Re: tab name in MacVim

  • sc
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
      On Thursday 02 September 2010 16:01:47 mitch wrote:

      > I'm using MacVim 7.2. Not sure if this question is specific
      > to the Mac or general to Vim.

      > I'm creating a new tab, and then dragging a file onto the tab.
      > The file opens fine. In the title of the tab, Vim is trying
      > to fit the whole directory path and file name. It doesn't
      > fit and so it's unreadable. I'd prefer to have it just put
      > the file name, without the directory path, in the tab title.
      > Is there a way to set it up so it always does this? Thanks.

      this is just a guess but you might have a look at the
      'titlestring', see if you can define your own without the path

      see

      :h titlestring

      for an explanation and some examples

      sc

    • ZyX
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
        присланное в 02:28:05 03 сентября 2010, Пятница,
        отправитель sc:

        I think that 'tabline' and 'guitablabel' options are more suitable in this case.

        Текст сообщения:
        > On Thursday 02 September 2010 16:01:47 mitch wrote:
        > > I'm using MacVim 7.2. Not sure if this question is specific
        > > to the Mac or general to Vim.
        > >
        > > I'm creating a new tab, and then dragging a file onto the tab.
        > >
        > > The file opens fine. In the title of the tab, Vim is trying
        > >
        > > to fit the whole directory path and file name. It doesn't
        > > fit and so it's unreadable. I'd prefer to have it just put
        > > the file name, without the directory path, in the tab title.
        > > Is there a way to set it up so it always does this? Thanks.
        >
        > this is just a guess but you might have a look at the
        > 'titlestring', see if you can define your own without the path
        >
        > see
        >
        > :h titlestring
        >
        > for an explanation and some examples
        >
        > sc
      • sc
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
          On Thursday 02 September 2010 18:14:41 ZyX wrote:

          > I think that 'tabline' and 'guitablabel' options are more
          > suitable in this case.

          oops -- he did say "title of the tab" didn't he -- my bad

          sc

        • mitch
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2010
            It looks like :set guitablabel=%t guitabtooltip=%F should do what I
            want. It would be nice to see the simple file name as the label
            visible all the time, and the full path as the tooltip. But the
            tooltip isn't working. It almost looks like guitabtooltip doesn't
            work with macvim. Does anybody know about this, or is there something
            I have to do to set it up to work? Thanks.

            On Sep 2, 8:35 pm, sc <tooth...@...> wrote:
            > On Thursday 02 September 2010 18:14:41 ZyX wrote:
            >
            > > I think that 'tabline' and 'guitablabel' options are more
            > > suitable in this case.
            >
            > oops -- he did say "title of the tab" didn't he -- my bad
            >
            > sc

          • björn
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2010
              On Sep 3, 1:42 pm, mitch <mitch.g...@...> wrote:
              > It looks like :set guitablabel=%t guitabtooltip=%F should do what I
              > want.  It would be nice to see the simple file name as the label
              > visible all the time, and the full path as the tooltip.  But the
              > tooltip isn't working.  It almost looks like guitabtooltip doesn't
              > work with macvim.  Does anybody know about this, or is there something
              > I have to do to set it up to work?  Thanks.

              I can't remember if 'guitabtooltip' is supported with the (ancient)
              version of MacVim you are using. If you upgrade to MacVim 7.3 [1] it
              will work (nb. requires 10.5+, I haven't built a 10.4 version yet).
              Oh, and that version has the following default:

              set guitablabel=%M%t

              which is a lot more pleasant than the default behavior in 7.2.

              Björn

              [1] http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

            • mitch
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2010
                The latest one here is still 7.2

                http://code.google.com/p/macvim/downloads/list

                where is 7.3?

                On Sep 3, 9:11 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

                > I can't remember if 'guitabtooltip' is supported with the (ancient)
                > version of MacVim you are using.  If you upgrade to MacVim 7.3 [1] it
                > will work (nb. requires 10.5+, I haven't built a 10.4 version yet).
                > Oh, and that version has the following default:
                >
                > set guitablabel=%M%t
                >
                > which is a lot more pleasant than the default behavior in 7.2.
                >
                > Björn
                >
                > [1]http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

              • Israel Chauca F.
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2010
                  On Sep 3, 2010, at 2:25 PM, mitch wrote:

                  > The latest one here is still 7.2
                  >
                  > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/downloads/list
                  >
                  > where is 7.3?

                  http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads