Re: Pain at Vim Tips wiki

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
      [09/30/10] @ 7:19PM PDT, johnb.beckett@... wrote:
      > Wikia have several large wikis (much larger than ours), with
      > often young participants. Wikia want to boost kiddie
      > participation, which leads to more page views on wikia.com.

      Well, hopefully the kiddies this attracts can contribute some Vim
      scripts. Because the world needs more script kiddies, right?

      Wait...

    • Oivvio Polite
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2010
        Just out of curiosity, how was the decision made that the vim wiki
        should be hosted at wikia? Wouldn't be natural for a project of this
        size to have a wiki completely under its own control?

        oivvio

        --
        http://pipedreams.polite.se/about/

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2010
          Oivvio Polite wrote:
          > Just out of curiosity, how was the decision made that the vim
          > wiki should be hosted at wikia? Wouldn't be natural for a
          > project of this size to have a wiki completely under its own
          > control?

          Some history of the wiki is available here:
          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki:About

          While the Vim Tips wiki should be hosted on a system completely
          under our control, it was decided at the time (early 2007) that
          relying on a private system operated by a Vim enthusiast may
          lead to long term problems if that enthusiast were hit by the
          proverbial bus. Indeed, the whole Vim mailing list ground to a
          halt for several weeks in 2007 when the hosting server suddenly
          became unavailable (that's why we are now on Google Groups).

          I have recently received a good offer of free hosting, but now
          we have the additional problem that forking would cause, in
          addition to any concerns regarding buses.

          John

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2010
            On Oct 4, 4:33 am, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@...> wrote:
            > Oivvio Polite wrote:
            > > Just out of curiosity, how was the decision made that the vim
            > > wiki should be hosted at wikia? Wouldn't be natural for a
            > > project of this size to have a wiki completely under its own
            > > control?
            >
            > Some history of the wiki is available here:http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki:About
            >
            > While the Vim Tips wiki should be hosted on a system completely
            > under our control, it was decided at the time (early 2007) that
            > relying on a private system operated by a Vim enthusiast may
            > lead to long term problems if that enthusiast were hit by the
            > proverbial bus. Indeed, the whole Vim mailing list ground to a
            > halt for several weeks in 2007 when the hosting server suddenly
            > became unavailable (that's why we are now on Google Groups).
            >
            > I have recently received a good offer of free hosting, but now
            > we have the additional problem that forking would cause, in
            > addition to any concerns regarding buses.

            I personally like the fact that we don't need to worry about the heavy
            spam filtering, server security, server maintenance, version upgrades,
            etc. I like having a team of (presumably paid?) support people that
            can come to our aid when needed. The changes that are coming are, in
            my opinion, mildly annoying but not a big deal. I was far more upset
            by the ads that popped up and floated across my screen a few times,
            and those were gone within a week. I'm willing to put up with a few
            minor annoyances for the stability, availability, speed, and relative
            ease of working with the wiki.

            I'm not picky, and I have no deep-rooted loyalty to Wikia, but in my
            opinion they are still doing a pretty good job and provide us a
            valuable resource.

          • John Beckett
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 5, 2010
              Ben Fritz wrote:
              > I personally like the fact that we don't need to worry about
              > the heavy spam filtering, server security, server
              > maintenance, version upgrades, etc. I like having a team of
              > (presumably paid?) support people that can come to our aid
              > when needed. The changes that are coming are, in my opinion,
              > mildly annoying but not a big deal. I was far more upset by
              > the ads that popped up and floated across my screen a few
              > times, and those were gone within a week. I'm willing to put
              > up with a few minor annoyances for the stability,
              > availability, speed, and relative ease of working with the wiki.
              >
              > I'm not picky, and I have no deep-rooted loyalty to Wikia,
              > but in my opinion they are still doing a pretty good job and
              > provide us a valuable resource.

              Yes, these are important points. I have mentioned them in the
              past but my irritation may have caused me to overlook them now.

              Another issue is liability: It is extremely unlikely that
              anything bad would ever happen, and I wouldn't worry about it,
              but it is nice that Wikia would be the first stop for anyone
              with a legal complaint.

              It looks like the bottom line of the new Wikia skin is that the
              font will be considerably smaller to fit text into the fixed
              660 pixel width, and there will be more fluff.

              John

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
                On 06/10/10 02:21, John Beckett wrote:
                > Ben Fritz wrote:
                >> I personally like the fact that we don't need to worry about
                >> the heavy spam filtering, server security, server
                >> maintenance, version upgrades, etc. I like having a team of
                >> (presumably paid?) support people that can come to our aid
                >> when needed. The changes that are coming are, in my opinion,
                >> mildly annoying but not a big deal. I was far more upset by
                >> the ads that popped up and floated across my screen a few
                >> times, and those were gone within a week. I'm willing to put
                >> up with a few minor annoyances for the stability,
                >> availability, speed, and relative ease of working with the wiki.
                >>
                >> I'm not picky, and I have no deep-rooted loyalty to Wikia,
                >> but in my opinion they are still doing a pretty good job and
                >> provide us a valuable resource.
                >
                > Yes, these are important points. I have mentioned them in the
                > past but my irritation may have caused me to overlook them now.
                >
                > Another issue is liability: It is extremely unlikely that
                > anything bad would ever happen, and I wouldn't worry about it,
                > but it is nice that Wikia would be the first stop for anyone
                > with a legal complaint.
                >
                > It looks like the bottom line of the new Wikia skin is that the
                > font will be considerably smaller to fit text into the fixed
                > 660 pixel width, and there will be more fluff.
                >
                > John

                We-e-ell, if I get bothered enough by it I may try adding some CSS rules
                more to my taste within a section of my SeaMonkey userContent.css wrapped in

                @-moz-document domain(wikia.com) {
                }

                which is the (Mozilla proprietary) way of specifying style rules for use
                only on a specific domain (and I'd add !important on all of them of course).