Re: cscope for directory names with spaces

  • Timothy Madden
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
      On 01.10.2010 18:30, Ben Fritz wrote:

      > On Oct 1, 7:01 am, Timothy Madden<terminato...@...> wrote:
      >> Hello
      >>
      >> Anyone has a solution for using cscope if your projects reside in a
      >> directory whose name includes spaces ?
      >>
      >> Looks like cscope outputs in vim:
      >> E609: Cscope error: cscope: cannot read trailer offset from
      >> file cscope.out
      >>
      >> This issue is making me so nervous, it is so stupid to be unable to
      >> search source code for this name-with-spaces reason.
      >>
      >> Any ideas ?
      >>

      > On Windows, when building the database, you can probably use short-
      > path style names.
      >
      > E.g. C:\Progra~1\Vim\vim73
      >
      > I agree it really is annoying that Cscope cannot seem to handle paths
      > with spaces. That, and the failure to find function calls like this,
      > are my only two real gripes:
      >
      > var = myfunc
      > ( arg1, arg2);

      Did not know about that, but I have a lot of functions invoked and
      written like this. This gets me the feeling that cscope is really such a
      poor tool.

      In the meantime I discovered Windows NTFS hard links and directory
      junctions, created with mklink in cmd.exe, can be useful.

      Timothy Madden

    • Sergey Khorev
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
        > Did not know about that, but I have a lot of functions invoked and written
        > like this. This gets me the feeling that cscope is really such a poor tool.

        Not going to discuss the usefulness of whitespaces in project names, I
        would say it is impossible to create proper C++ code parser without
        writing a considerable part of C++ compiler. This might be not the
        case for plain C, nevertheless most tools use some or another sort of
        heuristics instead of proper parsing.

        Usually I use exuberant ctags, cscope, and GNU GLOBAL alltogether. To
        use the latter within Vim, set csprg to gtags-cscope and do "cs add"
        for GTAGS file.