Calling gvim remotely doesn't bring gvim to the foreground

  • bobnotbob
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2010
      I recently switched to Win7 (from XP), and when gvim is called with
      the --remote flag, it is behaving differently.

      When in Visual Studio, I like to use gvim as my editor. To do so, I
      call gvim with the following arguments:
      --servername VS_NET --remote-silent "+call cursor($(CurLine),
      $(CurCol))" $(ItemPath)

      In Windows XP, calling gvim in this manner would bring it to the
      forground, so I could start editing right away.

      But in Win7, if gvim with the servername VS_NET is already open, while
      it does send the file to gvim, it doesn't bring it to the foreground,
      forcing me to manually switch to it.

      Yeah, I know, it's a minor thing, but I really liked the previous
      functionality. Does anybody know if it's possible for me to get it
      back?

    • Anurag Priyam
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2010
        See if it gives you any idea. On Linux, if gvim is on a different
        workspace than the currently active workspace, gvim won't gain focus
        on using --remote. The active workspace and gvim's workspace should be
        the same. I do not know if there are workspaces in windows or not.

        --
        Anurag Priyam,
        3rd Year Undergraduate,