Installing Gvim with AAP (FreeBSD 8.0)

  • John Degen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2010
      I managed to install Vim on FreeBSD 8.0 using AAP as per the
      instructions on a-a-p.org. It worked well, except I now have a version
      without Perl or Python integration. I don´t need this urgently but I
      wonder how I could have installed the Big version with everything. Is
      this done in the configure file? And if so, how?

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2010
        On 03/05/10 16:43, John Degen wrote:
        > I managed to install Vim on FreeBSD 8.0 using AAP as per the
        > instructions on a-a-p.org. It worked well, except I now have a version
        > without Perl or Python integration. I don´t need this urgently but I
        > wonder how I could have installed the Big version with everything. Is
        > this done in the configure file? And if so, how?

        I'm surprised that this post hasn't yet got any reply.

        Once you have the source, you may select compile-time options. See
        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm for details.
        Don't forget to "make reconfig" (or "make config" followed by "make")
        after you change (or set for the first time) the environment variables
        for your configure parameters.

        Of course, in order to compile with Perl and Python, you will need not
        only the Perl and Python interpreters installed, but also the files
        needed to integrate them into C. I don't know how FreeBSD does it, but
        on Linux that would mean making sure that the Perl and Python -devel
        (RedHat, SuSE, etc.) or -dev (debian, Ubuntu, etc.) packages are installed.

        What makes the universe so hard to comprehend is that there's nothing
        to compare it with.