Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

screen not updated after backspace

Expand Messages
  • Sven Eppler
    Hi There, since about a week on my server vim behaves strange. The backspace-key is working correctly beside the fact, that the deleted characters are not
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi There,

      since about a week on my server vim behaves strange. The backspace-key
      is working correctly beside the fact, that the deleted characters are
      not removed from the screen. Only when leaving insert-mode or switch
      lines the screen will get updated and the deleted characters will
      vanish from the screen.

      e.g.: when backspacing 5 characters and typing 4 new, the newly typed
      chars will be shown correctly, but the first backspaced char will stay
      again until i leave the insert-mode or navigate into another line.

      This is something which just happend one day to the other. Moving my
      ~/.vimrc file and my ~/.vim/ folder doesn't help, so i assume it's not
      a missconfiguration of mine.

      Version information:
      Debian Etch, 64bit
      Vim 7.0.305

      Anybody a idea, where these odd behavior may come from?

      Thanks in advance,
      Sven

      --
      You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
    • John Little
      ... That s ancient vi behaviour; you ve somehow got vim running in vi compatible mode. See :help compatible. Try ... to see where it s being set. If your vim
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        On Jul 1, 7:34 am, Sven Eppler <s...@...> wrote:
        > the deleted characters are
        > not removed from the screen. Only when leaving insert-mode or switch
        > lines the screen will get updated and the deleted characters will
        > vanish from the screen.

        That's ancient vi behaviour; you've somehow got vim running in vi
        compatible mode. See :help compatible. Try

        :verbose set cp?

        to see where it's being set.

        If your vim came from the repositories I'd expect it to have run /usr/
        share/vim/vim70/debian.vim, which usually has set nocompatible; in its
        absence moving your .vimrc is one way to get compatible mode; if vim
        finds a .vimrc it sets nocompatible.

        BTW, 7.0 is a bit old, there have been hundreds of fixes since then.
        Building your own vim is easy on Debian. Hmm, the ftp server for vim
        doesn't have 300 patches for 7.0, maybe you've actually got 7.1 or
        7.2.

        Regards, John

        --
        You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      • Jürgen Krämer
        Hi, ... in addition to the compatible option you might want to look at the cpoptions option. If it includes a lower-case v Vim behaves the way you
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi,

          Sven Eppler wrote:
          >
          > since about a week on my server vim behaves strange. The backspace-key
          > is working correctly beside the fact, that the deleted characters are
          > not removed from the screen. Only when leaving insert-mode or switch
          > lines the screen will get updated and the deleted characters will
          > vanish from the screen.
          >
          > e.g.: when backspacing 5 characters and typing 4 new, the newly typed
          > chars will be shown correctly, but the first backspaced char will stay
          > again until i leave the insert-mode or navigate into another line.

          in addition to the 'compatible' option you might want to look at the
          'cpoptions' option. If it includes a lower-case 'v' Vim behaves the
          way you noticed (:help cpo-v).

          Regards,
          Jürgen

          --
          Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere
          in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. (Calvin)

          --
          You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        • Andrei Popescu
          ... Etch doesn t have security support anymore, you should upgrade to Lenny. ... If you stay on Etch and want to try a newer version there is a backport of
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            On Mi, 30 iun 10, 12:34:21, Sven Eppler wrote:

            > Debian Etch, 64bit

            Etch doesn't have security support anymore, you should upgrade to Lenny.

            > Vim 7.0.305

            If you stay on Etch and want to try a newer version there is a backport
            of 7.1.314 (the same version as in Lenny) at www.backports.org.

            Regards,
            Andrei
            --
            If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
            (Albert Einstein)
          • Sven Eppler
            Hi, ... cpoptions=aAbBcCdDeEfFgHiIjJkKlLmMnoOpPqrRsStuvwWxXyZ$!%*-+ I only get the hind, that /usr/share/vim/vim70/plugin/zipPlugin.vim last changed this
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              Hi,

              this looks like the Problem:

              :verbose set cpo?
              cpoptions=aAbBcCdDeEfFgHiIjJkKlLmMnoOpPqrRsStuvwWxXyZ$!%*-+<>

              I only get the hind, that '/usr/share/vim/vim70/plugin/zipPlugin.vim'
              last changed this setting. But is there a way to debug more precisly
              when all this stuff is comming into the variable? Temporaly i
              overwrite cpo with the Vim-Default in my .vimrc which works just fine
              now.

              Thanks,
              Sven

              On 1 Jul., 07:35, Jürgen Krämer <jottka...@...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > Sven Eppler wrote:
              >
              > > since about a week on my server vim behaves strange. The backspace-key
              > > is working correctly beside the fact, that the deleted characters are
              > > not removed from the screen. Only when leaving insert-mode or switch
              > > lines the screen will get updated and the deleted characters will
              > > vanish from the screen.
              >
              > > e.g.: when backspacing 5 characters and typing 4 new, the newly typed
              > > chars will be shown correctly, but the first backspaced char will stay
              > > again until i leave the insert-mode or navigate into another line.
              >
              > in addition to the 'compatible' option you might want to look at the
              > 'cpoptions' option. If it includes a lower-case 'v' Vim behaves the
              > way you noticed (:help cpo-v).
              >
              > Regards,
              > J rgen
              >
              > --
              > Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere
              > in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.     (Calvin)

              --
              You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
              Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
            • Sven Eppler
              I know, but it s an virtual server on which currently lenny isn t supported by the hoster. But i will have a look at the backports or try to build my own vim.
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                I know, but it's an virtual server on which currently lenny isn't
                supported by the hoster.

                But i will have a look at the backports or try to build my own vim. :)

                Bye,
                Sven

                On 1 Jul., 09:46, Andrei Popescu <andreimpope...@...> wrote:
                > On Mi, 30 iun 10, 12:34:21, Sven Eppler wrote:
                >
                > > Debian Etch, 64bit
                >
                > Etch doesn't have security support anymore, you should upgrade to Lenny.
                >
                > > Vim 7.0.305
                >
                > If you stay on Etch and want to try a newer version there is a backport
                > of 7.1.314 (the same version as in Lenny) atwww.backports.org.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Andrei
                > --
                > If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
                > (Albert Einstein)
                >
                >  signature.asc
                > < 1 KBAnzeigenHerunterladen

                --
                You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
                Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
              • Tony Mechelynck
                ... It looks like you have (or had) compatible set. Are you sure your vimrc is named .vimrc, not .exrc and not $VIM/vimrc without dot? Or that you aren t
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  On 01/07/10 11:53, Sven Eppler wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > this looks like the Problem:
                  >
                  > :verbose set cpo?
                  > cpoptions=aAbBcCdDeEfFgHiIjJkKlLmMnoOpPqrRsStuvwWxXyZ$!%*-+<>
                  >
                  > I only get the hind, that '/usr/share/vim/vim70/plugin/zipPlugin.vim'
                  > last changed this setting. But is there a way to debug more precisly
                  > when all this stuff is comming into the variable? Temporaly i
                  > overwrite cpo with the Vim-Default in my .vimrc which works just fine
                  > now.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Sven
                  >

                  It looks like you have (or had) 'compatible' set. Are you sure your
                  vimrc is named .vimrc, not .exrc and not $VIM/vimrc without dot? Or that
                  you aren't loading your vimrc by means of a -u command-line argument? Or
                  that you haven't got -C on the Vim command-line? Each of these would
                  defeat Vim's custom of setting 'nocompatible' when a vimrc is found.

                  The above setting is, I think, the 'compatible' default for the
                  'cpoptions' options. Its 'nocompatible' setting is much shorter: aABceFs

                  See
                  :help compatible-default
                  :help 'compatible'
                  :help 'cpoptions'
                  :help -C
                  :help -N
                  :help -u
                  :help .vimrc


                  Best regards,
                  Tony.
                  --
                  TIM: That is not an ordinary rabbit ... 'tis the most foul cruel and
                  bad-tempered thing you ever set eyes on.
                  ROBIN: You tit. I soiled my armour I was so scared!
                  "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY)
                  PICTURES LTD

                  --
                  You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
                  Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                  For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.