Re: gvim, how to search tab by name and then go to this tab?

  • Timothy Madden
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
      On 30.09.2010 23:26, Simon Ruderich wrote:
      > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:24:52PM +0800, Zac Lee wrote:
      >> gvim, how to search tab by name and then go to this tab?
      >
      > You shouldn't use tabs like in other text editors. To quote
      > vimgor (the bot) in #vim:
      >
      > tabs
      > Tab pages are not buffers, don't try to force them to act
      > like buffers. Consider tab pages like viewports, layouts, or
      > workspaces. Trying to setup 1 tab page == 1 buffer is an
      > exercise in futility. Do ':set hidden' and get started. Get
      > FuzzyFinder, LustyExplorer or BufExplorer to make getting
      > around your buffers easier. See
      > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tabs for more info.
      >
      > buffers
      > For a quick intro to vim's windows, buffers, and tabs, see
      > http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9031/windowsv.png and
      > http://vim.pastey.net/115548 See also ':help tab-page-intro'
      > and ':help windows-intro'
      >
      > Better use buffers and tabs only if you need different "views" on
      > some buffers in a window.

      And how do I work with multiple open files like other editors ?

      Timothy Madden

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
        On Oct 1, 5:36 am, Timothy Madden <terminato...@...> wrote:

        > And how do I work with multiple open files like other editors ?

        Use buffers, or split windows, or tabs, with the understanding that:

        A tab contains any number of windows
        A window shows a single buffer
        A buffer can appear in any number of windows (even zero) in any number
        of tabs

        What Simon is pointing out, is that "tab" is a bad name for the "tab
        pages" in Vim, because users expect them to act like tabs in other
        text editors, where you are locked into a single file per tab, and
        only one tab per file. In Vim, a tab-page is really more like a
        "workspace" which you can use for a large variety of things.

        See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tabs for some ideas and details.