How to copy and paste in vim by ssh to another machine

  • robert song
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
      Hi, everyone.

      If I ssh to another machine, and run the vimx on that machine, I can't
      find a way to copy and paste the words by keyboard between the remote
      vimx and local vimx.
      For example, on the remote vimx, I can't add the selected words to
      clipboard by "+y.

      Is there anyway to do the work?

      Best Regards,
      robert

    • AK
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
        On 06/27/2010 09:50 PM, robert song wrote:
        > Hi, everyone.
        >
        > If I ssh to another machine, and run the vimx on that machine, I can't
        > find a way to copy and paste the words by keyboard between the remote
        > vimx and local vimx.
        > For example, on the remote vimx, I can't add the selected words to
        > clipboard by "+y.
        >
        > Is there anyway to do the work?
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > robert

        Screen can do that. You have to run local vim in one screen window
        and ssh in another. I haven't done this myself though, but screen
        docs should tell you how to do this. -ak

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
          On 2010-06-28, robert song wrote:
          > Hi, everyone.
          >
          > If I ssh to another machine, and run the vimx on that machine, I can't
          > find a way to copy and paste the words by keyboard between the remote
          > vimx and local vimx.
          > For example, on the remote vimx, I can't add the selected words to
          > clipboard by "+y.
          >
          > Is there anyway to do the work?

          I think you can do this by running an X server on the local machine,
          then enabling X forwarding when you establish the ssh connection
          with either the -X or -Y options. I haven't actually done this,
          though.

          Regards,
          Gary

        • John Little
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
            > I think you can do this by running an X server on the local machine,
            > then enabling X forwarding when you establish the ssh connection
            > with either the -X or -Y options.  I haven't actually done this,
            > though.

            I've done this, works well on a LAN. IME too slow if the remote
            machine is out on the internet somewhere, YMMV.

            Regards, John

          • robert song
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
              > I think you can do this by running an X server on the local machine,
              > then enabling X forwarding when you establish the ssh connection
              > with either the -X or -Y options. I haven't actually done this,
              > though.

              Thank you very much, it's what I need.

              Best Regards,
              robert