format a paragraph with gq

  • linjus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 11:34 AM
      I often use "gq" command to format a paragraph. (As I mostly use that
      command in "Visual mode", technically, I format a selected text, but I
      always highlight only one paragraph.)

      It seems VIM sometimes puts two spaces between two words when it has
      to merge lines in a paragraph. For example, when tw=93 and the
      following text is highlighted, "gq" puts two spaces right after the
      period.

      sdfs lsdkf lsdkf lsdkf lskdf lsdkf ldskf lsdkf
      sdf.
      flsdf

      I'm not sure if this is because VIM recognizes periods and tries to do
      some smart things, but I really do not want this. I think it's not
      very consistent either; if the highlighted text were the following,
      there would be only one period after the period.

      sdfs lsdkf lsdkf lsdkf lskdf lsdkf ldskf. lsdkf flsdf
      sdf sdf sdf sdf sdf sdf sdf

      I don't know if my guess is correct, but the above example reproduces
      the problem. How can I enforce VIM to put only one space even though a
      line ends with a period?

      Just in case you may wonder my configuration, I'm using GVIM under
      Windows 7 and my "formatoptions" is "tcq".

      Thank you!

    • AK
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 12:00 PM
        On 07/01/2010 02:34 PM, linjus wrote:
        > I often use "gq" command to format a paragraph. (As I mostly use that
        > command in "Visual mode", technically, I format a selected text, but I
        > always highlight only one paragraph.)
        >
        > It seems VIM sometimes puts two spaces between two words when it has
        > to merge lines in a paragraph. For example, when tw=93 and the
        > following text is highlighted, "gq" puts two spaces right after the
        > period.
        >
        > sdfs lsdkf lsdkf lsdkf lskdf lsdkf ldskf lsdkf
        > sdf.
        > flsdf
        >
        > I'm not sure if this is because VIM recognizes periods and tries to do
        > some smart things, but I really do not want this. I think it's not
        > very consistent either; if the highlighted text were the following,
        > there would be only one period after the period.
        >
        > sdfs lsdkf lsdkf lsdkf lskdf lsdkf ldskf. lsdkf flsdf
        > sdf sdf sdf sdf sdf sdf sdf
        >
        > I don't know if my guess is correct, but the above example reproduces
        > the problem. How can I enforce VIM to put only one space even though a
        > line ends with a period?
        >
        > Just in case you may wonder my configuration, I'm using GVIM under
        > Windows 7 and my "formatoptions" is "tcq".
        >
        > Thank you!

        :set nojoinspaces

        :help 'joinspaces

           -ak

        --
         Python plugins for vim: outliner, todo list, project manager, calendar,
         expenses tracker, sortable table, and more |

      • linjus
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1 1:19 PM
          It works! Thank you!