RE: line number non copyable

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
      statquant2 wrote:
      > silly question, is it possible to set the line numbers such
      > that you cannot copy them ?
      > I like to have the line number but I am fed up with having to
      > set nonu each time I want to copy with the mouse.
      > In most editors I know, line numbers are visible but you
      > cannot copy them ...

      Presumably you are using console/terminal Vim, and the mouse
      copying that you refer to is NOT done by Vim, but is done by the
      shell.

      One solution would be to use gvim (GUI Vim), and use its ability
      to copy with the mouse. Another approach for any Vim compiled
      with clipboard support would be to copy using Vim's commands:

      "+yip
      copy inner paragraph to clipboard

      :12,345y +
      copy lines 12..345 inclusive to the clipboard

      John

    • John Little
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
        On Nov 1, 11:55 pm, statquant2 <statqu...@...> wrote:
        > is it possible to set the line numbers such that you cannot
        > copy them ?

        Sounds like you are running vim in a terminal emulator, which is
        handling your mouse selection. You could use gvim, or try

        :set mouse=a

        Then vim gets mouse clicks and some useful stuff works, like
        positioning the cursor with the mouse; there's lots you can do, I
        suggest a read of

        :help mouse-using

        "Currently the mouse is supported for Unix in an xterm window, in a
        *BSD
        console with sysmouse, in a Linux console (with GPM), for
        MS-DOS and in a Windows console."

        Regards, John

      • statquant2
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
          Hello JohnS
          Thank you for your messages, I am already doing what you are suggesting (not
          using gvim though)
          Thanks for the insight

          Cheers

        • Gestorm
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
            Hi, I've written a plugin to solve this problem, see

            On 11月1日, 下午6时55分, statquant2 <statqu...@...> wrote:
            > Hi guys,
            > silly question, is it possible to set the line numbers such that you cannot
            > copy them ?
            > I like to have the line number but I am fed up with having to set nonu each
            > time I want to copy with the mouse.
            > In most editors I know, line numbers are visible but you cannot copy them
            >
            > Hope I have been clear enough.
            > Thanks for reading
            >
            > Cheers

          • Gestorm