line number non copyable

  • statquant2
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hi guys,
      silly question, is it possible to set the line numbers such that you cannot
      copy them ?
      I like to have the line number but I am fed up with having to set nonu each
      time I want to copy with the mouse.
      In most editors I know, line numbers are visible but you cannot copy them

      Hope I have been clear enough.
      Thanks for reading

      Cheers

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
        statquant2 wrote:
        > silly question, is it possible to set the line numbers such
        > that you cannot copy them ?
        > I like to have the line number but I am fed up with having to
        > set nonu each time I want to copy with the mouse.
        > In most editors I know, line numbers are visible but you
        > cannot copy them ...

        Presumably you are using console/terminal Vim, and the mouse
        copying that you refer to is NOT done by Vim, but is done by the
        shell.

        One solution would be to use gvim (GUI Vim), and use its ability
        to copy with the mouse. Another approach for any Vim compiled
        with clipboard support would be to copy using Vim's commands:

        "+yip
        copy inner paragraph to clipboard

        :12,345y +
        copy lines 12..345 inclusive to the clipboard

        John

      • John Little
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
          On Nov 1, 11:55 pm, statquant2 <statqu...@...> wrote:
          > is it possible to set the line numbers such that you cannot
          > copy them ?

          Sounds like you are running vim in a terminal emulator, which is
          handling your mouse selection. You could use gvim, or try

          :set mouse=a

          Then vim gets mouse clicks and some useful stuff works, like
          positioning the cursor with the mouse; there's lots you can do, I
          suggest a read of

          :help mouse-using

          "Currently the mouse is supported for Unix in an xterm window, in a
          *BSD
          console with sysmouse, in a Linux console (with GPM), for
          MS-DOS and in a Windows console."

          Regards, John

        • statquant2
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
            Hello JohnS
            Thank you for your messages, I am already doing what you are suggesting (not
            using gvim though)
            Thanks for the insight

            Cheers

          • Gestorm
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
              Hi, I've written a plugin to solve this problem, see

              On 11月1日, 下午6时55分, statquant2 <statqu...@...> wrote:
              > Hi guys,
              > silly question, is it possible to set the line numbers such that you cannot
              > copy them ?
              > I like to have the line number but I am fed up with having to set nonu each
              > time I want to copy with the mouse.
              > In most editors I know, line numbers are visible but you cannot copy them
              >
              > Hope I have been clear enough.
              > Thanks for reading
              >
              > Cheers

            • Gestorm