update the ctags automatically, how to do ?

  • coolesting
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
      As the topic as i said, normally, we fix the script or change the name of the
      function,

      we need to update the tags list, how to do automatically in vim.

      thanks for good idea to me, much appreciate.

    • Xell Liu
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010

        I'd run into this topic some time ago and there are some resources I think you may be interested in. However I have no concrete answer.
         - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/155449/vim-auto-generate-ctags
         - http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Autocmd_to_update_ctags_file
         - http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1343
         - http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1535
         - http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=100

        Regards,
        Xell

        On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:28 PM, coolesting <coolesting@...> wrote:

        As the topic as i said, normally, we fix the script or change the name of the
        function,

        we need to update the tags list, how to do automatically in vim.

        thanks for good idea to me, much appreciate.

      • Aaron Lewis
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010

          Anyone ever think about the performance of ctags ?
          Parsing thousands of files could be really slow , and if a time stamp
          checked before parsing files ( avoiding files that has totally no change at
          all ) , it should be much faster.

          Right , just ideas , haven't tried before , and .. don't know how to implement
          for the while .. bit complex somehow.

          Could anyone help me check this ?

          --
          Best Regards,
          Aaron Lewis - PGP: 0x4A6D32A0
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010
            On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 20:00 +0800, Aaron Lewis wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > Anyone ever think about the performance of ctags ?
            > Parsing thousands of files could be really slow , and if a time stamp
            > checked before parsing files ( avoiding files that has totally no change at
            > all ) , it should be much faster.
            >
            > Right , just ideas , haven't tried before , and .. don't know how to implement
            > for the while .. bit complex somehow.
            >
            > Could anyone help me check this ?

            8842 files, 4686170 lines in 10.4 seconds

            $ ls
            ccache gtk+ obj
            dirs gtkhtml openchange
            evolution libgweather samba
            evolution-data-server local.mk samba4_ver.sh
            evolution-exchange Makefile samba4_ver.sh.clean
            evolution-mapi Makefile.current tags.list
            evolution-webcal Makefile.working.200100208
            glib Makefile.working.20100519
            rthompso@raker>~/evo-git-head
            $ wc -l tags.list
            8842 tags.list
            rthompso@raker>~/evo-git-head
            $ ctags --totals=yes --java-types= -L tags.list
            8842 files, 4686170 lines (139323 kB) scanned in 10.4 seconds (13448
            kB/s)
            278949 tags added to tag file
            278949 tags sorted in 0.00 seconds

          • Aaron Lewis
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010
              Hi, Reid,

              Just back to my box , tried with Chromium Browser , seems like i shouldn't
              worry about this.

              * ctags --totals=yes --java-types= -L tags.list
              ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in
              ./third_party/WebKit/SunSpider/tests/string-unpack-code.js
              ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in
              ./third_party/WebKit/WebCore/inspector/front-end/ElementsTreeOutline.js
              ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in
              ./third_party/WebKit/WebCore/inspector/front-end/Drawer.js
              ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in
              ./third_party/WebKit/WebCore/English.lproj/localizedStrings.js
              ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in
              ./chrome/browser/resources/net_internals/logviewpainter.js
              ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in
              ./chrome/browser/resources/net_internals/timelineviewpainter.js
              27419 files, 8567940 lines (367739 kB) scanned in 19.6 seconds (18762 kB/s)
              706205 tags added to tag file
              706205 tags sorted in 0.03 seconds

              * wc -l tags.list
              36093 tags.list