Info command in vim

  • robert song
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 23, 2010
      Hello,everyone.
      Is there any useful info plugin in vim ?
      I found one info plugin in vim site http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=21,
      but it seems to have problem in my vim7.1 version.

      Regards,
      robert

    • sc
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 23, 2010
        On Friday 23 April 2010 10:19:02 pm robert song wrote:

        > Is there any useful info plugin in vim ?
        > I found one info plugin in vim site
        > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=21, but it
        > seems to have problem in my vim7.1 version.

        two questions come to mind:

        1) is there any chance you could upgrade to a newer vim?
        current is 7.2 with 411 patches

        and

        2) could you be more specific about the nature of the problem
        you are having with this old plugin?

        i should probably also ask whether info works properly for you
        at the (bash?) command prompt

        sc

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 23, 2010
          On 2010-04-24, sc wrote:
          > On Friday 23 April 2010 10:19:02 pm robert song wrote:
          >
          > > Is there any useful info plugin in vim ?
          > > I found one info plugin in vim site
          > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=21, but it
          > > seems to have problem in my vim7.1 version.
          >
          > two questions come to mind:
          >
          > 1) is there any chance you could upgrade to a newer vim?
          > current is 7.2 with 411 patches

          I have continual problems using that plugin, too. The vim version
          I'm using now is 7.2.330 that I built on a Red Hat Linux system.

          > and
          >
          > 2) could you be more specific about the nature of the problem
          > you are having with this old plugin?

          I almost always run into some problem using that plugin.
          Fortunately, I can usually get the information I need before it
          stops working. I just haven't taken the time to report the problems
          properly.

          It didn't take long to find an example.

          $ vim -c 'Info find'

          Move the cursor to the word "Introduction" and hit Enter. The
          Introduction node appears. So far, so good. Type 'u' to go up.
          Get the following message.

          :call <SNR>45_UpNode() Error detected while processing function <SNR>41_gotoline:
          line 6:

          Info failed (node not found)
          Press ENTER or type command to continue

          > i should probably also ask whether info works properly for you
          > at the (bash?) command prompt

          If I knew how to use info at a shell prompt, I wouldn't have to use
          the info.vim plugin. :-)

          Regards,
          Gary

        • stosss
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 23, 2010
            >> i should probably also ask whether info works properly for you
            >> at the (bash?) command prompt
            >
            > If I knew how to use info at a shell prompt, I wouldn't have to use
            > the info.vim plugin.  :-)

            I am glad I am not the only one. Does any one know how to use info at
            the shell prompt? I don't think I have ever seen positive feedback
            about info.

            --
            If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
            people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become

          • sc
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 24, 2010
              On Saturday 24 April 2010 1:37:30 am stosss wrote:

              > >> i should probably also ask whether info works properly for
              > >> you at the (bash?) command prompt
              > >
              > > If I knew how to use info at a shell prompt, I wouldn't have
              > > to use the info.vim plugin. :-)
              >
              > I am glad I am not the only one. Does any one know how to use
              > info at the shell prompt? I don't think I have ever seen
              > positive feedback about info.

              me either -- if you want to take the time to learn it,

              info info

              will get you started

              sc

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 24, 2010
                Hi stosss!

                On Sa, 24 Apr 2010, stosss wrote:

                > >> i should probably also ask whether info works properly for you
                > >> at the (bash?) command prompt
                > >
                > > If I knew how to use info at a shell prompt, I wouldn't have to use
                > > the info.vim plugin.  :-)
                >
                > I am glad I am not the only one. Does any one know how to use info at
                > the shell prompt? I don't think I have ever seen positive feedback
                > about info.

                I find pinfo a lot easier to use.

                regards,
                Christian

              • robert song
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 24, 2010
                  hmm, of couse I can use it in the shell command,
                  but in the vi environment, it's more useful for me to search for
                  some information in the vi directly during coding just like emacs
                  does.
                  So a useful plugin is prefer.

                  2010/4/24 sc <toothpik@...>:

                  >> > If I knew how to use info at a shell prompt, I wouldn't have
                  >> > to use the info.vim plugin.  :-)
                  >>
                  >> I am glad I am not the only one. Does any one know how to use
                  >>  info at the shell prompt? I don't think I have ever seen
                  >>  positive feedback about info.
                  >
                  > me either -- if you want to take the time to learn it,
                  >
                  >    info info
                  >
                  > will get you started
                  >
                  > sc

                • robert song
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 26, 2010
                    Hi, everyone.

                    Now I used a workaround to solve the problem.

                    I just added one function in the .vimrc file.

                    function Info(cmd)
                    execute "r!info --subnodes --output - ". a:cmd
                    endfunction
                    com -nargs=* Info call Info(<f-args>)

                    :Info gcc
                    All the gcc info will be outputted.

                    Best Regards,
                    robert

                  • Britton Kerin
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 26, 2010
                      On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 5:56 PM, robert song <robertsong.japan@...> wrote:
                      > Hi, everyone.
                      >
                      > Now I used a workaround to solve the problem.
                      >
                      > I just added one function in the .vimrc file.
                      >
                      > function Info(cmd)
                      >  execute "r!info --subnodes --output - ". a:cmd
                      > endfunction
                      > com -nargs=* Info call Info(<f-args>)
                      >

                      > :Info gcc
                      > All the gcc info will be outputted.

                      This seems to work nicely to do something I've wanted for a while.
                      I have to admit I don't quite see why it works. What's giving us
                      the new window rather than just dumping the info command output
                      into the current buffer as :r! says? This command by itself:

                      :execute "r!info --subnodes --output - gcc"

                      puts its output in the current buffer, what part of the function
                      and command wrapping layers is changing this?

                      Britton

                      > Best Regards,
                      >  robert

                    • robert song
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 27, 2010
                        Hi, Britton.

                        > This seems to work nicely to do something I've wanted for a while.
                        > I have to admit I don't quite see why it works. What's giving us
                        > the new window rather than just dumping the info command output
                        > into the current buffer as :r! says? This command by itself:
                        >
                        > :execute "r!info --subnodes --output - gcc"
                        >
                        > puts its output in the current buffer, what part of the function
                        > and command wrapping layers is changing this?

                        The command is simple.

                        We can use the following command to dump all gcc info in terminal.
                        Host> info --subnodes --output - gcc

                        And r!{cmd} is used to "read the Execute {cmd} and insert its standard
                        output below the cursor or the specified line."

                        Best Regards,
                        robert

                      • Britton Kerin
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 28, 2010
                          On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 5:06 AM, robert song <robertsong.japan@...> wrote:
                          > Hi, Britton.
                          >
                          >> This seems to work nicely to do something I've wanted for a while.
                          >> I have to admit I don't quite see why it works.  What's giving us
                          >> the new window rather than just dumping the info command output
                          >> into the current buffer as :r! says?  This command by itself:
                          >>
                          >>   :execute "r!info --subnodes --output - gcc"
                          >>
                          >> puts its output in the current buffer, what part of the function
                          >> and command wrapping layers is changing this?
                          >
                          > The command is simple.
                          >
                          > We can use the following command to dump all gcc info in terminal.
                          > Host> info --subnodes --output - gcc
                          >
                          > And r!{cmd} is used to "read the Execute {cmd} and insert its standard
                          > output below the cursor or the specified line."

                          Yes, but this isn't what happens for me. Instead, I get a vertical split and
                          a new window with filetype=info. Is this not what happens for you?
                          Its nice behavior, but as I explain above its not what happens with the
                          underlying ':execute "r!info --subnodes --output - gcc"' command. I'm
                          curious to understand why.

                          Britton

                        • Gary Johnson
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 5, 2010
                            On 2010-08-28, Britton Kerin wrote:
                            > On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 5:06 AM, robert song wrote:
                            > > Hi, Britton.
                            > >
                            > >> This seems to work nicely to do something I've wanted for a while.
                            > >> I have to admit I don't quite see why it works.  What's giving us
                            > >> the new window rather than just dumping the info command output
                            > >> into the current buffer as :r! says?  This command by itself:
                            > >>
                            > >>   :execute "r!info --subnodes --output - gcc"
                            > >>
                            > >> puts its output in the current buffer, what part of the function
                            > >> and command wrapping layers is changing this?
                            > >
                            > > The command is simple.
                            > >
                            > > We can use the following command to dump all gcc info in terminal.
                            > > Host> info --subnodes --output - gcc
                            > >
                            > > And r!{cmd} is used to "read the Execute {cmd} and insert its standard
                            > > output below the cursor or the specified line."
                            >
                            > Yes, but this isn't what happens for me. Instead, I get a vertical split and
                            > a new window with filetype=info. Is this not what happens for you?
                            > Its nice behavior, but as I explain above its not what happens with the
                            > underlying ':execute "r!info --subnodes --output - gcc"' command. I'm
                            > curious to understand why.

                            To find out why it behaves that way for you, see

                            :help 'verbose'
                            :help 'verbosefile'

                            Set 'verbose' to 12 to start with, and maybe set 'verbosefile' to
                            something to keep down the noise on your screen, then execute your
                            ":execute ..." command and see what it produces.

                            Regards,
                            Gary

                          • robert song
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 6, 2010
                              Hi,Britton.

                              > Yes, but this isn't what happens for me. Instead, I get a vertical split
                              > and
                              > a new window with filetype=info. Is this not what happens for you?
                              > Its nice behavior, but as I explain above its not what happens with the
                              > underlying ':execute "r!info --subnodes --output - gcc"' command. I'm
                              > curious to understand why.

                              Hmm, I didn't know why.

                              And I modify the Info function to open a new window and jump to to top
                              line of the dumped result.

                              function Info(cmd)
                              execute "new"
                              execute "r!info --subnodes --output - ". a:cmd
                              normal gg
                              endfunction

                              Best Wishes,
                              robert