cscope for directory names with spaces

  • Timothy Madden
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hello

      Anyone has a solution for using cscope if your projects reside in a
      directory whose name includes spaces ?

      Looks like cscope outputs in vim:
      E609: Cscope error: cscope: cannot read trailer offset from
      file cscope.out

      This issue is making me so nervous, it is so stupid to be unable to
      search source code for this name-with-spaces reason.

      Any ideas ?

      Thank you,
      Timothy Madden

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
        On Oct 1, 7:01 am, Timothy Madden <terminato...@...> wrote:
        > Hello
        >
        > Anyone has a solution for using cscope if your projects reside in a
        > directory whose name includes spaces ?
        >
        > Looks like cscope outputs in vim:
        >         E609: Cscope error: cscope: cannot read trailer offset from
        >                                         file cscope.out
        >
        > This issue is making me so nervous, it is so stupid to be unable to
        > search source code for this name-with-spaces reason.
        >
        > Any ideas ?

        On Windows, when building the database, you can probably use short-
        path style names.

        E.g. C:\Progra~1\Vim\vim73

        I agree it really is annoying that Cscope cannot seem to handle paths
        with spaces. That, and the failure to find function calls like this,
        are my only two real gripes:

        var = myfunc
        ( arg1, arg2);

      • Reid Thompson
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
          On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 15:01 +0300, Timothy Madden wrote:
          > Hello
          >
          > Anyone has a solution for using cscope if your projects reside in a
          > directory whose name includes spaces ?
          >
          > Looks like cscope outputs in vim:
          > E609: Cscope error: cscope: cannot read trailer offset from
          > file cscope.out
          >
          > This issue is making me so nervous, it is so stupid to be unable to
          > search source code for this name-with-spaces reason.
          >
          > Any ideas ?

          as info
          http://objectmix.com/editors/149470-cscope-d-cant-find-trailer-offset-if-path-contains-space-error-when-i-use-cscope-vim.html

        • Reid Thompson
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
            On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 12:08 -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
            > On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 15:01 +0300, Timothy Madden wrote:
            > > Hello
            > >
            > > Anyone has a solution for using cscope if your projects reside in a
            > > directory whose name includes spaces ?
            > >
            > > Looks like cscope outputs in vim:
            > > E609: Cscope error: cscope: cannot read trailer offset from
            > > file cscope.out
            > >
            > > This issue is making me so nervous, it is so stupid to be unable to
            > > search source code for this name-with-spaces reason.
            > >
            > > Any ideas ?
            >
            > as info
            > http://objectmix.com/editors/149470-cscope-d-cant-find-trailer-offset-if-path-contains-space-error-when-i-use-cscope-vim.html

            specifically
            http://sites.google.com/site/khorser/opensource
            may be of interest

          • Timothy Madden
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
              On 01.10.2010 18:30, Ben Fritz wrote:

              > On Oct 1, 7:01 am, Timothy Madden<terminato...@...> wrote:
              >> Hello
              >>
              >> Anyone has a solution for using cscope if your projects reside in a
              >> directory whose name includes spaces ?
              >>
              >> Looks like cscope outputs in vim:
              >> E609: Cscope error: cscope: cannot read trailer offset from
              >> file cscope.out
              >>
              >> This issue is making me so nervous, it is so stupid to be unable to
              >> search source code for this name-with-spaces reason.
              >>
              >> Any ideas ?
              >>

              > On Windows, when building the database, you can probably use short-
              > path style names.
              >
              > E.g. C:\Progra~1\Vim\vim73
              >
              > I agree it really is annoying that Cscope cannot seem to handle paths
              > with spaces. That, and the failure to find function calls like this,
              > are my only two real gripes:
              >
              > var = myfunc
              > ( arg1, arg2);

              Did not know about that, but I have a lot of functions invoked and
              written like this. This gets me the feeling that cscope is really such a
              poor tool.

              In the meantime I discovered Windows NTFS hard links and directory
              junctions, created with mklink in cmd.exe, can be useful.

              Timothy Madden

            • Sergey Khorev
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
                > Did not know about that, but I have a lot of functions invoked and written
                > like this. This gets me the feeling that cscope is really such a poor tool.

                Not going to discuss the usefulness of whitespaces in project names, I
                would say it is impossible to create proper C++ code parser without
                writing a considerable part of C++ compiler. This might be not the
                case for plain C, nevertheless most tools use some or another sort of
                heuristics instead of proper parsing.

                Usually I use exuberant ctags, cscope, and GNU GLOBAL alltogether. To
                use the latter within Vim, set csprg to gtags-cscope and do "cs add"
                for GTAGS file.