Re: Another question: forking

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2010
      On Nov 29, 3:57 pm, arrom...@... (Ken Arromdee) wrote:
      > gvim used to fork and run in the background.  7.2 doesn't seem to do this.

      Well, it does for most. How are you invoking gvim? I'd suspect an
      alias or script getting in the way.

      Regards, John

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2010
        John Little wrote:

        > On Nov 29, 3:57 pm, arrom...@... (Ken Arromdee) wrote:
        >
        >> gvim used to fork and run in the background. 7.2 doesn't seem to do this.
        >>
        > Well, it does for most. How are you invoking gvim? I'd suspect an
        > alias or script getting in the way.

        Try

        gvim -u NONE

        to avoid .vimrc/.gvimrc/plugin effects. Does gvim fork?

        Then try

        gvim -U NONE

        to avoid .gvimrc effects. Does gvim fork?

        Then try

        gvim -u NORC

        to avoid .vimrc but load plugins. Does gvim fork?

        That'll be a start at tracking down the cause of your difficulty.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2010
          On 2010-11-30, Charles Campbell wrote:
          > John Little wrote:
          > >
          > >On Nov 29, 3:57 pm, arrom...@... (Ken Arromdee) wrote:
          > >
          > >>gvim used to fork and run in the background. 7.2 doesn't seem to do this.
          > >>
          > >Well, it does for most. How are you invoking gvim? I'd suspect an
          > >alias or script getting in the way.
          > >

          > Try
          >
          > gvim -u NONE

          > That'll be a start at tracking down the cause of your difficulty.

          Also, you may want to use the full path name to gvim (e.g.,
          /usr/bin/gvim) to avoid local scripts, functions or aliases.

          $ which -a gvim

          will show you all the gvims in your PATH (and maybe aliases and
          functions, too, depending on the definition of your 'which').

          HTH,
          Gary

        • Ken Arromdee
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2010
            On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Gary Johnson wrote:
            >>> Well, it does for most. How are you invoking gvim? I'd suspect an
            >>> alias or script getting in the way.
            >> Try
            >> gvim -u NONE
            >> That'll be a start at tracking down the cause of your difficulty.
            > Also, you may want to use the full path name to gvim (e.g.,
            > /usr/bin/gvim) to avoid local scripts, functions or aliases.

            When I do that, it still doesn't fork (although I can tell I am not getting
            local scripts because the font that is set in my .vimrc is no longer being
            used.)

            I managed to "solve" my problem by downloading gvim 7.3 and using that instead
            of the 7.2.284 that comes with Mandriva. When I download it myself and compile
            it myself, it forks.