Re: Yank range ?

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1 3:56 AM
      On 01/05/10 05:00, stosss wrote:
      > On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:57 PM, stosss<stosss@...> wrote:

      >>> i think it'll be in the un-named register (")
      >>
      >> Yes typing P dumped my text into the file.
      >>
      >>> i think what you wanted to do was
      >>>
      >>> :'y,'zyc
      >>
      >> This produced the E492 error
      >>
      >> So how does range yank into a named register work?
      >
      > Answering my own question.
      >
      > This is the correct way:
      >
      > :'y,'zy c
      >
      > There has to be a space between yank and the register.

      Yes, so Vim knows where the ex-command name ends (otherwise it'll think
      that you want some :yc command,and complain that there is none.

      In your initial command (with y"c), Vim sees the double-quote and
      anything following it as a comment, and therefore uses the "unnamed"
      register, ats it always does when a register is expected and you don't
      name one.

      "What is the Nature of God?"

      CLICK...CLICK...WHIRRR...CLICK...=BEEP!=
      1 QT. SOUR CREAM
      1 TSP. SAUERKRAUT
      1/2 CUT CHIVES.
      STIR AND SPRINKLE WITH BACON BITS.

      "I've just GOT to start labeling my software..."
      -- Bloom County