How to automatically update the view in a vim when the same file is changed in other vim session?

  • Peng Yu
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2010
      If I open the same file in two gvim sessions, and modify and write the
      file in one session, the other session will be notified. However, this
      is not true for vim. Is there a way to configure vim do the same thing?

    • Zhou, Yunqing
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2010
        Can't you just use ":e" to update the buffer instead of finding a way for vim to talk each other?

        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2010
          On 01/05/10 16:30, Peng Yu wrote:
          > If I open the same file in two gvim sessions, and modify and write the
          > file in one session, the other session will be notified. However, this
          > is not true for vim. Is there a way to configure vim do the same thing?

          See :help 'autoread'

          Note that Vim doesn't know that "the other program" which modified the
          file is another instance of Vim -- it could be anything. Also, this
          won't work if Vim notices that a 'modified' file has also been modified
          somewhere else: in this case you will have to decide which changes to trash.

          Finer control (but also more occasions to shoot yourself in the foot) is
          afforded by the FileChangedShell autocommand event.

          Bizoos, n.:
          The millions of tiny individual bumps that make up a
          basketball.
          -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"

        • Peng Yu
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2010
            On May 1, 10:19 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
            wrote:
            > On 01/05/10 16:30, Peng Yu wrote:
            >
            > > If I open the same file in two gvim sessions, and modify and write the
            > > file in one session, the other session will be notified. However, this
            > > is not true for vim. Is there a way to configure vim do the same thing?
            >
            > See :help 'autoread'
            >
            > Note that Vim doesn't know that "the other program" which modified the
            > file is another instance of Vim -- it could be anything. Also, this
            > won't work if Vim notices that a 'modified' file has also been modified
            > somewhere else: in this case you will have to decide which changes to trash.
            >
            > Finer control (but also more occasions to shoot yourself in the foot) is
            > afforded by the FileChangedShell autocommand event.

            I type :set autoread in both vim session starting from genome-
            terminal. Then, I write to the file from one vim session, the other
            vim doesn't know the file has been changed. However, gvim knows a file
            has been changed. Therefore, I doubt that it is because of some
            configuration problem.

            Then, what is the different between gvim and vim cause the difference
            in this behavior?

            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2010
              On 01/05/10 20:38, Peng Yu wrote:

              > On May 1, 10:19 am, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
              > wrote:
              >> On 01/05/10 16:30, Peng Yu wrote:
              >>
              >>> If I open the same file in two gvim sessions, and modify and write the
              >>> file in one session, the other session will be notified. However, this
              >>> is not true for vim. Is there a way to configure vim do the same thing?
              >>
              >> See :help 'autoread'
              >>
              >> Note that Vim doesn't know that "the other program" which modified the
              >> file is another instance of Vim -- it could be anything. Also, this
              >> won't work if Vim notices that a 'modified' file has also been modified
              >> somewhere else: in this case you will have to decide which changes to trash.
              >>
              >> Finer control (but also more occasions to shoot yourself in the foot) is
              >> afforded by the FileChangedShell autocommand event.
              >
              > I type :set autoread in both vim session starting from genome-
              > terminal. Then, I write to the file from one vim session, the other
              > vim doesn't know the file has been changed. However, gvim knows a file
              > has been changed. Therefore, I doubt that it is because of some
              > configuration problem.
              >
              > Then, what is the different between gvim and vim cause the difference
              > in this behavior?

              See :help FileChangedShell

              gvim checks the file's timestamp when it regains input focus. Most
              console versions cannot detect that they have lost or gained focus, see
              ":help FocusGained" and ":help FocusLost".

              The command
              :checktime
              (q.v.) will also trigger the check.

              ARTHUR: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that
              Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here.
              GUARD #1: Listen, in order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow
              needs to beat its wings 43 times every second, right?
              ARTHUR: Please!
              The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty
              Python)