12/01/2010 02:03 AM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > On Wed, December 1, 2010 4:26 am, AK wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi, this is for Vim7.3.. Looking up docs for line(), it says that
        >> arg='.' will give you cursor position, and 'v' will give you beginning
        >> of visual selection when in visual mode, and '.' will give you the end
        >> of it. For column, col() should be used, but there's no 'v' arg for it.
        >
        > Yeah, I remember, I wondered about it too. I even thought about creating
        > a patch, but didn't so far, because you can easily get the column using
        > the getpos() function together with the marks '< for start and '> for end
        > of visual selection. For my plugin NrrwRgn, I use getpos("'>") for the line
        > and virtcol("'>") for the virtual column of the end of the visual selection
        > (and the same for the start of the visual selection).
        >
        >> So, how can I do this? Let's say I have a char-wise selection from
        >> column 10 to 20, how can I get numbers 10 and 20? -ak
        >
        > echo "start at line " getpos("'<")[1] " column: " virtcol("'<")
        > echo "end at line " getpos("'>")[1] " column: " virtcol("'>")
        >
        > regards,
        > Christian

        Thanks, that's great! -ak