Re: Progress indicator for :TOhtml command

  • Christian J. Robinson
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2010
      On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Yongwei Wu wrote:

      > I tried it on Windows, and the display was too flashy and intrusive.
      > I can't say I like it.

      I tried it too--on Windows and on Linux--and it was flashy and
      unusable on both, plus about 15 to 20 percent slower than the original
      on both.

      I would be for having a progress meter, if it could be implemented in
      a better way without slowing the script down.

      My best suggestion is just to output one line every 5 to 10 percent
      through processing with the current progress, e.g.:

      0%
      5%
      10%
      15%
      [...]
      95%
      Done

      - Christian

      --
      Abdominos... sit-ups & pizza.
      Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...> http://christianrobinson.name/

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010

        wrote:
        > I would be for having a progress meter, if it could be implemented in
        > a better way without slowing the script down.
        >
        > My best suggestion is just to output one line every 5 to 10 percent
        > through processing with the current progress, e.g.:
        >
        >   0%
        >   5%
        >   10%
        >   15%
        >   [...]
        >   95%
        >   Done

        Hmm, strange. I did not notice a slow-down from the original script,
        but then I also set 'nomore' and fdm=manual as a way to speed things
        up a little in addition to the progress bar changes. On my dinosaur of
        a computer, processing 2html.vim took about 40 seconds LESS with the
        patched version that with the unpatched version, according to the
        before/after times returned by localtime(). What did you do to see the
        slowdown?

        I also dislike the flashiness, but couldn't find a way around it. The
        echo'd text gets cleared every pass through the main processing loop.
        For this reason, a periodic (5, 10, 20%, etc.) message wasn't going to
        work. I would certainly prefer this method...my first attempt used
        echon to display one "tick" every few lines processed (a tick being
        calculated to almost fill the current &columns setting). Does someone
        have an idea of how I might accomplish this?

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
          On Jun 1, 7:21 am, Andy Wokula <anw...@...> wrote:

          > I'd suggest to try one of the existing progress bars (sorry,  didn't try
          > them myself yet):
          >
          > http://github.com/tomtom/vimtlib/blob/master/autoload/tlib/progressba...http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2006

          Hmm, interesting...and thanks! These two plugins seem to use the
          statusline for the progress indicator. I thought of that, and
          abandoned the idea when I noticed that the status lines weren't being
          populated all the way during processing...but later investigation
          showed me that's because 'ruler' gets reset from one of the speed-up
          options set by the plugin (I don't remember which). At the time, I was
          still hoping to use :echon to output the progress indicator, which I
          also had to abandon. My eventual goal is to use the full screen width
          (or pretty close to it) for the progress bar. Is there a good way to
          get this for an individual status line? I didn't think so, whereas
          using an ":echo" type command, &columns basically does the trick.

          I'll give it a shot using the status line (maybe making use of a
          plugin, but I'm hoping for eventual inclusion into the upstream, so
          maybe just pulling code from them). Hopefully it will be more usable.
          For me, the screen flashes quite a bit *without* the progress
          indicator, so I'm not certain it will be, but perhaps the somewhat
          static status line will be more readable than a quickly flashing
          message at the bottom of the window.

        • Christian J. Robinson
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
            On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Ben Fritz wrote:

            > What did you do to see the slowdown?

            In two separate Vim instances ("vim 2html.vim"--not at the same time):

            :let timestart=join(reltime(), ' ') | exe 'so ' . expand('%') | let timefinish=join(reltime(), ' ')
            :echo timestart | echo timefinish

            Time elapsed about 39 seconds.

            :let timestart=join(reltime(), ' ') | exe 'TOhtml' | let timefinish=join(reltime(), ' ')
            :echo timestart | echo timefinish

            Time elapsed about 31 seconds.

            So the first is over 20% slower.

            This morning I tried it under a "vim -u NONE --noplugin 2html.vim"
            instance and your version was actually four seconds faster than the
            original. Odd.

            I do have a fairly complex vimrc, as well as a number of plugins
            installed.

            - Christian

            --
            Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...>

          • Benjamin Fritz
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010

              > Here is an experimental version, in which I included the essential part
              > from the mentioned vim.org/script into the script from Ben.
              >
              > Bugs: - currently only works well with a big enough window.
              > - progressbar requires redrawing the window, while processing
              > the 2html.vim script. This means, it slows it down.
              > - requires a +float (no check yet)

              I like this look a lot better! I made a few improvements:

              - Change the color of StatusLineNC to match StatusLine (and restore it at the
              end) to reduce flashing of the statusline.
              - Draw the progress bar in the new window instead of the original window, to
              reduce the amout of time from the screen clear to the redraw when redrawing
              the windows, reducing the flashing effect.
              - Set the size of the new window to only 2 lines, so that only 1 line of the
              buffer actually appears. The intent of this was to further reduce the flashing
              effect, but it also has the nice side affect of making the conversion MUCH
              faster, since less of the expensive html syntax highlighting needs to be
              completed every redraw.
              - Added a second progress bar for the attributes processing (previously I was
              doing this with a %d/%d printf).
              - Fixed bug in progress bar incr function that prevented incrementing by large
              amounts, that are still less than the maximum value.
              - Fixed bug where progress bar would not fill all the way when doing non-dynamic
              folds.
              - Fixed off-by-one error in progress bar initialization.

              I also removed the "redrawstatus" commands. They did not seem to be necessary,
              and only served to increase the processing time. Did you have a particular
              reason to include them?

            • Benjamin Fritz
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
                On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Benjamin Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                > I like this look a lot better! I made a few improvements:

                And one more bugfix, to prevent throwing errors in the cleanup
                commands at the end.

                With the attached script on fairly recent hardware, I get the
                following timings (in seconds) when converting the 2html.vim script to
                html, several times and discarding the first few trials (these were
                outliers...around 100 seconds, probably while getting the cache all
                ironed out or something):

                with progress bar:
                34
                34
                35
                32
                32
                without progress bar (using let html_no_progress=1):
                33
                33
                33
                33
                32
                32
                33
                30
                unmodified "official" script (with autocmds to set winsize and
                foldmethod to prevent syntax highlighting to screw with the results):
                31
                32
                31
                31

                For me anyway, the difference made by the progress bar, with the
                optimizations in the attached version of 2html.vim, is negligible.

                So...is the screen flashing still too distracting? I think the version
                attached handles it well enough, at least for my purposes.

                Any additional comments or fixes?

              • Christian Brabandt
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                  On Wed, June 2, 2010 1:04 am, Benjamin Fritz wrote:
                  > - Added a second progress bar for the attributes processing (previously I
                  > was
                  > doing this with a %d/%d printf).
                  > I also removed the "redrawstatus" commands. They did not seem to be
                  > necessary,
                  > and only served to increase the processing time. Did you have a particular
                  > reason to include them?

                  Yes. I can't see the progressbar otherwise. It is not updating for me. So
                  I suggest, enabling it again.

                  regards,
                  Christian.

                • Ben Fritz
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                    On Jun 2, 3:13 am, "Christian Brabandt" <cbli...@...> wrote:
                    > On Wed, June 2, 2010 1:04 am, Benjamin Fritz wrote:
                    > > - Added a second progress bar for the attributes processing (previously I
                    > > was
                    > >   doing this with a %d/%d printf).
                    > > I also removed the "redrawstatus" commands. They did not seem to be
                    > > necessary,
                    > > and only served to increase the processing time. Did you have a particular
                    > > reason to include them?
                    >
                    > Yes. I can't see the progressbar otherwise. It is not updating for me. So
                    > I suggest, enabling it again.

                    Interesting. Is this true, even with the progress bar on the top
                    window as in the latest version? If it is on the bottom, the screen
                    clears again for a redraw immediately after the bottom status line is
                    drawn, making it very hard to see the progress bar...which is why I
                    put it on the top.

                    I see from :help :redrawstatus,

                    Useful to update the status line(s) when 'statusline'
                    includes an item that doesn't cause automatic
                    updating.

                    But we're setting the statusline to a new (static) value...surely the
                    statusline is redrawn when 'statusline' is set to something new?

                    If we leave the progress bar on the top window (which I like...any
                    disagreements?) we need to find the appropriate place to put
                    the :redrawstatus command, so that we redraw the correct window's
                    status line. I don't think it's a great idea to use redrawstatus!,
                    although a "normal" use case is probably just the two windows, so
                    maybe it's not that much more expensive?

                    I toyed with the idea of only updating the 'statusline' option and
                    calling :redrawstatus if the progress bar has changed position in a
                    visible way, but on my system (Windows XP, gvim 7.2.437) this wasn't
                    needed.

                    On an unrelated note...should we continue this on vim_use, vim_dev, or
                    both? I original posted to both groups so that I could potentially get
                    more comments, but now it seems we're deep in developer mode.

                  • Ben Fritz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                      On Jun 2, 8:43 am, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@...> wrote:
                      > On Jun 2, 3:13 am, "Christian Brabandt" <cbli...@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > On Wed, June 2, 2010 1:04 am, Benjamin Fritz wrote:
                      > > > - Added a second progress bar for the attributes processing (previously I
                      > > > was
                      > > >   doing this with a %d/%d printf).
                      > > > I also removed the "redrawstatus" commands. They did not seem to be
                      > > > necessary,
                      > > > and only served to increase the processing time. Did you have a particular
                      > > > reason to include them?
                      >
                      > > Yes. I can't see the progressbar otherwise. It is not updating for me. So
                      > > I suggest, enabling it again.
                      >
                      > Interesting. Is this true, even with the progress bar on the top
                      > window as in the latest version? If it is on the bottom, the screen
                      > clears again for a redraw immediately after the bottom status line is
                      > drawn, making it very hard to see the progress bar...which is why I
                      > put it on the top.

                      This got me thinking...so tried the following:

                      gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
                      filetype indent plugin on
                      syntax on
                      :help intro
                      :source $HOME/vimfiles/syntax/2html.vim

                      I do not see the progress bars! The status lines never get drawn at
                      all (and the conversion is lightning fast). It appears I have
                      something in my Vim setup that slows things down enough, or redraws
                      the window, or something, that causes the status lines to appear when
                      normally they would not.

                      Any ideas? I don't see anything suspicious in my usual Buf/Win Enter/
                      Leave autocmds:

                      --- Auto-Commands ---
                      style_highlight WinEnter
                      * if !exists('w:created') | call
                      matchadd('WhitespaceError','\S\@<=\s\+\%#\@<!$') | endif
                      if &filetype=~'\v<%(c|vim|dosbatch)>' && !
                      exists('w:tabs_are_bad') | let w:tabs_are_bad =
                      matchadd('WhitespaceError',"\t") | endif
                      misc WinEnter
                      * if !exists('w:created') && &ft!='qf' | setlocal nowrap
                      | endif
                      matchparen WinEnter
                      * call s:Highlight_Matching_Pair()
                      misc WinEnter
                      * let w:created=1

                      --- Auto-Commands ---
                      insertmode WinLeave
                      * if exists('w:last_fdm') | let &l:foldmethod=w:last_fdm |
                      unlet w:last_fdm | endif

                      --- Auto-Commands ---
                      filetypedetect BufEnter
                      *.xpm if getline(1) =~ "XPM2" | setf xpm2 | else | setf
                      xpm | endif
                      *.xpm2 setf xpm2
                      misc BufEnter
                      * if (&ft=='qf' || &previewwindow || bufname('%') ==#
                      "__Tag_List__") && !exists('s:scrolloff_sav') | let
                      s:scrolloff_sav=&scrolloff | set scrolloff=0 | endif
                      repeatPlugin BufEnter
                      * if g:repeat_tick == 0|let g:repeat_tick = b:changedtick|
                      endif
                      FileExplorer BufEnter
                      * silent! call s:LocalBrowse(expand("<amatch>"))
                      .* silent! call s:LocalBrowse(expand("<amatch>"))
                      BufEnter
                      *.vba setlocal bt=nofile fmr=[[[,]]] fdm=marker|if &ff !=
                      'unix'| setlocal ma ff=unix noma |endif|call
                      vimball#ShowMesg(0,"Source this file to extract it! (:so %)")
                      *.vba.gz setlocal bt=nofile fmr=[[[,]]] fdm=marker|if &ff !=
                      'unix'| setlocal ma ff=unix noma |endif|call
                      vimball#ShowMesg(0,"Source this file to extract it! (:so %)")
                      *.vba.bz2 setlocal bt=nofile fmr=[[[,]]] fdm=marker|if &ff !=
                      'unix'| setlocal ma ff=unix noma |endif|call
                      vimball#ShowMesg(0,"Source this file to extract it! (:so %)")
                      *.vba.zip setlocal bt=nofile fmr=[[[,]]] fdm=marker|if &ff !=
                      'unix'| setlocal ma ff=unix noma |endif|call
                      vimball#ShowMesg(0,"Source this file to extract it! (:so %)")

                      --- Auto-Commands ---
                      misc BufLeave
                      * if (&ft=='qf' || &previewwindow || bufname('%') ==#
                      "__Tag_List__") && exists('s:scrolloff_sav') | let
                      &scrolloff=s:scrolloff_sav | unlet s:scrolloff_sav | endif
                      repeatPlugin BufLeave
                      * let g:repeat_tick = (g:repeat_tick == b:changedtick ||
                      g:repeat_tick == 0) ? 0 : -1

                    • David Fishburn
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                        On 02/06/2010 9:55 AM, Ben Fritz wrote:

                        > On Jun 2, 8:43 am, Ben Fritz<fritzophre...@...> wrote:

                        >>> Yes. I can't see the progressbar otherwise. It is not updating for me. So
                        >>> I suggest, enabling it again.
                        >>>
                        >> Interesting. Is this true, even with the progress bar on the top
                        >> window as in the latest version? If it is on the bottom, the screen
                        >> clears again for a redraw immediately after the bottom status line is
                        >> drawn, making it very hard to see the progress bar...which is why I
                        >> put it on the top.
                        >>

                        > This got me thinking...so tried the following:
                        >
                        > gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
                        > filetype indent plugin on
                        > syntax on
                        > :help intro
                        > :source $HOME/vimfiles/syntax/2html.vim
                        >
                        > I do not see the progress bars! The status lines never get drawn at
                        > all (and the conversion is lightning fast). It appears I have
                        > something in my Vim setup that slows things down enough, or redraws
                        > the window, or something, that causes the status lines to appear when
                        > normally they would not.
                        >
                        > Any ideas? I don't see anything suspicious in my usual Buf/Win Enter/
                        > Leave autocmds:

                        I have a plugin (WhatsMissing) which flips repeatedly back and forth
                        between different buffers.
                        To address my issues with slow performance I changed the function to do
                        this:

                        let l:old_eventignore = &eventignore
                        set eventignore+=BufNewFile,BufReadPre,BufRead,BufReadPost,BufReadCmd
                        set eventignore+=BufFilePre,BufFilePost,FileReadPre,FileReadPost
                        set
                        eventignore+=FileReadCmd,FilterReadPre,FilterReadPost,FileType,Syntax
                        set eventignore+=StdinReadPre,StdinReadPost,BufWrite,BufWritePre
                        set eventignore+=BufWritePost,BufWriteCmd,FileWritePre,FileWritePost
                        set
                        eventignore+=FileWriteCmd,FileAppendPre,FileAppendPost,FileAppendCmd
                        set eventignore+=FilterWritePre,FilterWritePost,FileChangedShell
                        set eventignore+=FileChangedRO,FocusGained,FocusLost,FuncUndefined
                        set eventignore+=CursorHold,BufEnter,BufLeave,BufWinEnter,BufWinLeave
                        set eventignore+=BufUnload,BufHidden,BufNew,BufAdd,BufCreate,BufDelete
                        set eventignore+=BufWipeout,WinEnter,WinLeave,CmdwinEnter,CmdwinLeave
                        set eventignore+=GUIEnter,VimEnter,VimLeavePre,VimLeave,EncodingChanged
                        set eventignore+=FileEncoding,RemoteReply,TermChanged,TermResponse,User

                        something ...

                        Then restored the &eventignore when complete.

                        The performance was dramatic.

                        Perhaps you could put that in yours and see what you get.

                        Dave

                      • Benjamin Fritz
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                          On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
                          > It appears I have
                          > something in my Vim setup that slows things down enough, or redraws
                          > the window, or something, that causes the status lines to appear when
                          > normally they would not.
                          >
                          > Any ideas? I don't see anything suspicious in my usual Buf/Win Enter/
                          > Leave autocmds:

                          Found it. I have the following in my .vimrc:

                          " Highlight trailing whitespace, unless it is being entered now
                          autocmd WinEnter,VimEnter *
                          \ if !exists('w:created') |
                          \ call matchadd('WhitespaceError','\S\@<=\s\+\%#\@<!$') |
                          \ endif
                          " necessary to have it highlight a just-entered trailing space
                          autocmd InsertLeave * redraw!

                          The InsertLeave command is triggering because 2html works using
                          normal! a... commands. I have the autocmd because of the following
                          text in :help /\%# :

                          WARNING: When the cursor is moved after the pattern was used, the
                          result becomes invalid. Vim doesn't automatically update the matches.
                          This is especially relevant for syntax highlighting and 'hlsearch'.
                          In other words: When the cursor moves the display isn't updated for
                          this change. An update is done for lines which are changed (the whole
                          line is updated) or when using the |CTRL-L| command (the whole screen
                          is updated).

                          So anyway, it looks like we need to do the redrawstatus. It would be
                          easiest to just use redrawstatus! right after calling the incr
                          function. I wonder how much of a performance impact this has? If it is
                          significant, we should probably call it only sometimes, perhaps after
                          a progress bar position update (which would mean the number of
                          processed lines would not be updated in real-time on large files). Any
                          thoughts/input?

                          It appears we also need to ignore some events; at least BufEnter,
                          WinEnter, InsertEnter, BufLeave, WinLeave, and InsertLeave. Syntax
                          seems like a good idea as well, but then we'd want to do the syntax
                          highlight when done, so perhaps we can leave this one in. Thoughts on
                          this? Is this really needed as part of the same patch or would this be
                          a future, performance-enhancing-only, patch?

                        • Benjamin Fritz
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                            On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 5:10 AM, ZyX <zyx.vim@...> wrote:

                            > Yes, buffer switching is the problem: attached patch uses my technique (save
                            > everything in a list, not in a buffer) and here are the results:
                            >
                            > My script:
                            > 1:05,09 w/o progress
                            > 1:08,40 ShowProgress=1
                            > 1:20,59 ShowProgress=2
                            > Your 2html:
                            > 1:19,67 w/o progress
                            > 1:44,74 with progress
                            > Patched 2html:
                            > 1:03,51 w/o progress
                            > 1:05,08 with progress

                            Very nice. This is a huge performance boost, and the times are similar
                            with and without the progress bar even with my big 33000 line C file
                            which I used previously.

                            I think it's about ready now. I've added another progress bar for the
                            time taken to collect fold information for dynamic folding, and
                            corrected a few minor bugs in the patch related to dynamic folding. I
                            did end up adding back in a :sleep to the class processing loop, but I
                            reduced the time it sleeps. I'm certainly open to removing this.

                            I've attached the whole file so we don't get into a "which patches do
                            I need?" quagmire.