Re: Vim accented characters in text based console

  • BC
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2010
      On Apr 11, 12:28 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
      wrote:

      > Of course, if you want to use an apostrophe followed by a vowel then,
      > you will have to either switch the keymap temporarily off beforehand
      > (see below), or else "break" the mapping, either by waiting for a
      > timeout (by default one second, see :help 'timeoutlen', but 'timeout'
      > [q.v.] must be on [not the default] for that) after the apostrophe, or
      > by inserting some "do-nothing" key-sequence after the apostrophe, for
      > instance <Left><Right>.

      I found by accident that the simplest way to defeat the ' dead key is
      just to hit it twice; that gives you the apostrophe. HItting the space
      bar won't do it, unfortunately -- if it did, this would be very
      comfortable for people used to the US-International keyboard layout.
      But a double tap on the apostrophe works great.

      I'm very grateful to learn about keymap=accents. It's much more
      convenient than the Ctrl-K commands I was struggling with! Thanks.

      - B