Go to function definition

  • statquant2
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hi all,
      I use to work on VStudio, one nice feature was the possibility to go to a
      function definition by right clicking.
      I have built tabs for my cpp project so that I can use omnicompletion... so
      in some sense vim can already know where is a function implemented.

      Is there an addin which will enable me to jump to a function definition like
      VS is doing ?

      Thanks for reading
      Cheers

    • Ivan S. Freitas
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
        > I have built tabs for my cpp project so that I can use omnicompletion... so
        > in some sense vim can already know where  is a function implemented.

        You mean tags, right? With a ctags database, put the cursor on the
        function name and hit control-] (use control-t to go back where you
        came from). Also, you can use :tag <tagname>.
        Just search for tags vim and you can find many other tricks to jump around.

        HTH

        Ivan Sichmann Freitas
        Engenharia de Computação 2009
        UNICAMP
        http://identi.ca/ivansichmann
        Grupo Pró Software Livre UNICAMP - GPSL

      • statquant2
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
          Thanks Ivan
          Yes tags, the problem is that when I do <CTRL> ] I go on the .h file, and I
          don't know how to go the the cpp file itself... (where the function is
          implemented)

          Do you know by any chance ?

        • Ivan S. Freitas
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
            On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM, statquant2 <statquant@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Ivan
            > Yes tags, the problem is that when I do <CTRL> ] I go on the .h file, and I
            > don't know how to go the the cpp file itself... (where the function is
            > implemented)
            >
            > Do you know by any chance ?

            You can use :tselsect to have a menu with the matches and/or use
            :tnext and :tprevious (abbreviately, :tn and :tp) to move around tags.
            For more, see :help tag-matchlist

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
              Cool that solves it thanks a lot mate