Re: Vim 7.3c ready for beta testing

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2010
      I wrote:

      > Hello Vim users,
      >

      > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA

      [...]

      > Known problem: The MS-Windows self-installing executable for 7.3c does
      > not delete the install key on 64 bit systems. You can remove it through
      > the control panel.

      I managed to fix this quickly. The gvim73c.exe on the ftp site already
      has the fix.

      --
      For large projects, Team Leaders use sophisticated project management software
      to keep track of who's doing what. The software collects the lies and guesses

      You received this message from the "vim_announce" maillist.

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2010
        I wrote:

        > Hello Vim users,
        >

        > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA

        [...]

        > Known problem: The MS-Windows self-installing executable for 7.3c does
        > not delete the install key on 64 bit systems. You can remove it through
        > the control panel.

        I managed to fix this quickly. The gvim73c.exe on the ftp site already
        has the fix.

        --
        For large projects, Team Leaders use sophisticated project management software
        to keep track of who's doing what. The software collects the lies and guesses
        of the project team and organizes them in to instantly outdated charts that
        are too boring to look at closely. This is called "planning".
        (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)

      • Yue Wu
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1, 2010
          On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 02:35:34 +0800, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello Vim users,
          >

          > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA
          >
          > MS-WINDOWS separate files:
          > pc/vim73crt.zip runtime files
          > pc/gvim73c.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
          > pc/gvim73cole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
          > pc/gvim73c_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
          > pc/vim73cd32.zip console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
          > pc/vim73cw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
          > pc/vim73csrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

          Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
          pc/vim73crt.zip).

          Yue Wu

          Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
          Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
          China Pharmaceutical University
          No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China

        • George V. Reilly
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 1, 2010
            On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Yue Wu <vanopen@...> wrote:

            Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip).

            Please be more specific. What are you doing? What happens? What did you expect to happen?
            --
            /George V. Reilly  george@...  Twitter: @georgevreilly
            http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

          • Yue Wu
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 1, 2010
              Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
              can't be run on windows 2000.

              On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:16:06 +0800, George V. Reilly <george@...>
              wrote:

              > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Yue Wu <vanopen@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
              >> pc/vim73crt.zip).
              >>

              > Please be more specific. What are you doing? What happens? What did you
              > expect to happen?

              After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
              gvim is not a valid Win32 application.

              My OS is windows 2000 sp4.

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                Yue Wu wrote:

                > Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
                > can't be run on windows 2000.
                >
                > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:16:06 +0800, George V. Reilly <george@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Yue Wu <vanopen@...> wrote:
                > >

                > >> Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
                > >> pc/vim73crt.zip).
                > >>

                > > Please be more specific. What are you doing? What happens? What did you
                > > expect to happen?
                >
                > After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
                > gvim is not a valid Win32 application.
                >
                > My OS is windows 2000 sp4.

                Is it only a warning, does it continue to run?

                Perhaps this is just a matter of a flag somewhere.

                --
                A salesperson says: Translation:
                "backward compatible" Old technology

                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Yue Wu wrote:

                  > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 02:35:34 +0800, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >

                  > > Hello Vim users,
                  > >

                  > > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA
                  > >
                  > > MS-WINDOWS separate files:
                  > > pc/vim73crt.zip runtime files
                  > > pc/gvim73c.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
                  > > pc/gvim73cole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
                  > > pc/gvim73c_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
                  > > pc/vim73cd32.zip console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
                  > > pc/vim73cw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
                  > > pc/vim73csrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)
                  > >

                  > Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
                  > pc/vim73crt.zip).

                  Since I didn't get a reply about whether older versions of the compiler,
                  e.g., the 2008 one, work properly on Windows 7, I stick with the 2010
                  compiler.

                  I also don't know what the problem is, thus it might be possible we fix
                  something to make this build with the 2010 compiler work on Windows
                  2000.

                  I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                  to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                  won't change.

                  --
                  The only way the average employee can speak to an executive is by taking a
                  second job as a golf caddie.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                    On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 09:52:34AM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > Yue Wu wrote:
                    >
                    > > Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
                    > > can't be run on windows 2000.
                    > >
                    > > After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
                    > > gvim is not a valid Win32 application.
                    > >
                    > > My OS is windows 2000 sp4.
                    >
                    > Is it only a warning, does it continue to run?

                    Warning + can't run.

                    > Perhaps this is just a matter of a flag somewhere.

                    Sorry, I don't know much about programming :(

                    On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 09:52:35AM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > Yue Wu wrote:
                    >
                    > > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 02:35:34 +0800, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > Hello Vim users,
                    > > >

                    > > > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA
                    > > >
                    > > > MS-WINDOWS separate files:
                    > > > pc/vim73crt.zip runtime files
                    > > > pc/gvim73c.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
                    > > > pc/gvim73cole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
                    > > > pc/gvim73c_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
                    > > > pc/vim73cd32.zip console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
                    > > > pc/vim73cw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
                    > > > pc/vim73csrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)
                    > > >

                    > I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                    > to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                    > won't change.

                    But the description of the files say they're for Windows 2000, if they still
                    break and don't plan to have a change even till release, then win2k should be
                    removed from the supporting OS list, though I really don't hope it becomes
                    true.

                    Yue Wu

                    Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
                    Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
                    China Pharmaceutical University
                    No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China

                  • Dominique Pellé
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                      Yue Wu <vanopen@...> wrote:

                      > On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 09:52:34AM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Yue Wu wrote:
                      >>
                      >> > Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
                      >> > can't be run on windows 2000.
                      >> >
                      >> > After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
                      >> > gvim is not a valid Win32 application.
                      >> >
                      >> > My OS is windows 2000 sp4.
                      >>
                      >> Is it only a warning, does it continue to run?
                      >
                      > Warning + can't run.

                      Is there an error number along with it?
                      Can you provide the full error/warning so we can google search for it?

                      I found this which looks similar and may help:

                      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812486

                      -- Dominique

                    • Yue Wu
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                        On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:13:39 +0800, Dominique Pellé
                        <dominique.pelle@...> wrote:

                        > Yue Wu <vanopen@...> wrote:

                        >>> that vim73

                        >>> warns:

                        >>> Is it only a warning, does it continue to run?
                        >>
                        >> Warning + can't run.
                        >
                        > Is there an error number along with it?
                        > Can you provide the full error/warning so we can google search for it?
                        >
                        > I found this which looks similar and may help:
                        >
                        > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812486

                        No any error number, a dialog says vim is not a valid Win32 application,
                        after close the dialog, nothing happens. Attach is the shot.

                        Yue Wu

                        Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
                        Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
                        China Pharmaceutical University
                        No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China

                      • Yukihiro Nakadaira
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                          [Visual C++ 2010: Supported Platforms (Visual C++)]
                          [Visual C++ 2008: Supported Platforms (Visual C++)]
                          http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235435%28VS.90%29.aspx

                          Supported platforms are listed on above pages.
                          Visual C++ 2010 doesn't support Windows 2000.

                        • George V. Reilly
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010

                            Yue Wu wrote:

                            > Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
                            > can't be run on windows 2000.
                            >
                            > After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
                            > gvim is not a valid Win32 application.
                            >
                            > My OS is windows 2000 sp4.

                            Is it only a warning, does it continue to run?

                            Warning + can't run.

                            Is there an error number along with it?
                            Can you provide the full error/warning so we can google search for it?

                            I found this which looks similar and may help:

                             http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812486

                            No any error number, a dialog says vim is not a valid Win32 application, after close the dialog, nothing happens. Attach is the shot.

                            It's probably due to a linker flag that was used to construct the executable's header. It may be possible to override the VS2010 linker flags in a way that will make Windows 2000 happy, but that will require some research.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                              On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

                              Yue Wu wrote:

                              > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 02:35:34 +0800, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >

                              > > Hello Vim users,
                              > >

                              > > Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA
                              > >
                              > > MS-WINDOWS separate files:
                              > > pc/vim73crt.zip                 runtime files
                              > > pc/gvim73c.zip                  GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
                              > > pc/gvim73cole.zip               GUI binary with OLE support
                              > > pc/gvim73c_s.zip                GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
                              > > pc/vim73cd32.zip                console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
                              > > pc/vim73cw32.zip                console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
                              > > pc/vim73csrc.zip                sources for PC (with CR-LF)
                              > >

                              > Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
                              > pc/vim73crt.zip).

                              Since I didn't get a reply about whether older versions of the compiler,
                              e.g., the 2008 one, work properly on Windows 7, I stick with the 2010
                              compiler.

                              I also don't know what the problem is, thus it might be possible we fix
                              something to make this build with the 2010 compiler work on Windows
                              2000.

                              I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                              to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                              won't change.

                              We're using the VS2005 compiler at work, and it and the binaries it builds runs fine on my x64 Win7 dev box. Ditto VS2008.

                              MS announced last week that 175 million Windows 7 licenses had been sold, of which nearly half were for Win64. I don't know how many Windows 2000 boxes are still in active use, but it's got to be far less than 175M.
                              --
                              /George V. Reilly  george@...  Twitter: @georgevreilly
                              http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

                            • Vlad Irnov
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                                On Aug 2, 12:06 am, "Yue Wu" <vano...@...> wrote:
                                > Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
                                > can't be run on windows 2000.
                                >
                                > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:16:06 +0800, George V. Reilly <geo...@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >
                                > > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Yue Wu <vano...@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > >> Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
                                > >> pc/vim73crt.zip).
                                >
                                > > Please be more specific. What are you doing? What happens? What did you
                                > > expect to happen?
                                >
                                > After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
                                > gvim is not a valid Win32 application.
                                >
                                > My OS is windows 2000 sp4.

                                I have exactly the same problem. Also Windows 2000, SP4, 32-bit.
                                Got source and runtime from unstable/unix/vim-7.3c.tar.bz2
                                Binaries from unstable/pc/gvim73c.zip , unstable/pc/vim73cw32.zip
                                Error message "<path>gvim.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
                                Same with vim.exe and xxd.exe.

                                I then compiled gvim.exe and vim.exe with MinGW and they run just
                                fine.
                                BIG+Python 2.6. Instructions are here (some refinement needed):
                                http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Python-enabled_Vim_on_Windows_with_MinGW
                                These instructions are intended for people like me: a Vim user but not
                                a programmer by profession, don't know C/C++ and never compiled
                                anything before.

                              • Ben Fritz
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                                  On Aug 2, 2:52 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:

                                  > I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                                  > to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                                  > won't change.

                                  Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                                  Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                                  I've used do it this way.

                                • Bram Moolenaar
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                                    Ben Fritz wrote:

                                    > On Aug 2, 2:52 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                                    > > to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                                    > > won't change.
                                    > >

                                    > Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                                    > Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                                    > I've used do it this way.

                                    The problem was not with 64 bit but with Windows 2000. Apparently it's
                                    caused by using MSVC 2010. I'll try building with MSVC 2008.

                                    I just read that Windows 2000 still has 1% market share. It's going
                                    down rapidly though.

                                    --
                                    It's totally unfair to suggest - as many have - that engineers are socially
                                    inept. Engineers simply have different objectives when it comes to social

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                                      On Aug 3, 3:54 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                                      > Ben Fritz wrote:
                                      > > On Aug 2, 2:52 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > > I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                                      > > > to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                                      > > > won't change.
                                      >
                                      > > Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                                      > > Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                                      > > I've used do it this way.
                                      >
                                      > The problem was not with 64 bit but with Windows 2000.  Apparently it's
                                      > caused by using MSVC 2010.  I'll try building with MSVC 2008.

                                      Right, so maybe the installers would be differently separated, but the
                                      gist of my suggestion is:

                                      Installer A will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2008
                                      Installer B will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2010

                                      Or is it too difficult/expensive to have multiple versions of Visual
                                      Studio in a side-by-side installation?

                                    • bill lam
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                                        Втр, 03 Авг 2010, Ben Fritz писал(а):

                                        > On Aug 3, 3:54 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                                        > > Ben Fritz wrote:

                                        > > > Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                                        > > > Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                                        > > > I've used do it this way.
                                        > >
                                        > > The problem was not with 64 bit but with Windows 2000.  Apparently it's
                                        > > caused by using MSVC 2010.  I'll try building with MSVC 2008.
                                        > >

                                        > Right, so maybe the installers would be differently separated, but the
                                        > gist of my suggestion is:
                                        >
                                        > Installer A will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2008
                                        > Installer B will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2010
                                        >
                                        > Or is it too difficult/expensive to have multiple versions of Visual
                                        > Studio in a side-by-side installation?

                                        Unless there are some features that only present in msvc 2010, I think
                                        it will be better to use the older one. IIRC it was very annoying
                                        that msvc 200? that required installation of its version specific
                                        msvcrt or need setting a manifest file.

                                        --
                                        regards,
                                        GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

                                      • Bram Moolenaar
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
                                          Ben Fritz wrote:

                                          > On Aug 3, 3:54 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                                          > > Ben Fritz wrote:

                                          > > > Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                                          > > > Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                                          > > > I've used do it this way.
                                          > >
                                          > > The problem was not with 64 bit but with Windows 2000. Apparently it's
                                          > > caused by using MSVC 2010. I'll try building with MSVC 2008.
                                          > >

                                          > Right, so maybe the installers would be differently separated, but the
                                          > gist of my suggestion is:
                                          >
                                          > Installer A will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2008
                                          > Installer B will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2010
                                          >
                                          > Or is it too difficult/expensive to have multiple versions of Visual
                                          > Studio in a side-by-side installation?

                                          I don't really want to build two versions of everything. It's already a
                                          big hassle to build all the MS-Windows executables, adding another
                                          variant will make it even more work.

                                          I'll try building a version with MSVC 2008. Then we can verify this
                                          also works on Windows 7 64 bit. I think it will.

                                          I don't think we can support Windows 98/ME as well. It would require
                                          using MSVC 2003 and I don't think those binaries will work on Windows 7.

                                          --
                                          Never enter the boss's office unless it's absolutely necessary. Every boss
                                          saves one corner of the desk for useless assignments that are doled out like

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
                                            On Aug 4, 6:24 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:

                                            > I don't really want to build two versions of everything.  It's already a
                                            > big hassle to build all the MS-Windows executables, adding another
                                            > variant will make it even more work.
                                            >
                                            > I'll try building a version with MSVC 2008.  Then we can verify this
                                            > also works on Windows 7 64 bit.  I think it will.

                                            Fair enough. I think this sounds like the best plan.

                                            > I don't think we can support Windows 98/ME as well.  It would require
                                            > using MSVC 2003 and I don't think those binaries will work on Windows 7.

                                            The source code will still work on old Windows though, correct? So
                                            worst case, someone on these systems will need to get ahold of a
                                            compatible Visual Studio or use MinGW or another compiler, and they
                                            can still have their Vim.

                                          • Bram Moolenaar
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
                                              Ben Fritz wrote:

                                              > On Aug 4, 6:24 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > I don't really want to build two versions of everything. It's already a
                                              > > big hassle to build all the MS-Windows executables, adding another
                                              > > variant will make it even more work.
                                              > >
                                              > > I'll try building a version with MSVC 2008. Then we can verify this
                                              > > also works on Windows 7 64 bit. I think it will.
                                              > >

                                              > Fair enough. I think this sounds like the best plan.
                                              >
                                              > > I don't think we can support Windows 98/ME as well. It would require
                                              > > using MSVC 2003 and I don't think those binaries will work on Windows 7.
                                              > >

                                              > The source code will still work on old Windows though, correct? So
                                              > worst case, someone on these systems will need to get ahold of a
                                              > compatible Visual Studio or use MinGW or another compiler, and they
                                              > can still have their Vim.

                                              Sure. And there is a version for old Windows systems anyway. You do
                                              need to use the "install.exe" instead of the self-installing executable.

                                              6. You refuse to go to a vacation spot with no electricity and no phone lines.