What does (fakeclip-y) mean?

  • Gary Furash
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010
      I installed the fakeclip plugin. Normally, plugins are fairly
      straightforward (e.g., hit the "special" key (\) or something like
      that). However, the fake clip plugin says that it automatically loads
      default mappings like

      "+y for <Plug>(fakeclip-y)

      I've tried "+y in a variety of different ways: at the ":" prompt,
      while in command mode, etc. and it doesn't do anything.

      I'm sure I'm just missing something.

      I searched for a definition of <Plug> on the mailing list, but may not
      have been looking for the right thing.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010
        On 02/06/10 01:29, Gary Furash wrote:
        > I installed the fakeclip plugin. Normally, plugins are fairly
        > straightforward (e.g., hit the "special" key (\) or something like
        > that). However, the fake clip plugin says that it automatically loads
        > default mappings like
        >
        > "+y for<Plug>(fakeclip-y)
        >
        > I've tried "+y in a variety of different ways: at the ":" prompt,
        > while in command mode, etc. and it doesn't do anything.
        >
        > I'm sure I'm just missing something.
        >
        > I searched for a definition of<Plug> on the mailing list, but may not
        > have been looking for the right thing.
        >
        > Thank you in advance for any assistance.

        Well, with plain-vanilla Vim (without 3rd-party plugins I mean), "+y in
        Visual mode yanks the selection to the clipboard, and in Normal mode it
        waits for a motion (e.g. l for "one character") or an object (e.g. iw
        for "inner word"); the text moved over, or the object, is then yanked to
        the clipboard. In both cases you can paste it into any clipboard-aware
        application, usually by means of Edit=>Paste. Anything that uses that as
        the {lhs} of a mapping ought to do something similar.

        I don't know what the parentheses are doing in that mapping; I would
        expect a plugin-defined mapping to have a {rhs} of <Plug>fakeclip-y or
        <Plug>FakeclipY but not something with parentheses in it.

        <Plug> is explained in the Vim help: see
        :help <Plug>
        :help using-<Plug>

        To see what "+y is mapped to, use (both of)
        :verbose map "+y
        :verbose map! "+y

        ARTHUR: What?
        BLACK KNIGHT: None shall pass.
        ARTHUR: I have no quarrel with you, good Sir knight, but I must cross
        this bridge.
        BLACK KNIGHT: Then you shall die.
        The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty
        Python)