ctags output available via taglist

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2010
      Vim 7.3.

      Is it possible to use a system() call to get the output from running
      ctags and somehow pipe that input so that it is available via the
      taglist() function?

      Or at least provide that output into something that will parse it and
      provide it via one of Vim's functions?

      This has to be dynamic, so I can't specify a tags file via:
      set tags=

      Thanks for any suggestions.
      Dave

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2010
        On 2010-08-31, David Fishburn wrote:
        > Vim 7.3.
        >
        > Is it possible to use a system() call to get the output from running
        > ctags and somehow pipe that input so that it is available via the
        > taglist() function?
        >
        > Or at least provide that output into something that will parse it and
        > provide it via one of Vim's functions?
        >
        > This has to be dynamic, so I can't specify a tags file via:
        > set tags=

        You might take a look at the ctags.vim plugin,
        http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=610. The
        GenerateTags() function uses system() to execute ctags and collect
        its output into one string which it then parses.

        HTH,
        Gary