Re: For languages that end statements with semicolons: d$-1

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2010
      On 10/27/10 04:42, Dotan Cohen wrote:
      > Does VIM have an easy way to delete up to the last character of a
      > line, not inclusive?

      In addition to John's suggestions about text-objects (something I
      use regularly and sets vim apart from many other editors I've
      used), based on your Subject line, you can use the f/F/t/T
      commands as your motion, so if you want to keep the semi-colon
      (assuming you don't have compound statements or
      semi-colons-in-strings) you can just issue

      dt;

      to delete from the cursor up-to-but-not-including the next
      semi-colon. If you do have compound statements or ";" in
      strings, you can take a visual tally and prefix with a count:

      d3t;

      (to delete to the 3rd semi-colon) if your line is something like

      foo(X);bar("text;text");

      with the cursor on "X" to transform it into

      foo(;

      Hope this helps too,

      -tim