Re: Installing Gvim with AAP (FreeBSD 8.0)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2010
      On 03/05/10 16:43, John Degen wrote:
      > I managed to install Vim on FreeBSD 8.0 using AAP as per the
      > instructions on a-a-p.org. It worked well, except I now have a version
      > without Perl or Python integration. I donĀ“t need this urgently but I
      > wonder how I could have installed the Big version with everything. Is
      > this done in the configure file? And if so, how?

      I'm surprised that this post hasn't yet got any reply.

      Once you have the source, you may select compile-time options. See
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm for details.
      Don't forget to "make reconfig" (or "make config" followed by "make")
      after you change (or set for the first time) the environment variables
      for your configure parameters.

      Of course, in order to compile with Perl and Python, you will need not
      only the Perl and Python interpreters installed, but also the files
      needed to integrate them into C. I don't know how FreeBSD does it, but
      on Linux that would mean making sure that the Perl and Python -devel
      (RedHat, SuSE, etc.) or -dev (debian, Ubuntu, etc.) packages are installed.

      What makes the universe so hard to comprehend is that there's nothing
      to compare it with.