Licenses on scripts?

  • Johannes Hoff
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2010

      I just got a request from a user of my Arduino syntax file for vim
      [1]. He asks if I could put a license on it. I'm thinking the MIT
      license or perhaps creative commons (CC-BY).

      It's not a big deal for a syntax file of course, but is there any
      standard for this? Anything I should think of to make sure it can be
      included in vim proper at some point [2]? I've seen one case of
      reusing the vim license [3], but it doesn't really seem to fit.

      Please CC me, as I am not on the mailing list.

      Thanks,
      Johannes

      [1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2654
      [2] which it totally should. it's freakin' awesome!
      [3] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3223

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2010
        Johannes Hoff wrote:

        > I just got a request from a user of my Arduino syntax file for vim
        > [1]. He asks if I could put a license on it. I'm thinking the MIT
        > license or perhaps creative commons (CC-BY).
        >
        > It's not a big deal for a syntax file of course, but is there any
        > standard for this? Anything I should think of to make sure it can be
        > included in vim proper at some point [2]? I've seen one case of
        > reusing the vim license [3], but it doesn't really seem to fit.

        You can use the Vim license. If you are not happy with that, make sure
        that the lincense you pick is compatible with the Vim license, otherwise
        you would need to dual-license it for distribution with Vim. Note that
        this isn't so easy to verify.

        --
        If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the
        human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its