Re: cscope for directory names with spaces

  • Reid Thompson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
      On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 15:01 +0300, Timothy Madden wrote:
      > Hello
      >
      > Anyone has a solution for using cscope if your projects reside in a
      > directory whose name includes spaces ?
      >
      > Looks like cscope outputs in vim:
      > E609: Cscope error: cscope: cannot read trailer offset from
      > file cscope.out
      >
      > This issue is making me so nervous, it is so stupid to be unable to
      > search source code for this name-with-spaces reason.
      >
      > Any ideas ?

      as info
      http://objectmix.com/editors/149470-cscope-d-cant-find-trailer-offset-if-path-contains-space-error-when-i-use-cscope-vim.html

    • Reid Thompson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
        On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 12:08 -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
        > On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 15:01 +0300, Timothy Madden wrote:
        > > Hello
        > >
        > > Anyone has a solution for using cscope if your projects reside in a
        > > directory whose name includes spaces ?
        > >
        > > Looks like cscope outputs in vim:
        > > E609: Cscope error: cscope: cannot read trailer offset from
        > > file cscope.out
        > >
        > > This issue is making me so nervous, it is so stupid to be unable to
        > > search source code for this name-with-spaces reason.
        > >
        > > Any ideas ?
        >
        > as info
        > http://objectmix.com/editors/149470-cscope-d-cant-find-trailer-offset-if-path-contains-space-error-when-i-use-cscope-vim.html

        specifically
        http://sites.google.com/site/khorser/opensource
        may be of interest

      • Timothy Madden
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
          On 01.10.2010 18:30, Ben Fritz wrote:

          > On Oct 1, 7:01 am, Timothy Madden<terminato...@...> wrote:
          >> Hello
          >>
          >> Anyone has a solution for using cscope if your projects reside in a
          >> directory whose name includes spaces ?
          >>
          >> Looks like cscope outputs in vim:
          >> E609: Cscope error: cscope: cannot read trailer offset from
          >> file cscope.out
          >>
          >> This issue is making me so nervous, it is so stupid to be unable to
          >> search source code for this name-with-spaces reason.
          >>
          >> Any ideas ?
          >>

          > On Windows, when building the database, you can probably use short-
          > path style names.
          >
          > E.g. C:\Progra~1\Vim\vim73
          >
          > I agree it really is annoying that Cscope cannot seem to handle paths
          > with spaces. That, and the failure to find function calls like this,
          > are my only two real gripes:
          >
          > var = myfunc
          > ( arg1, arg2);

          Did not know about that, but I have a lot of functions invoked and
          written like this. This gets me the feeling that cscope is really such a
          poor tool.

          In the meantime I discovered Windows NTFS hard links and directory
          junctions, created with mklink in cmd.exe, can be useful.

          Timothy Madden

        • Sergey Khorev
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
            > Did not know about that, but I have a lot of functions invoked and written
            > like this. This gets me the feeling that cscope is really such a poor tool.

            Not going to discuss the usefulness of whitespaces in project names, I
            would say it is impossible to create proper C++ code parser without
            writing a considerable part of C++ compiler. This might be not the
            case for plain C, nevertheless most tools use some or another sort of
            heuristics instead of proper parsing.

            Usually I use exuberant ctags, cscope, and GNU GLOBAL alltogether. To
            use the latter within Vim, set csprg to gtags-cscope and do "cs add"
            for GTAGS file.