vim.wikia.com is a poor user experience

  • Lloyd Budd
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 28, 2010
      Hello fantastic vim users,

      I haven't needed a vim tip in some time it seems.

      My Google search ended at http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Switching_case_of_characters

      I couldn't even read the text with the nauseating animated banner ad
      pushing the text right.
      screen shot: http://skitch.com/lloydbudd/dbnhh/switching-case-of-characters-vim-tips-wiki

      I love vim, thanks for listening,
      LLoyd

    • sc
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 28, 2010
        On Wednesday 28 April 2010 6:52:51 pm Lloyd Budd wrote:

        > Hello fantastic vim users,
        >
        > I haven't needed a vim tip in some time it seems.
        >
        > My Google search ended at
        > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Switching_case_of_characters
        >
        > I couldn't even read the text with the nauseating animated
        > banner ad pushing the text right.
        > screen shot:
        > http://skitch.com/lloydbudd/dbnhh/switching-case-of-character
        > s-vim-tips-wiki

        i don't see any ads at all when i go to that site -- of course
        i'm using firefox + adblock plus

        sc

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 28, 2010
          Lloyd Budd wrote:
          > My Google search ended at
          > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Switching_case_of_characters
          >
          > I couldn't even read the text with the nauseating animated
          > banner ad pushing the text right.
          > screen shot:
          > http://skitch.com/lloydbudd/dbnhh/switching-case-of-characters
          > -vim-tips-wiki

          Yes, the adverts can be a pain. I actually checked the other day
          (that is, I browsed a couple of pages as an anonymous user on a
          system with no ad blocking software) and the adverts were OK.
          They were plain and not unattractive, with no animation.
          However, I know they also have animated adverts including Flash.

          There is not much we can do because Wikia provide not just the
          base system, but they also maintain the software and provide
          quite good support (I've only had to ask for help a couple of
          times, and the response was good). Someone might be able to
          donate a base system with no ads, but the maintenance and
          assurance of continuing availability would be a problem.

          Anyway, for an individual user like yourself, there is an easy
          way to avoid the adverts (but adverts will still be visible on
          the main page, and will be seen occasionally due to a glitch
          which sometimes shows an advert when it is not supposed to).

          At vim.wikia.com click the buttons to register an account. When
          logged on, there are no adverts. You can stay logged on for 30
          days (if cookies enabled).

          When making an account: Enter a bogus date of birth making your
          age over 13 (Google COPPA to understand this requirement). I
          recommend you enter a valid email address so you can be notified
          if someone leaves you a message on your user talk page. In three
          years I have had no spam.

          John

        • John Little
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 28, 2010
            On Apr 29, 11:52 am, Lloyd Budd <foolswis...@...> wrote:
            > I couldn't even read the text with the nauseating animated banner ad
            > pushing the text right.

            Create an account and log in. Many fewer ads.

            HTH, John

          • Lloyd Budd
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 29, 2010
              Thanks for the thoughtful responses everyone.

              I'll go ahead and create an account.

              I still might try and track down someone at wikia to suggest smarter
              ad logic like we do on WordPress.com .

              Thanks again for the awesome software and community,
              Lloyd

            • John Beckett
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 29, 2010
                Lloyd Budd wrote:
                > I still might try and track down someone at wikia to suggest
                > smarter ad logic like we do on WordPress.com .

                Wikia have put a lot of effort into their ads and they have a
                mechanism for reporting "bad" ads (really obnoxious, offensive,
                malware) because they sell block space to third parties rather
                than micro manage each ad. If you have ideas, you might like to
                mention them initially on my talk:
                http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:JohnBeckett

                John

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 29, 2010
                  On 29/04/10 04:55, John Beckett wrote:
                  [...]
                  > When making an account: Enter a bogus date of birth making your
                  > age over 13 (Google COPPA to understand this requirement). I
                  > recommend you enter a valid email address so you can be notified
                  > if someone leaves you a message on your user talk page. In three
                  > years I have had no spam.
                  >
                  > John

                  Of course, if you're already over 13 (I'll be 60 next January ;-) ) the
                  birth date doesn't have to be bogus. :-)

                  Futility Factor: No experiment is ever a complete failure - it can always
                  serve as a negative example.

                • stosss
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 29, 2010
                    On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Tony Mechelynck
                    <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                    > On 29/04/10 04:55, John Beckett wrote:
                    > [...]
                    >>
                    >> When making an account: Enter a bogus date of birth making your
                    >> age over 13 (Google COPPA to understand this requirement). I
                    >> recommend you enter a valid email address so you can be notified
                    >> if someone leaves you a message on your user talk page. In three
                    >> years I have had no spam.
                    >>
                    >> John
                    >>

                    > Of course, if you're already over 13 (I'll be 60 next January ;-) ) the
                    > birth date doesn't have to be bogus. :-)

                    You are less then 6 years my senior.

                    --
                    If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
                    people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become

                  • Charlie Kester
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 1 12:50 PM
                      On Thu 29 Apr 2010 at 20:06:47 PDT stosss wrote:
                      >On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Tony Mechelynck
                      ><antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Of course, if you're already over 13 (I'll be 60 next January ;-) ) the
                      >> birth date doesn't have to be bogus. :-)
                      >
                      >You are less then 6 years my senior.

                      He's only eight months older than me.

                      I wonder whether this is typical for vim users? Are we mostly a bunch
                      of aging baby-boomers who learned to use computers back in the 1970's?

                      To put it another way, is vim like a Volkswagen Beetle that we still
                      drive, partly because we've never had a car we liked better and partly
                      because it reminds us of our youth?

                      - Charlie

                    • stosss
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 1 1:26 PM
                        On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Charlie Kester <corky1951@...> wrote:
                        > On Thu 29 Apr 2010 at 20:06:47 PDT stosss wrote:
                        >>
                        >> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Tony Mechelynck
                        >> <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                        >>>
                        >>> Of course, if you're already over 13 (I'll be 60 next January ;-) ) the
                        >>> birth date doesn't have to be bogus. :-)
                        >>
                        >> You are less then 6 years my senior.
                        >
                        > He's only eight months older than me.
                        >
                        > I wonder whether this is typical for vim users?  Are we mostly a bunch
                        > of aging baby-boomers who learned to use computers back in the 1970's?
                        >
                        > To put it another way, is vim like a Volkswagen Beetle that we still
                        > drive, partly because we've never had a car we liked better and partly
                        > because it reminds us of our youth?

                        Hey! I resemble that remark! :) I'm not old! Just ask my kids. :)

                        That means you were born the same month I was born, but five years earlier.

                        --
                        A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong
                        enough to take everything you have.

                      • Tim Chase
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 1 1:30 PM
                          On 05/01/2010 02:50 PM, Charlie Kester wrote:
                          >>> Of course, if you're already over 13 (I'll be 60 next January ;-) ) the
                          >>> birth date doesn't have to be bogus. :-)
                          >>
                          >> You are less then 6 years my senior.
                          >
                          > He's only eight months older than me.
                          >
                          > I wonder whether this is typical for vim users? Are we mostly a bunch
                          > of aging baby-boomers who learned to use computers back in the 1970's?

                          Some of us are only a little more than half that age...

                          But I think the typically unifying factor for vim users is
                          "wanting to edit text efficiently", not "used punched cards/tape"
                          or "loaded my operating system & software from tape" :-)

                          -tim

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 1 1:32 PM
                            On 01/05/10 21:50, Charlie Kester wrote:
                            > On Thu 29 Apr 2010 at 20:06:47 PDT stosss wrote:
                            >> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Tony Mechelynck
                            >> <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                            >>>
                            >>> Of course, if you're already over 13 (I'll be 60 next January ;-) ) the
                            >>> birth date doesn't have to be bogus. :-)
                            >>
                            >> You are less then 6 years my senior.
                            >
                            > He's only eight months older than me.
                            >
                            > I wonder whether this is typical for vim users? Are we mostly a bunch
                            > of aging baby-boomers who learned to use computers back in the 1970's?
                            >
                            > To put it another way, is vim like a Volkswagen Beetle that we still
                            > drive, partly because we've never had a car we liked better and partly
                            > because it reminds us of our youth?
                            >
                            > - Charlie

                            I only learnt Vim a few years ago, the current version was 6.1 IIRC; I
                            think the first file I edited with it was /etc/lilo.conf (that I don't
                            use anymore). Forty years ago I would edit source files by punching onto
                            Hollerith cards replacement lines which were then added between or
                            instead of existing lines, according to their line number in columns 1-6
                            (for COBOL) or 1-5 (for assembly or job-control languages), into source
                            tapes by a program named UPDATE (that 6-bit machine's 64-character set
                            included no lowercase). ("Delete" lines, either by range or for single
                            lines, were of course also foreseen.)

                            For me, UPDATE was the bicycle, Notepad was the Citroën 2CV, and gvim is
                            the limo.

                            Religion has done love a great service by making it a sin.
                            -- Anatole France

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 1 1:37 PM
                              On 01/05/10 22:26, stosss wrote:
                              > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Charlie Kester<corky1951@...> wrote:
                              >> On Thu 29 Apr 2010 at 20:06:47 PDT stosss wrote:

                              >>> You are less then 6 years my senior.
                              >>
                              >> He's only eight months older than me.
                              >>
                              >> I wonder whether this is typical for vim users? Are we mostly a bunch
                              >> of aging baby-boomers who learned to use computers back in the 1970's?
                              >>
                              >> To put it another way, is vim like a Volkswagen Beetle that we still
                              >> drive, partly because we've never had a car we liked better and partly
                              >> because it reminds us of our youth?
                              >
                              > Hey! I resemble that remark! :) I'm not old! Just ask my kids. :)

                              You "look like" that remark? Really? Or maybe do you "resent" (feel
                              indignation at) it? Or was the pun intended?

                              > That means you were born the same month I was born, but five years earlier.

                              "Tom Hayden is the kind of politician who gives opportunism a bad
                              name."
                              -- Gore Vidal

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 1 1:43 PM
                                On 01/05/10 22:30, Tim Chase wrote:
                                [...]
                                > But I think the typically unifying factor for vim users is "wanting to
                                > edit text efficiently", not "used punched cards/tape" or "loaded my
                                > operating system & software from tape" :-)
                                >
                                > -tim

                                As one of my pseudo-random sigs say, in a quote attributed to Ashley
                                Montague: “The idea is to die young... as late as possible.”

                                You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot
                                today.

                              • Jeff Wheeler
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 1 5:26 PM
                                  On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:

                                  > Some of us are only a little more than half that age...

                                  And some of us less than 1/3 that age.

                                  > But I think the typically unifying factor for vim users is "wanting to edit
                                  > text efficiently", not "used punched cards/tape" or "loaded my operating
                                  > system & software from tape" :-)

                                  Agreed; I use vim because it's efficient and (on *nix), damn pretty.

                                  --
                                  Jeff Wheeler

                                  Undergraduate, Electrical Engineering

                                • Bu Rak
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 5 12:56 AM
                                    Agreed, not all of us is young enough to see Punched Cards :)