Re: need help with tags - SOLVED (sort of)

  • Charles Campbell
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
      wfdudley wrote:
      > I decided that the problem has to be in the EXINIT string, since that is
      > the only difference in the accounts that don't work, and my account.
      >
      > I find that if I set EXINIT to "ic" EXINIT="set ic", then tags works.
      >
      > I can't explain this. The case of the tags in my tags file is exactly the
      > same case as the symbols referenced in the source code.
      >
      > Bill Dudley

      I wonder if you're getting vim confused as to whether you have a
      ctags-style tags file or an emacs-style TAGS file.

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell

    • wfdudley
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
        I didn't even know emacs HAD tags support.

        I just copied the format of a file output by ctags for my ptags output.

        What's the difference in formats?

        dud

        On 8/2/10, Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
        > wfdudley wrote:
        >> I decided that the problem has to be in the EXINIT string, since that is
        >> the only difference in the accounts that don't work, and my account.
        >>
        >> I find that if I set EXINIT to "ic" EXINIT="set ic", then tags works.
        >>
        >> I can't explain this. The case of the tags in my tags file is exactly the
        >> same case as the symbols referenced in the source code.
        >>
        >> Bill Dudley
        >
        > I wonder if you're getting vim confused as to whether you have a
        > ctags-style tags file or an emacs-style TAGS file.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Chip Campbell

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
          wfdudley wrote:
          > I didn't even know emacs HAD tags support.
          >
          > I just copied the format of a file output by ctags for my ptags output.
          >
          > What's the difference in formats?

          I admit that I haven't bothered to determine what emac's TAGS format is;
          I note that it has some control characters in it (see man etags). One
          obvious difference is that ctags produces <tags> files and etags
          produces <TAGS> files. You can determine if your vim has emacs-tags
          support by:

          :version (and looking for +emacs_tags in the output)

          or by typing

          :echo has("emacs_tags")

          So, are your tags files <tags> or <TAGS>? Still, I have +emacs_tags
          support with the vim I've compiled, but regular tags work for both
          <tags> and <TAGS>, so I'm not sure that this is the kernel of your problem.

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell

        • wfdudley
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
            My tags file is called "tags", because I copied the output of ctags.

            I have no idea why "set ai" would cause this feature to start working, but
            it does.

            Bill Dudley

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2010
              On 02/08/10 17:27, wfdudley wrote:
              > I decided that the problem has to be in the EXINIT string, since that is
              > the only difference in the accounts that don't work, and my account.
              >
              > I find that if I set EXINIT to "ic" EXINIT="set ic", then tags works.
              >
              > I can't explain this. The case of the tags in my tags file is exactly the
              > same case as the symbols referenced in the source code.
              >
              > Bill Dudley

              There is one important effect of 'ignorecase' on Vim's tags subsystem's
              behaviour, and here it is: when using a sorted tags file and binary
              search to make tags finding faster, the tags file must be sorted
              case-folded (b between A and C) if 'ignorecase' is on, it must be sorted
              on ASCII value (a after Z) if 'ignorecase' is off. If the file uses the
              wrong sort order you must tell Vim not to use binary search.

              The tags file can contain a header line indicating whether it is
              unsorted, ASCII-sorted or casefold-sorted. Of course, if you re-sort the
              file, the flag in that line must be changed.

              See :help 'tagbsearch' for details.

              I'll grant thee random access to my heart,
              Thoul't tell me all the constants of thy love;
              And so we two shall all love's lemmas prove
              And in our bound partition never part.
              -- Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"