Re: Request for Win Gvim to match *nix re: .vimrc/.gvimrc/.vim

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010
      On 05/08/10 08:10, Linda W wrote:
      > On 7/23/2010 6:49 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >> When I was on dual-boot I used the converse (notice the use of the 8.3
      >> name for "Documents and Settings" in order to avoid troublesome spaces
      >> in the path):
      >>
      >> cd $HOME
      >> ln -sv /mnt/dos/c/DOCUME~1/tony/vimfiles .vim
      >> ln -sv /mnt/dos/c/DOCUME~1/tony/_vimrc .vimrc
      > ----
      > I found it more unix'y just to ditch documents and settings
      > and rename it to "home". With Win7, they switched to 'users', which was
      > fine. But XP supports you telling it where the home dirs are.
      >
      >> [This meant scripts with Unix LF's]...
      > ---
      > Been doing that for some time. I had my cygwin vim installation
      > using my Windows Gvim common files so I could keep 1 copy. Just made
      > all the win files use "LF".
      >

      >> And other portability issues should be taken care of when they arise --
      >> in the Vim fasion, usually by testing has('unix') or similar.
      > ----
      > Well, while it is possible to program around just about anything,
      > I'd rather see the Windows GVIM be like the Linux one.
      >
      > ESPECIALLY in being able to edit unicode files.
      > Try editing Mixed Japanese/Romaji and Latin(English) files in Win GVIM
      > in a default font of Lucida_Console. Works on Linux, but not Windows.
      > In fact works on Linux TTY as well as the graphical version, but on
      > Windows -- you just get junk.

      For mixed CJK/Latin I used MingLiU when I was on XP. Worked quite well.
      Or there are other available CJK fonts (names with Mincho or Gothic in
      them IIRC).

      In fact my personal frontpage http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/
      was started in gvim when I was on Windows. As "View Source" will show
      you, it is in "real" UTF-8, not using &something; entities, or at least
      not for Russian, Arabic and CJK text. I dutifully switched fonts:
      MingLiU for Chinese or for mixed Chinese and Latin, Lucida_Console or
      Courier_New for Latin, Courier_New only for Cyrillic because (at least
      at the time) Lucida_Console bold Cyrillic glyphs were 1px wider than its
      non-bold Cyrillic glyphs, and also for Arabic because it had the
      necessary glyphs.

      See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode for details. AFAIK
      that article is OS-agnostic.

      > It's like the Windows version of GVIM seems to be crippled compared
      > to the linux X or TTY versions.
      >
      > Thus my desire to move Windows GVIM -> toward equality with the linux
      > platform.

      Eat the rich -- the poor are tough and stringy.