Re: netrw troubles

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2010
      On 05/03/10 01:35, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
      > rameo wrote:
      [...]
      >> How can I resolve this problem?
      >
      > The problem appears to be that you're not getting the trailing slashes
      > (see :help netrw-dirlist). The trailing slash indicates to netrw that a
      > directory listing rather than a file transfer is wanted. Remote
      > directory listings should have slashes for directories; if you're having
      > problems in not having that trailing slash, then there's either an odd
      > ftp client or a server. To track down such a problem -- see :help
      > netrw-debug. Is it a M$ server?
      [...]

      Personally I get the slashes, except for softlinks to directories. In
      that case the server sends a line like (e.g. for the entry for
      "mozilla.org" in the pub/ directory of ftp.mozilla.org):

      lrwxrwxrwx 1 ftp ftp 1 Sep 14 2006 mozilla.org -> .

      but netrw (in "long" listing mode) changes that to

      mozilla.org lrwxrwxrwx 1 ftp ftp 1 Sep 14 2006

      removing the ' -> ' and all that follows it. I can still see that that
      line is for a link (by the l as initial permission), but netrw doesn't
      tell me what it links to. Also, when sorting by name, the link is not
      segregated to the top of the list, even when directories are.

      BTW I'm still getting "Invalid command", the first time only, when
      browsing a directory. As a workaround I immediately use ":view" (with no
      quotes and no aguments) to get the listing. (Could that be related to
      the fact that no username/password is required, even though the server
      asks for it with a 331 message after the motd? I have a .netrc file.)

      A few days ago I got disconnected from the other end (36-hour silent
      ADSL connection expiration from my ISP); netrw could not go on browsing
      the same site (after reconnecting the ADSL interface). I had to browse a
      different FTP server and come back before netrw could go on browsing the
      "interrupted" one. How do I get netrw to "reopen" the current server and
      directory?

      You know you have a small apartment when Rice Krispies echo.
      -- S. Rickly Christian

      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2010
        On 03/05/10 16:16, Charles Campbell wrote:
        [...]
        > I'm sure I could get netrw to make "-> ." into a "/", thereby making it
        > treat such links as directories. However, I'm not at all sure that "->
        > something" is always a directory -- and I don't really see a simple way
        > to know whether the target is a file or directory. Suggestions?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Chip Campbell

        Other than getting the directory entry for whatever the link points to,
        recursively, which would probably be unacceptable in terms of
        performance, I don't have any.

        Or maybe "following the link" but only if and when the user hits <Enter>
        or o on it, to see /then/ if it's a "file", a "directory" or a further
        link to be followed? (IIRC, in "short" mode links have an @ suffix. Or
        do they?)

        -- Mark Twain