Re: Problem with VIM GUI

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2010
      On Aug 30, 9:55 am, yosi izaq <izaq...@...> wrote:

      > Also gvim GUI is blocked. i.e. I cant get to insert mode nor to : for
      > setting options. The GUI seems to be completely unresponsive.
      > Another interesting thing is that both on Cygwin and on Linux the
      > problem happens when launching gvim from xwin (xterm). When I connect
      > to Linux via VNC, gvim GUI works ok. Perhaps there's an offensive
      > xwin/terminal setting causing this mayhem.

      First step: see if it's a problem in your configuration.

      Launch vim with:
      gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE

      Does the same behavior occur?

    • yosi izaq
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2010
        > First step: see if it's a problem in your configuration.
        >
        > Launch vim with:
        > gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
        >
        > Does the same behavior occur?

        Yes.
        So this test result concldes that there's no configuration problem. right?

        I am now more convinced that this is caused by a Cygwin Xwin (ver.
        1.8.2) configuration/behavior/bug. I frequently update cygwin packages
        so it's likely this was introduced in one of the latest builds.
        Supporting that is the fact that this problem only started happening
        recently.

        thx,
        Yosi

      • yosi izaq
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 31, 2010
          Note that the issue is gone after restart of Cygwin, though after a
          certain amount of time that the X server is up, it returns. So, looks
          like a Cygwin X server bug with a workaround - restart Cygwin. I think
          the Linux problem is derivative of the Cygwin problem. I.e. I'm sshing
          from Cygwin Xterm to Linux.

          Now I'm just curios as to what exactly is going on there but I guess
          I'll just have to live w/o getting to the bottom of that.

          Thanks!
          Yosi