Re: vim.wikia.com is a poor user experience

    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2010
      On 01/05/10 22:26, stosss wrote:
      > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Charlie Kester<corky1951@...> wrote:
      >> On Thu 29 Apr 2010 at 20:06:47 PDT stosss wrote:

      >>> You are less then 6 years my senior.
      >>
      >> He's only eight months older than me.
      >>
      >> I wonder whether this is typical for vim users? Are we mostly a bunch
      >> of aging baby-boomers who learned to use computers back in the 1970's?
      >>
      >> To put it another way, is vim like a Volkswagen Beetle that we still
      >> drive, partly because we've never had a car we liked better and partly
      >> because it reminds us of our youth?
      >
      > Hey! I resemble that remark! :) I'm not old! Just ask my kids. :)

      You "look like" that remark? Really? Or maybe do you "resent" (feel
      indignation at) it? Or was the pun intended?

      > That means you were born the same month I was born, but five years earlier.

      "Tom Hayden is the kind of politician who gives opportunism a bad
      name."
      -- Gore Vidal

      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2010
        On 01/05/10 22:30, Tim Chase wrote:
        [...]
        > But I think the typically unifying factor for vim users is "wanting to
        > edit text efficiently", not "used punched cards/tape" or "loaded my
        > operating system & software from tape" :-)
        >
        > -tim

        As one of my pseudo-random sigs say, in a quote attributed to Ashley
        Montague: “The idea is to die young... as late as possible.”

        You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot
        today.

      • Jeff Wheeler
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2010
          On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:

          > Some of us are only a little more than half that age...

          And some of us less than 1/3 that age.

          > But I think the typically unifying factor for vim users is "wanting to edit
          > text efficiently", not "used punched cards/tape" or "loaded my operating
          > system & software from tape" :-)

          Agreed; I use vim because it's efficient and (on *nix), damn pretty.

          --
          Jeff Wheeler

          Undergraduate, Electrical Engineering

        • Bu Rak
          Message 4 of 16 , May 5, 2010
            Agreed, not all of us is young enough to see Punched Cards :)