Re: Arbitrary tab stops

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2010
      On 07/06/10 13:57, Andre Majorel wrote:
      > Five years ago, I mentioned it would be very useful if Vim had
      > arbitrary tab stops. Preferably a list of widths, not a list of
      > column numbers.
      >
      > Guess what : I haven't changed my mind. :-)

      There is an "unofficial" patch for that (I haven't used it) listed at
      http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches (it's number 10
      in the list). Of course you'll have to compile your own Vim in order to
      use it, see
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm (Win32)
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm (Unix)
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial (both)

      The patch was made against some version of Vim 7.x, I suppose it should
      apply to the current 7.2 patchlevel with nothing more than a line offset
      warning (if it doesn't, contact the author). As for the upcoming Vim
      7.3, several of the patches on that page have already made their way
      into the official alpha code (found as branch "vim73" in the same
      Mercurial repository as the Vim 7.2 source), it's of course anyone's
      guess whether Bram will decide also to include variable tab stops. In
      the meantime you may try to apply the patch to the alpha source if you want.

      "Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have
      nothing whatever to do with it."
      -- W. Somerset Maugham