Re: Feature Request...

  • 永远的冰点
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2010
      Do not top-post!

    • AK
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2010
        On 06/24/2010 08:59 AM, Jens-Wolfhard Schicke wrote:
        > I was just missing a command. And then I though about it for some time, and I think I would actually use it a lot:
        > Single character insert. Just like "r" will let you replace one character, I often need to insert a single character.
        > Currently I press "i<Whatever><ESC>", taking three strokes (one of them ESC or Ctrl-[, both of which involve some hand moving).
        >
        > With the single character insert, the most awkward of the three strokes would go away.
        >
        > Or am I just missing the right command?
        >
        > Regards,
        >   Jens

        By the way, what keyboard are you using? I thought about this a bit and
        I realized that I almost never need to do this; I use IBM model M
        clicky keyboard which makes it very easy to almost never miss keys.

           -ak

        --
         Python plugins for vim: outliner, todo list, project manager, calendar,
         expenses tracker, sortable table, and more |

      • Fuzzy Logic
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2010
          Even more importantly, don't send a message with absolutely no context
          for what you are replying to.

          2010/7/1 永远的冰点 <design163@...>:
          > Do not top-post!

        • bill lam
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2010
            Чтв, 01 Июл 2010, Fuzzy Logic писал(а):
            > Even more importantly, don't send a message with absolutely no context
            > for what you are replying to.
            >
            > 2010/7/1 永远的冰点 <design163@...>:
            > Do not top-post!
            1-10
            Apparently he can foretell the respondent will top post.

            --
            regards,
            GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

          • Fuzzy Logic
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2010
              On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:34 AM, bill lam <cbill.lam@...> wrote:
              > Чтв, 01 Июл 2010, Fuzzy Logic писал(а):
              >> Even more importantly, don't send a message with absolutely no context
              >> for what you are replying to.
              >>
              >> 2010/7/1 永远的冰点 <design163@...>:
              >> Do not top-post!
              >                                                                                                            1-10
              > Apparently he can foretell the respondent will top post.

              Or the respondent was purposely responding in that way to add a bit of
              humor to the message.

              I've had this discussion before. Bottom post and top post are equally
              good, as long as the message is trimmed properly. I know some of the
              people on this list view it as a holy war, but it doesn't really
              matter as long as the message gets through and is understandable.

              Fuzzy

            • Daniel D Jones
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2010
                On Friday, July 02, 2010 11:59:08 Fuzzy Logic wrote:
                > On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:34 AM, bill lam <cbill.lam@...> wrote:

                > I've had this discussion before. Bottom post and top post are equally
                > good, as long as the message is trimmed properly. I know some of the
                > people on this list view it as a holy war, but it doesn't really
                > matter as long as the message gets through and is understandable.

                I agree that both have advantages. I disagree that they're interchangeable.
                Top posting is useful (and thus the norm) in a business environment where it's
                often important to maintain the entire record of communications and where
                conversations tend to be a sequential chain of comments. Bottom posting is
                much more appropriate for an environment like this where the conversation
                tends to be interleaved, with responses directed to individual parts of the
                email.

                --
                "The hypocrite's crime is that he bears false witness against himself. What
                makes it so plausible to assume that hypocrisy is the vice of vices is that