ctags performace , parsing thousands of files ? (was `update the ctags automatically, how to do ?`)

  • Aaron Lewis
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2 5:00 AM

      Anyone ever think about the performance of ctags ?
      Parsing thousands of files could be really slow , and if a time stamp
      checked before parsing files ( avoiding files that has totally no change at
      all ) , it should be much faster.

      Right , just ideas , haven't tried before , and .. don't know how to implement
      for the while .. bit complex somehow.

      Could anyone help me check this ?

      --
      Best Regards,
      Aaron Lewis - PGP: 0x4A6D32A0
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2 5:47 AM
        On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 20:00 +0800, Aaron Lewis wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Anyone ever think about the performance of ctags ?
        > Parsing thousands of files could be really slow , and if a time stamp
        > checked before parsing files ( avoiding files that has totally no change at
        > all ) , it should be much faster.
        >
        > Right , just ideas , haven't tried before , and .. don't know how to implement
        > for the while .. bit complex somehow.
        >
        > Could anyone help me check this ?

        8842 files, 4686170 lines in 10.4 seconds

        $ ls
        ccache gtk+ obj
        dirs gtkhtml openchange
        evolution libgweather samba
        evolution-data-server local.mk samba4_ver.sh
        evolution-exchange Makefile samba4_ver.sh.clean
        evolution-mapi Makefile.current tags.list
        evolution-webcal Makefile.working.200100208
        glib Makefile.working.20100519
        rthompso@raker>~/evo-git-head
        $ wc -l tags.list
        8842 tags.list
        rthompso@raker>~/evo-git-head
        $ ctags --totals=yes --java-types= -L tags.list
        8842 files, 4686170 lines (139323 kB) scanned in 10.4 seconds (13448
        kB/s)
        278949 tags added to tag file
        278949 tags sorted in 0.00 seconds

      • Aaron Lewis
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2 5:57 AM
          Hi, Reid,

          Just back to my box , tried with Chromium Browser , seems like i shouldn't
          worry about this.

          * ctags --totals=yes --java-types= -L tags.list
          ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in
          ./third_party/WebKit/SunSpider/tests/string-unpack-code.js
          ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in
          ./third_party/WebKit/WebCore/inspector/front-end/ElementsTreeOutline.js
          ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in
          ./third_party/WebKit/WebCore/inspector/front-end/Drawer.js
          ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in
          ./third_party/WebKit/WebCore/English.lproj/localizedStrings.js
          ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in
          ./chrome/browser/resources/net_internals/logviewpainter.js
          ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in
          ./chrome/browser/resources/net_internals/timelineviewpainter.js
          27419 files, 8567940 lines (367739 kB) scanned in 19.6 seconds (18762 kB/s)
          706205 tags added to tag file
          706205 tags sorted in 0.03 seconds

          * wc -l tags.list
          36093 tags.list