Re: Vim 7.3c ready for beta testing

  • Yue Wu
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
      On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:13:39 +0800, Dominique Pellé
      <dominique.pelle@...> wrote:

      > Yue Wu <vanopen@...> wrote:

      >>> that vim73

      >>> warns:

      >>> Is it only a warning, does it continue to run?
      >>
      >> Warning + can't run.
      >
      > Is there an error number along with it?
      > Can you provide the full error/warning so we can google search for it?
      >
      > I found this which looks similar and may help:
      >
      > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812486

      No any error number, a dialog says vim is not a valid Win32 application,
      after close the dialog, nothing happens. Attach is the shot.

      Yue Wu

      Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
      Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
      China Pharmaceutical University
      No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China

    • Yukihiro Nakadaira
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
        [Visual C++ 2010: Supported Platforms (Visual C++)]
        [Visual C++ 2008: Supported Platforms (Visual C++)]
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235435%28VS.90%29.aspx

        Supported platforms are listed on above pages.
        Visual C++ 2010 doesn't support Windows 2000.

      • George V. Reilly
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010

          Yue Wu wrote:

          > Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
          > can't be run on windows 2000.
          >
          > After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
          > gvim is not a valid Win32 application.
          >
          > My OS is windows 2000 sp4.

          Is it only a warning, does it continue to run?

          Warning + can't run.

          Is there an error number along with it?
          Can you provide the full error/warning so we can google search for it?

          I found this which looks similar and may help:

           http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812486

          No any error number, a dialog says vim is not a valid Win32 application, after close the dialog, nothing happens. Attach is the shot.

          It's probably due to a linker flag that was used to construct the executable's header. It may be possible to override the VS2010 linker flags in a way that will make Windows 2000 happy, but that will require some research.
          --
          /George V. Reilly  george@...  Twitter: @georgevreilly
          http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

        • George V. Reilly
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
            On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

            Yue Wu wrote:

            > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 02:35:34 +0800, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > Hello Vim users,
            > >

            > > Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA
            > >
            > > MS-WINDOWS separate files:
            > > pc/vim73crt.zip                 runtime files
            > > pc/gvim73c.zip                  GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
            > > pc/gvim73cole.zip               GUI binary with OLE support
            > > pc/gvim73c_s.zip                GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
            > > pc/vim73cd32.zip                console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
            > > pc/vim73cw32.zip                console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
            > > pc/vim73csrc.zip                sources for PC (with CR-LF)
            > >

            > Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
            > pc/vim73crt.zip).

            Since I didn't get a reply about whether older versions of the compiler,
            e.g., the 2008 one, work properly on Windows 7, I stick with the 2010
            compiler.

            I also don't know what the problem is, thus it might be possible we fix
            something to make this build with the 2010 compiler work on Windows
            2000.

            I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
            to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
            won't change.

            We're using the VS2005 compiler at work, and it and the binaries it builds runs fine on my x64 Win7 dev box. Ditto VS2008.

            MS announced last week that 175 million Windows 7 licenses had been sold, of which nearly half were for Win64. I don't know how many Windows 2000 boxes are still in active use, but it's got to be far less than 175M.
            --
            /George V. Reilly  george@...  Twitter: @georgevreilly
            http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

          • Vlad Irnov
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
              On Aug 2, 12:06 am, "Yue Wu" <vano...@...> wrote:
              > Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
              > can't be run on windows 2000.
              >
              > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:16:06 +0800, George V. Reilly <geo...@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Yue Wu <vano...@...> wrote:
              >
              > >> Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
              > >> pc/vim73crt.zip).
              >
              > > Please be more specific. What are you doing? What happens? What did you
              > > expect to happen?
              >
              > After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
              > gvim is not a valid Win32 application.
              >
              > My OS is windows 2000 sp4.

              I have exactly the same problem. Also Windows 2000, SP4, 32-bit.
              Got source and runtime from unstable/unix/vim-7.3c.tar.bz2
              Binaries from unstable/pc/gvim73c.zip , unstable/pc/vim73cw32.zip
              Error message "<path>gvim.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
              Same with vim.exe and xxd.exe.

              I then compiled gvim.exe and vim.exe with MinGW and they run just
              fine.
              BIG+Python 2.6. Instructions are here (some refinement needed):
              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Python-enabled_Vim_on_Windows_with_MinGW
              These instructions are intended for people like me: a Vim user but not
              a programmer by profession, don't know C/C++ and never compiled
              anything before.

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                On Aug 2, 2:52 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:

                > I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                > to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                > won't change.

                Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                I've used do it this way.

              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                  Ben Fritz wrote:

                  > On Aug 2, 2:52 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                  > > to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                  > > won't change.
                  > >

                  > Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                  > Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                  > I've used do it this way.

                  The problem was not with 64 bit but with Windows 2000. Apparently it's
                  caused by using MSVC 2010. I'll try building with MSVC 2008.

                  I just read that Windows 2000 still has 1% market share. It's going
                  down rapidly though.

                  --
                  It's totally unfair to suggest - as many have - that engineers are socially
                  inept. Engineers simply have different objectives when it comes to social

                • Ben Fritz
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                    On Aug 3, 3:54 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                    > Ben Fritz wrote:
                    > > On Aug 2, 2:52 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > > I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                    > > > to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                    > > > won't change.
                    >
                    > > Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                    > > Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                    > > I've used do it this way.
                    >
                    > The problem was not with 64 bit but with Windows 2000.  Apparently it's
                    > caused by using MSVC 2010.  I'll try building with MSVC 2008.

                    Right, so maybe the installers would be differently separated, but the
                    gist of my suggestion is:

                    Installer A will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2008
                    Installer B will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2010

                    Or is it too difficult/expensive to have multiple versions of Visual
                    Studio in a side-by-side installation?

                  • bill lam
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                      Втр, 03 Авг 2010, Ben Fritz писал(а):

                      > On Aug 3, 3:54 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                      > > Ben Fritz wrote:

                      > > > Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                      > > > Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                      > > > I've used do it this way.
                      > >
                      > > The problem was not with 64 bit but with Windows 2000.  Apparently it's
                      > > caused by using MSVC 2010.  I'll try building with MSVC 2008.
                      > >

                      > Right, so maybe the installers would be differently separated, but the
                      > gist of my suggestion is:
                      >
                      > Installer A will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2008
                      > Installer B will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2010
                      >
                      > Or is it too difficult/expensive to have multiple versions of Visual
                      > Studio in a side-by-side installation?

                      Unless there are some features that only present in msvc 2010, I think
                      it will be better to use the older one. IIRC it was very annoying
                      that msvc 200? that required installation of its version specific
                      msvcrt or need setting a manifest file.

                      --
                      regards,
                      GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

                    • Bram Moolenaar
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
                        Ben Fritz wrote:

                        > On Aug 3, 3:54 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                        > > Ben Fritz wrote:

                        > > > Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                        > > > Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                        > > > I've used do it this way.
                        > >
                        > > The problem was not with 64 bit but with Windows 2000. Apparently it's
                        > > caused by using MSVC 2010. I'll try building with MSVC 2008.
                        > >

                        > Right, so maybe the installers would be differently separated, but the
                        > gist of my suggestion is:
                        >
                        > Installer A will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2008
                        > Installer B will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2010
                        >
                        > Or is it too difficult/expensive to have multiple versions of Visual
                        > Studio in a side-by-side installation?

                        I don't really want to build two versions of everything. It's already a
                        big hassle to build all the MS-Windows executables, adding another
                        variant will make it even more work.

                        I'll try building a version with MSVC 2008. Then we can verify this
                        also works on Windows 7 64 bit. I think it will.

                        I don't think we can support Windows 98/ME as well. It would require
                        using MSVC 2003 and I don't think those binaries will work on Windows 7.

                        --
                        Never enter the boss's office unless it's absolutely necessary. Every boss
                        saves one corner of the desk for useless assignments that are doled out like

                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
                          On Aug 4, 6:24 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:

                          > I don't really want to build two versions of everything.  It's already a
                          > big hassle to build all the MS-Windows executables, adding another
                          > variant will make it even more work.
                          >
                          > I'll try building a version with MSVC 2008.  Then we can verify this
                          > also works on Windows 7 64 bit.  I think it will.

                          Fair enough. I think this sounds like the best plan.

                          > I don't think we can support Windows 98/ME as well.  It would require
                          > using MSVC 2003 and I don't think those binaries will work on Windows 7.

                          The source code will still work on old Windows though, correct? So
                          worst case, someone on these systems will need to get ahold of a
                          compatible Visual Studio or use MinGW or another compiler, and they
                          can still have their Vim.

                        • Bram Moolenaar
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
                            Ben Fritz wrote:

                            > On Aug 4, 6:24 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I don't really want to build two versions of everything. It's already a
                            > > big hassle to build all the MS-Windows executables, adding another
                            > > variant will make it even more work.
                            > >
                            > > I'll try building a version with MSVC 2008. Then we can verify this
                            > > also works on Windows 7 64 bit. I think it will.
                            > >

                            > Fair enough. I think this sounds like the best plan.
                            >
                            > > I don't think we can support Windows 98/ME as well. It would require
                            > > using MSVC 2003 and I don't think those binaries will work on Windows 7.
                            > >

                            > The source code will still work on old Windows though, correct? So
                            > worst case, someone on these systems will need to get ahold of a
                            > compatible Visual Studio or use MinGW or another compiler, and they
                            > can still have their Vim.

                            Sure. And there is a version for old Windows systems anyway. You do
                            need to use the "install.exe" instead of the self-installing executable.

                            6. You refuse to go to a vacation spot with no electricity and no phone lines.