vim + screen, hangs for hours

  • gabriel.barros
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2010
      Everytime i open vim inside screen, it hangs for hours.

      normally i open another screen window and send a killall vim.

      one time i left it there on a friday, and when i arrived monday it was
      open and working normally. so i think the hang up last 'just' some
      hours...

      it does not happen if i don't use my vimrc. so i think it may be the guilty one.

      i'm about to go line by line tomorrow, but since it's a slow procress,
      i'm asking here first if someone knows any vimrc option that make vim
      hangs while inside screen.

      Thank you,
      Gabriel

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2010
        Hi gabriel.barros!

        On Do, 21 Okt 2010, gabriel.barros wrote:

        > Everytime i open vim inside screen, it hangs for hours.
        >
        > normally i open another screen window and send a killall vim.
        >
        > one time i left it there on a friday, and when i arrived monday it was
        > open and working normally. so i think the hang up last 'just' some
        > hours...
        >
        > it does not happen if i don't use my vimrc. so i think it may be the guilty one.
        >
        > i'm about to go line by line tomorrow, but since it's a slow procress,
        > i'm asking here first if someone knows any vimrc option that make vim
        > hangs while inside screen.

        Try, if using -X works better for you. If it doesn't try to start vim
        with --startuptime to figure out what is going on.

        :h --startuptime
        :h 'clipboard'

        regards,
        Christian

      • Marc
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
          On Oct 21, 10:10 am, "gabriel.barros" <gabriel.bar...@...>
          wrote:
          > Everytime i open vim inside screen, it hangs for hours.

          I was having this problem in both GNU screen and tmux.

          What fixed it for me was to add this to my ~/.vimrc:

          set ttymouse=xterm " so vim doesn't hang inside screen and tmux

          Hope it works for you too.

          -Marc
          http://marc-abramowitz.com/