Re: vim.wikia.com is a poor user experience

    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2010
      On 01/05/10 21:50, Charlie Kester wrote:
      > On Thu 29 Apr 2010 at 20:06:47 PDT stosss wrote:
      >> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Tony Mechelynck
      >> <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> Of course, if you're already over 13 (I'll be 60 next January ;-) ) the
      >>> birth date doesn't have to be bogus. :-)
      >>
      >> You are less then 6 years my senior.
      >
      > He's only eight months older than me.
      >
      > I wonder whether this is typical for vim users? Are we mostly a bunch
      > of aging baby-boomers who learned to use computers back in the 1970's?
      >
      > To put it another way, is vim like a Volkswagen Beetle that we still
      > drive, partly because we've never had a car we liked better and partly
      > because it reminds us of our youth?
      >
      > - Charlie

      I only learnt Vim a few years ago, the current version was 6.1 IIRC; I
      think the first file I edited with it was /etc/lilo.conf (that I don't
      use anymore). Forty years ago I would edit source files by punching onto
      Hollerith cards replacement lines which were then added between or
      instead of existing lines, according to their line number in columns 1-6
      (for COBOL) or 1-5 (for assembly or job-control languages), into source
      tapes by a program named UPDATE (that 6-bit machine's 64-character set
      included no lowercase). ("Delete" lines, either by range or for single
      lines, were of course also foreseen.)

      For me, UPDATE was the bicycle, Notepad was the Citroën 2CV, and gvim is
      the limo.

      Religion has done love a great service by making it a sin.
      -- Anatole France

      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2010
        On 01/05/10 22:26, stosss wrote:
        > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Charlie Kester<corky1951@...> wrote:
        >> On Thu 29 Apr 2010 at 20:06:47 PDT stosss wrote:

        >>> You are less then 6 years my senior.
        >>
        >> He's only eight months older than me.
        >>
        >> I wonder whether this is typical for vim users? Are we mostly a bunch
        >> of aging baby-boomers who learned to use computers back in the 1970's?
        >>
        >> To put it another way, is vim like a Volkswagen Beetle that we still
        >> drive, partly because we've never had a car we liked better and partly
        >> because it reminds us of our youth?
        >
        > Hey! I resemble that remark! :) I'm not old! Just ask my kids. :)

        You "look like" that remark? Really? Or maybe do you "resent" (feel
        indignation at) it? Or was the pun intended?

        > That means you were born the same month I was born, but five years earlier.

        "Tom Hayden is the kind of politician who gives opportunism a bad
        name."
        -- Gore Vidal

        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2010
          On 01/05/10 22:30, Tim Chase wrote:
          [...]
          > But I think the typically unifying factor for vim users is "wanting to
          > edit text efficiently", not "used punched cards/tape" or "loaded my
          > operating system & software from tape" :-)
          >
          > -tim

          As one of my pseudo-random sigs say, in a quote attributed to Ashley
          Montague: “The idea is to die young... as late as possible.”

          You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot
          today.

        • Jeff Wheeler
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2010
            On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:

            > Some of us are only a little more than half that age...

            And some of us less than 1/3 that age.

            > But I think the typically unifying factor for vim users is "wanting to edit
            > text efficiently", not "used punched cards/tape" or "loaded my operating
            > system & software from tape" :-)

            Agreed; I use vim because it's efficient and (on *nix), damn pretty.

            --
            Jeff Wheeler

            Undergraduate, Electrical Engineering

          • Bu Rak
            Message 5 of 16 , May 5, 2010
              Agreed, not all of us is young enough to see Punched Cards :)