Vim 7.3c ready for beta testing

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hello Vim users,

      Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA

      This is a BETA release of Vim 7.3. It consists of Vim 7.2 plus all
      patches, updated runtime files and some more.

      7.3c both includes lots of fixes and a few new features. Everything
      needs to be tested to verify no new problems have been introduced.

      Please report every problem you find! The 7.3 release should not
      contain a problem because you didn't report it.

      The biggest additions since 7.2:
      - Persistent undo, undo for reload
      - Blowfish encryption, also encrypt the swap file
      - Conceal text (note: since 7.3a 'conc' was renamed to 'cole')
      - Lua interface
      - Python 3 interface

      I will no longer include new features in 7.3, it's only testing now.

      Once you have installed Vim 7.3c BETA you can find details about the
      changes since Vim 7.2 with:
      :help version-7.3

      Known problem: The MS-Windows self-installing executable for 7.3c does
      not delete the install key on 64 bit systems. You can remove it through
      the control panel.

      Testing
      -------

      Please especially test the persistent undo and encryption. These need
      to work reliably.

      Report anything that isn't right. That includes a crash but also a typo
      in the documentation and a missing file.

      Gratitude
      ---------

      If you like Vim, this is the way to say thanks:
      http://iccf-holland.org/clinic.html

      Where to get it
      ---------------

      The best way to obtain the latest Vim 7.3 is using Mercurial.
      cd vim
      hg update vim73
      More information here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php

      All downloadable files can be found below this directory:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/

      Direct link to the MS-Windows self-installing executable:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim73c.exe

      Information about which files to download for what system (don't use the
      links, they are still for Vim 7.2):
      http://www.vim.org/download.php

      A list of mirror sites can be found here:
      http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

      An overview of the files below "unstable":

      UNIX:
      unix/vim-7.3c.tar.bz2 sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed

      MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
      pc/gvim73c.exe self-installing, includes all runtime files

      VARIOUS:
      doc/vim73chtml.zip help files converted to HTML

      MS-WINDOWS separate files:
      pc/vim73crt.zip runtime files
      pc/gvim73c.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
      pc/gvim73cole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
      pc/gvim73c_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
      pc/vim73cd32.zip console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
      pc/vim73cw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
      pc/vim73csrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

      DIFFS TO PREVIOUS RELEASE:
      unix/vim-7.3b-7.3c.diff.gz sources + runtime files

      Omitted in this version are:
      - Extra and lang archives, these are now included in the main source
      and runtime archives.
      - The 16-bit DOS, OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.

      Mailing lists

      Subject specific lists:
      Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
      Macintosh issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

      Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
      already have given the answer.

      Reporting bugs
      --------------

      Send them to <vim-dev@...>. Please describe the problem precisely.
      All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
      spent on improving Vim! Always give a reproducible example and try to
      find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
      bug. Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE". Try
      different machines if possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send me a
      patch if you can!

      Happy Vimming!

      --
      If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you probably
      have no idea what it is. If your company _is_ involved in ISO 9000 then you

      You received this message from the "vim_announce" maillist.

    • Bram Moolenaar

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1, 2010
          I wrote:

          > Hello Vim users,
          >

          > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA

          [...]

          > Known problem: The MS-Windows self-installing executable for 7.3c does
          > not delete the install key on 64 bit systems. You can remove it through
          > the control panel.

          I managed to fix this quickly. The gvim73c.exe on the ftp site already
          has the fix.

          --
          For large projects, Team Leaders use sophisticated project management software
          to keep track of who's doing what. The software collects the lies and guesses

          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 1, 2010
            I wrote:

            > Hello Vim users,
            >

            > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA

            [...]

            > Known problem: The MS-Windows self-installing executable for 7.3c does
            > not delete the install key on 64 bit systems. You can remove it through
            > the control panel.

            I managed to fix this quickly. The gvim73c.exe on the ftp site already
            has the fix.

            --
            For large projects, Team Leaders use sophisticated project management software
            to keep track of who's doing what. The software collects the lies and guesses
            of the project team and organizes them in to instantly outdated charts that
            are too boring to look at closely. This is called "planning".
            (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)

          • Yue Wu
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 1, 2010
              On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 02:35:34 +0800, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
              wrote:

              > Hello Vim users,
              >

              > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA
              >
              > MS-WINDOWS separate files:
              > pc/vim73crt.zip runtime files
              > pc/gvim73c.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
              > pc/gvim73cole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
              > pc/gvim73c_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
              > pc/vim73cd32.zip console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
              > pc/vim73cw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
              > pc/vim73csrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

              Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
              pc/vim73crt.zip).

              Yue Wu

              Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
              Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
              China Pharmaceutical University
              No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China

            • George V. Reilly
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 1, 2010
                On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Yue Wu <vanopen@...> wrote:

                Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip).

                Please be more specific. What are you doing? What happens? What did you expect to happen?
                --
                /George V. Reilly  george@...  Twitter: @georgevreilly
                http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

              • Yue Wu
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 1, 2010
                  Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
                  can't be run on windows 2000.

                  On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:16:06 +0800, George V. Reilly <george@...>
                  wrote:

                  > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Yue Wu <vanopen@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
                  >> pc/vim73crt.zip).
                  >>

                  > Please be more specific. What are you doing? What happens? What did you
                  > expect to happen?

                  After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
                  gvim is not a valid Win32 application.

                  My OS is windows 2000 sp4.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                    Yue Wu wrote:

                    > Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
                    > can't be run on windows 2000.
                    >
                    > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:16:06 +0800, George V. Reilly <george@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Yue Wu <vanopen@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > >> Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
                    > >> pc/vim73crt.zip).
                    > >>

                    > > Please be more specific. What are you doing? What happens? What did you
                    > > expect to happen?
                    >
                    > After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
                    > gvim is not a valid Win32 application.
                    >
                    > My OS is windows 2000 sp4.

                    Is it only a warning, does it continue to run?

                    Perhaps this is just a matter of a flag somewhere.

                    --
                    A salesperson says: Translation:
                    "backward compatible" Old technology

                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                      Yue Wu wrote:

                      > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 02:35:34 +0800, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >

                      > > Hello Vim users,
                      > >

                      > > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA
                      > >
                      > > MS-WINDOWS separate files:
                      > > pc/vim73crt.zip runtime files
                      > > pc/gvim73c.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
                      > > pc/gvim73cole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
                      > > pc/gvim73c_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
                      > > pc/vim73cd32.zip console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
                      > > pc/vim73cw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
                      > > pc/vim73csrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)
                      > >

                      > Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
                      > pc/vim73crt.zip).

                      Since I didn't get a reply about whether older versions of the compiler,
                      e.g., the 2008 one, work properly on Windows 7, I stick with the 2010
                      compiler.

                      I also don't know what the problem is, thus it might be possible we fix
                      something to make this build with the 2010 compiler work on Windows
                      2000.

                      I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                      to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                      won't change.

                      --
                      The only way the average employee can speak to an executive is by taking a
                      second job as a golf caddie.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                        On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 09:52:34AM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                        > Yue Wu wrote:
                        >
                        > > Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
                        > > can't be run on windows 2000.
                        > >
                        > > After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
                        > > gvim is not a valid Win32 application.
                        > >
                        > > My OS is windows 2000 sp4.
                        >
                        > Is it only a warning, does it continue to run?

                        Warning + can't run.

                        > Perhaps this is just a matter of a flag somewhere.

                        Sorry, I don't know much about programming :(

                        On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 09:52:35AM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                        > Yue Wu wrote:
                        >
                        > > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 02:35:34 +0800, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > >

                        > > > Hello Vim users,
                        > > >

                        > > > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA
                        > > >
                        > > > MS-WINDOWS separate files:
                        > > > pc/vim73crt.zip runtime files
                        > > > pc/gvim73c.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
                        > > > pc/gvim73cole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
                        > > > pc/gvim73c_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
                        > > > pc/vim73cd32.zip console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
                        > > > pc/vim73cw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
                        > > > pc/vim73csrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)
                        > > >

                        > I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                        > to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                        > won't change.

                        But the description of the files say they're for Windows 2000, if they still
                        break and don't plan to have a change even till release, then win2k should be
                        removed from the supporting OS list, though I really don't hope it becomes
                        true.

                        Yue Wu

                        Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
                        Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
                        China Pharmaceutical University
                        No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China

                      • Dominique Pellé
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                          Yue Wu <vanopen@...> wrote:

                          > On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 09:52:34AM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Yue Wu wrote:
                          >>
                          >> > Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
                          >> > can't be run on windows 2000.
                          >> >
                          >> > After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
                          >> > gvim is not a valid Win32 application.
                          >> >
                          >> > My OS is windows 2000 sp4.
                          >>
                          >> Is it only a warning, does it continue to run?
                          >
                          > Warning + can't run.

                          Is there an error number along with it?
                          Can you provide the full error/warning so we can google search for it?

                          I found this which looks similar and may help:

                          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812486

                          -- Dominique

                        • Yue Wu
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                            On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:13:39 +0800, Dominique Pellé
                            <dominique.pelle@...> wrote:

                            > Yue Wu <vanopen@...> wrote:

                            >>> that vim73

                            >>> warns:

                            >>> Is it only a warning, does it continue to run?
                            >>
                            >> Warning + can't run.
                            >
                            > Is there an error number along with it?
                            > Can you provide the full error/warning so we can google search for it?
                            >
                            > I found this which looks similar and may help:
                            >
                            > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812486

                            No any error number, a dialog says vim is not a valid Win32 application,
                            after close the dialog, nothing happens. Attach is the shot.

                            Yue Wu

                            Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
                            Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
                            China Pharmaceutical University
                            No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China

                          • Yukihiro Nakadaira
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                              [Visual C++ 2010: Supported Platforms (Visual C++)]
                              [Visual C++ 2008: Supported Platforms (Visual C++)]
                              http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235435%28VS.90%29.aspx

                              Supported platforms are listed on above pages.
                              Visual C++ 2010 doesn't support Windows 2000.

                            • George V. Reilly
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010

                                Yue Wu wrote:

                                > Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
                                > can't be run on windows 2000.
                                >
                                > After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
                                > gvim is not a valid Win32 application.
                                >
                                > My OS is windows 2000 sp4.

                                Is it only a warning, does it continue to run?

                                Warning + can't run.

                                Is there an error number along with it?
                                Can you provide the full error/warning so we can google search for it?

                                I found this which looks similar and may help:

                                 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812486

                                No any error number, a dialog says vim is not a valid Win32 application, after close the dialog, nothing happens. Attach is the shot.

                                It's probably due to a linker flag that was used to construct the executable's header. It may be possible to override the VS2010 linker flags in a way that will make Windows 2000 happy, but that will require some research.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                                  On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

                                  Yue Wu wrote:

                                  > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 02:35:34 +0800, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >

                                  > > Hello Vim users,
                                  > >

                                  > > Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA
                                  > >
                                  > > MS-WINDOWS separate files:
                                  > > pc/vim73crt.zip                 runtime files
                                  > > pc/gvim73c.zip                  GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
                                  > > pc/gvim73cole.zip               GUI binary with OLE support
                                  > > pc/gvim73c_s.zip                GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
                                  > > pc/vim73cd32.zip                console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
                                  > > pc/vim73cw32.zip                console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
                                  > > pc/vim73csrc.zip                sources for PC (with CR-LF)
                                  > >

                                  > Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
                                  > pc/vim73crt.zip).

                                  Since I didn't get a reply about whether older versions of the compiler,
                                  e.g., the 2008 one, work properly on Windows 7, I stick with the 2010
                                  compiler.

                                  I also don't know what the problem is, thus it might be possible we fix
                                  something to make this build with the 2010 compiler work on Windows
                                  2000.

                                  I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                                  to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                                  won't change.

                                  We're using the VS2005 compiler at work, and it and the binaries it builds runs fine on my x64 Win7 dev box. Ditto VS2008.

                                  MS announced last week that 175 million Windows 7 licenses had been sold, of which nearly half were for Win64. I don't know how many Windows 2000 boxes are still in active use, but it's got to be far less than 175M.
                                  --
                                  /George V. Reilly  george@...  Twitter: @georgevreilly
                                  http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

                                • Vlad Irnov
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
                                    On Aug 2, 12:06 am, "Yue Wu" <vano...@...> wrote:
                                    > Sorry, I forgot that it's a new topic in the list, I've reported that vim73
                                    > can't be run on windows 2000.
                                    >
                                    > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:16:06 +0800, George V. Reilly <geo...@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Yue Wu <vano...@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > >> Still can't be run under windows 2000 here (pc/gvim73c.zip +
                                    > >> pc/vim73crt.zip).
                                    >
                                    > > Please be more specific. What are you doing? What happens? What did you
                                    > > expect to happen?
                                    >
                                    > After extractpc/gvim73c.zip + pc/vim73crt.zip then run gvim.exe, it warns:
                                    > gvim is not a valid Win32 application.
                                    >
                                    > My OS is windows 2000 sp4.

                                    I have exactly the same problem. Also Windows 2000, SP4, 32-bit.
                                    Got source and runtime from unstable/unix/vim-7.3c.tar.bz2
                                    Binaries from unstable/pc/gvim73c.zip , unstable/pc/vim73cw32.zip
                                    Error message "<path>gvim.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
                                    Same with vim.exe and xxd.exe.

                                    I then compiled gvim.exe and vim.exe with MinGW and they run just
                                    fine.
                                    BIG+Python 2.6. Instructions are here (some refinement needed):
                                    http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Python-enabled_Vim_on_Windows_with_MinGW
                                    These instructions are intended for people like me: a Vim user but not
                                    a programmer by profession, don't know C/C++ and never compiled
                                    anything before.

                                  • Ben Fritz
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                                      On Aug 2, 2:52 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:

                                      > I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                                      > to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                                      > won't change.

                                      Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                                      Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                                      I've used do it this way.

                                    • Bram Moolenaar
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                                        Ben Fritz wrote:

                                        > On Aug 2, 2:52 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                                        > > to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                                        > > won't change.
                                        > >

                                        > Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                                        > Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                                        > I've used do it this way.

                                        The problem was not with 64 bit but with Windows 2000. Apparently it's
                                        caused by using MSVC 2010. I'll try building with MSVC 2008.

                                        I just read that Windows 2000 still has 1% market share. It's going
                                        down rapidly though.

                                        --
                                        It's totally unfair to suggest - as many have - that engineers are socially
                                        inept. Engineers simply have different objectives when it comes to social

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                                          On Aug 3, 3:54 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                                          > Ben Fritz wrote:
                                          > > On Aug 2, 2:52 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > > I find it more important to support Windows 7, so unless we find a way
                                          > > > to support Windows 2000 without breaking Windows 7 compatibility it
                                          > > > won't change.
                                          >
                                          > > Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                                          > > Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                                          > > I've used do it this way.
                                          >
                                          > The problem was not with 64 bit but with Windows 2000.  Apparently it's
                                          > caused by using MSVC 2010.  I'll try building with MSVC 2008.

                                          Right, so maybe the installers would be differently separated, but the
                                          gist of my suggestion is:

                                          Installer A will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2008
                                          Installer B will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2010

                                          Or is it too difficult/expensive to have multiple versions of Visual
                                          Studio in a side-by-side installation?

                                        • bill lam
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                                            Втр, 03 Авг 2010, Ben Fritz писал(а):

                                            > On Aug 3, 3:54 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                                            > > Ben Fritz wrote:

                                            > > > Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                                            > > > Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                                            > > > I've used do it this way.
                                            > >
                                            > > The problem was not with 64 bit but with Windows 2000.  Apparently it's
                                            > > caused by using MSVC 2010.  I'll try building with MSVC 2008.
                                            > >

                                            > Right, so maybe the installers would be differently separated, but the
                                            > gist of my suggestion is:
                                            >
                                            > Installer A will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2008
                                            > Installer B will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2010
                                            >
                                            > Or is it too difficult/expensive to have multiple versions of Visual
                                            > Studio in a side-by-side installation?

                                            Unless there are some features that only present in msvc 2010, I think
                                            it will be better to use the older one. IIRC it was very annoying
                                            that msvc 200? that required installation of its version specific
                                            msvcrt or need setting a manifest file.

                                            --
                                            regards,
                                            GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

                                          • Bram Moolenaar
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
                                              Ben Fritz wrote:

                                              > On Aug 3, 3:54 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                                              > > Ben Fritz wrote:

                                              > > > Is there a problem with providing two installers/binaries, one for
                                              > > > Win7 64 bit, and 1 for other Windows versions? Many other applications
                                              > > > I've used do it this way.
                                              > >
                                              > > The problem was not with 64 bit but with Windows 2000. Apparently it's
                                              > > caused by using MSVC 2010. I'll try building with MSVC 2008.
                                              > >

                                              > Right, so maybe the installers would be differently separated, but the
                                              > gist of my suggestion is:
                                              >
                                              > Installer A will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2008
                                              > Installer B will contain a Vim compiled with MSVC 2010
                                              >
                                              > Or is it too difficult/expensive to have multiple versions of Visual
                                              > Studio in a side-by-side installation?

                                              I don't really want to build two versions of everything. It's already a
                                              big hassle to build all the MS-Windows executables, adding another
                                              variant will make it even more work.

                                              I'll try building a version with MSVC 2008. Then we can verify this
                                              also works on Windows 7 64 bit. I think it will.

                                              I don't think we can support Windows 98/ME as well. It would require
                                              using MSVC 2003 and I don't think those binaries will work on Windows 7.

                                              --
                                              Never enter the boss's office unless it's absolutely necessary. Every boss
                                              saves one corner of the desk for useless assignments that are doled out like

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
                                                On Aug 4, 6:24 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:

                                                > I don't really want to build two versions of everything.  It's already a
                                                > big hassle to build all the MS-Windows executables, adding another
                                                > variant will make it even more work.
                                                >
                                                > I'll try building a version with MSVC 2008.  Then we can verify this
                                                > also works on Windows 7 64 bit.  I think it will.

                                                Fair enough. I think this sounds like the best plan.

                                                > I don't think we can support Windows 98/ME as well.  It would require
                                                > using MSVC 2003 and I don't think those binaries will work on Windows 7.

                                                The source code will still work on old Windows though, correct? So
                                                worst case, someone on these systems will need to get ahold of a
                                                compatible Visual Studio or use MinGW or another compiler, and they
                                                can still have their Vim.

                                              • Bram Moolenaar
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
                                                  Ben Fritz wrote:

                                                  > On Aug 4, 6:24 am, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I don't really want to build two versions of everything. It's already a
                                                  > > big hassle to build all the MS-Windows executables, adding another
                                                  > > variant will make it even more work.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I'll try building a version with MSVC 2008. Then we can verify this
                                                  > > also works on Windows 7 64 bit. I think it will.
                                                  > >

                                                  > Fair enough. I think this sounds like the best plan.
                                                  >
                                                  > > I don't think we can support Windows 98/ME as well. It would require
                                                  > > using MSVC 2003 and I don't think those binaries will work on Windows 7.
                                                  > >

                                                  > The source code will still work on old Windows though, correct? So
                                                  > worst case, someone on these systems will need to get ahold of a
                                                  > compatible Visual Studio or use MinGW or another compiler, and they
                                                  > can still have their Vim.

                                                  Sure. And there is a version for old Windows systems anyway. You do
                                                  need to use the "install.exe" instead of the self-installing executable.

                                                  6. You refuse to go to a vacation spot with no electricity and no phone lines.