Re: What does (fakeclip-y) mean?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010
      On 02/06/10 01:29, Gary Furash wrote:
      > I installed the fakeclip plugin. Normally, plugins are fairly
      > straightforward (e.g., hit the "special" key (\) or something like
      > that). However, the fake clip plugin says that it automatically loads
      > default mappings like
      >
      > "+y for<Plug>(fakeclip-y)
      >
      > I've tried "+y in a variety of different ways: at the ":" prompt,
      > while in command mode, etc. and it doesn't do anything.
      >
      > I'm sure I'm just missing something.
      >
      > I searched for a definition of<Plug> on the mailing list, but may not
      > have been looking for the right thing.
      >
      > Thank you in advance for any assistance.

      Well, with plain-vanilla Vim (without 3rd-party plugins I mean), "+y in
      Visual mode yanks the selection to the clipboard, and in Normal mode it
      waits for a motion (e.g. l for "one character") or an object (e.g. iw
      for "inner word"); the text moved over, or the object, is then yanked to
      the clipboard. In both cases you can paste it into any clipboard-aware
      application, usually by means of Edit=>Paste. Anything that uses that as
      the {lhs} of a mapping ought to do something similar.

      I don't know what the parentheses are doing in that mapping; I would
      expect a plugin-defined mapping to have a {rhs} of <Plug>fakeclip-y or
      <Plug>FakeclipY but not something with parentheses in it.

      <Plug> is explained in the Vim help: see
      :help <Plug>
      :help using-<Plug>

      To see what "+y is mapped to, use (both of)
      :verbose map "+y
      :verbose map! "+y

      ARTHUR: What?
      BLACK KNIGHT: None shall pass.
      ARTHUR: I have no quarrel with you, good Sir knight, but I must cross
      this bridge.
      BLACK KNIGHT: Then you shall die.
      The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty
      Python)