How to selectively close a buffer keeping opened another one?

  • caruso_g
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hi all.
      I am not able to find how to selectively close a buffer keeping opened
      all another ones.
      I mean, having several buffers opened, I understood I should keep them
      in one window>tab and switch between them as I need. But how can I
      close just one I don't need to keep opened in the registry?
      Thanks you all.

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
        caruso_g wrote:
        > I am not able to find how to selectively close a buffer
        > keeping opened all another ones.
        > I mean, having several buffers opened, I understood I should
        > keep them in one window>tab and switch between them as I
        > need. But how can I close just one I don't need to keep
        > opened in the registry?

        If you mean "close a buffer", use :bd (buffer delete), or :bw
        (buffer wipeout). Wipeout means to remove Vim's memory of the
        buffer (e.g. marks are lost).

        If you mean "close a window", use Ctrl-W c (control w then c).

        You can also close a buffer while keeping its window open:
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip165

        John

      • caruso_g
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2010
          > If you mean "close a buffer", use :bd (buffer delete), or :bw
          > (buffer wipeout). Wipeout means to remove Vim's memory of the
          > buffer (e.g. marks are lost).

          That's it! Thanks a lot, I was not able to find it on the manual.

          > You can also close a buffer while keeping its window open:http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip165

          Trying the regular :bd other buffers keep the window opened as well,
          it's just what I was looking for.
          Thanks again John.