Re: about backspace key

  • taco
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2010
      On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
      On 2010-06-01, taco wrote:

      > On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

      >     On May 31, 9:01 pm, taco <tac...@...> wrote:
      >     > at insert mode, if I enter character and press backspace to delete it, it
      >     > works. after a second or I have pressed ESC, same as at insert mode,
      >     > pressing backspace don't delete any character. vim default setting just
      >     as
      >     > this like?
      >     >
      >
      >     Every post made to your original question tells you how to fix this,
      >     and how to learn more.
      >
      >     Try reading them.

      > ok, I am sorry,
      >
      > "Set backspace
      > set backspace=eol,start,indent
      >
      > add above lines to .vimrc can fix this issue.
      >
      > I want to learn more, whether vim default setting about backspace is like :
      > > at insert mode, if I enter character and press backspace to delete it, it
      > > works. after a second or I have pressed ESC, same as at insert mode,
      > > pressing backspace don't delete any character. vim default setting just as
      > > this like?

      Do you mean that pressing backspace does not delete the preceding
      character in normal mode?  (See ":help vim-modes" for a definition
      of normal mode.)  If so, that is correct:  in normal mode, pressing
      backspace is supposed to move the cursor to the left, not delete
      anything.  See

         :help <BS>

      for a description of the behavior of the backspace key in normal
      mode.  That help entry also shows you how to change the behavior to
      delete a character.

      Please don't top-post on this mailing list.  The convention here is
      to bottom-post, as explained in the footer attached to every message
      to this list.

      HTH,
      Gary

      sorry again, I am new here.