Planning Vim 7.3

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 11, 2010
      Hello Vim users!

      It has been a long time since the last release: Vim 7.2 was released in
      August 2008. There have been many patches, but not everybody will use
      them. It's about time for 7.3!

      I will try to include a few patches that have been pending for a while.
      I don't have much time available, thus I will only include things that
      take a few hours of my time. That basically means patches that are
      ready to be included.

      I will check the voting list to see what the most popular features are:
      http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

      One thing that I will certainly do is improve the MS-Windows installer.
      I recently installed Vim on a new laptop and it didn't work very well.
      More and more people are using Windows 7. I think that taking Window XP
      as the minimal platform will work well. I hope we can make installing
      Vim on MS-Windows as simple and reliable as possible.

      I also plan to drop the split in "lang" and "extra" archives. The
      burden to have several feature sets is no longer justified by the
      slightly smaller distribution. Putting everything together makes things
      a lot simpler.

      Mercurial is going to be the primary method for distribution. I'll
      drop CVS, it slows me down too much. Someone else might be able to
      mirror the Mercurial repository in CVS, like it's done for Subversion.

      I hope to bring out a first beta version by the end of May. That gives
      everybody time to send me updated and polished patches and runtime
      files. I need to have these halfway May, I also need some time to
      integrate everything.

      It would also be nice if we can update the spell files. Volunteers
      wanted! See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
      section.

      --
      SOLDIER: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
      ARTHUR: It could grip it by the husk ...

      You received this message from the "vim_announce" maillist.

    • Bram Moolenaar

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 11, 2010
          On 11/04/10 16:33, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          [...]
          > It would also be nice if we can update the spell files. Volunteers
          > wanted! See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
          > section.

          IIUC, Mozilla uses the same spellfile format as Vim? If that's the case,
          and if the Mozilla license (which, BTW, is undergoing revision, see
          among others
          http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2010/03/10/updating-the-mozilla-public-license/
          ), or whatever other license some of these dictionaries may be using, is
          found to be compatible with the Vim license, then maybe we could "just"
          borrow the desired files from the dictionaries at
          https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/browse/type:3 ? (Note: an
          .xpi is just a .zip under another name.)

          Heavy, adj.:
          Seduced by the chocolate side of the force.

        • Dominique Pellé
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 11, 2010
            Tony Mechelynck wrote:

            > On 11/04/10 16:33, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > [...]
            >>
            >> It would also be nice if we can update the spell files.  Volunteers
            >> wanted!  See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
            >> section.
            >>

            > IIUC, Mozilla uses the same spellfile format as Vim? If that's the case, and
            > if the Mozilla license (which, BTW, is undergoing revision, see among others
            > http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2010/03/10/updating-the-mozilla-public-license/
            > ), or whatever other license some of these dictionaries may be using, is
            > found to be compatible with the Vim license, then maybe we could "just"
            > borrow the desired files from the dictionaries at
            > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/browse/type:3 ? (Note: an .xpi
            > is just a .zip under another name.)

            ":help spell-mkspell" says:

            You can create a Vim spell file from the .aff and .dic files that Myspell
            uses. Myspell is used by OpenOffice.org and Mozilla. You should be able to
            find them here:
            http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries

            The link in help file contains dictionaries for the old OpenOffice-2.x.

            OpenOffice-3.x has changed the format of the dictionaries
            OpenOffice-3.x dictionaries are available at:

            http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/dictionary

            Does anybody knows whether it's possible to convert the
            OpenOffice-3.x dictionaries to Vim dictionaries?

            OpenOffice-3.x has more dictionaries than OpenOffice-2.x.
            For example, I'm interested in converting the Breton dictionary
            to Vim, but it's only available for OpenOffice-3.x and not OpenOffice-2.x.

            Cheers
            -- Dominique

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 11, 2010
              Hi Bram!

              On So, 11 Apr 2010, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Hello Vim users!
              >
              > It has been a long time since the last release: Vim 7.2 was released in
              > August 2008. There have been many patches, but not everybody will use
              > them. It's about time for 7.3!
              >
              > I will try to include a few patches that have been pending for a while.
              > I don't have much time available, thus I will only include things that
              > take a few hours of my time. That basically means patches that are
              > ready to be included.
              >
              > I will check the voting list to see what the most popular features are:
              > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
              >
              > One thing that I will certainly do is improve the MS-Windows installer.
              > I recently installed Vim on a new laptop and it didn't work very well.
              > More and more people are using Windows 7. I think that taking Window XP
              > as the minimal platform will work well. I hope we can make installing
              > Vim on MS-Windows as simple and reliable as possible.
              >
              > I also plan to drop the split in "lang" and "extra" archives. The
              > burden to have several feature sets is no longer justified by the
              > slightly smaller distribution. Putting everything together makes things
              > a lot simpler.
              >
              > Mercurial is going to be the primary method for distribution. I'll
              > drop CVS, it slows me down too much. Someone else might be able to
              > mirror the Mercurial repository in CVS, like it's done for Subversion.
              >
              > I hope to bring out a first beta version by the end of May. That gives
              > everybody time to send me updated and polished patches and runtime
              > files. I need to have these halfway May, I also need some time to
              > integrate everything.
              >
              > It would also be nice if we can update the spell files. Volunteers
              > wanted! See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
              > section.

              Are you considering any patches from
              http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
              for inclusion?

              regards,
              Christian

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 11, 2010

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 11, 2010
                  Christian Brabandt wrote:

                  > Are you considering any patches from
                  > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
                  > for inclusion?

                  Yes, but many of these patches are not mature. E.g., first one,
                  "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
                  verify that it doesn't break anything. That's a pity, because it can
                  make syntax highlighting much faster.

                  I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
                  of bug fixes. "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
                  7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
                  risc. Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
                  carefully looking through the code changes.

                  --
                  CART DRIVER: Bring out your dead!
                  We follow the cart through a wretched, impoverished plague-ridden village.

                • Asif Iqbal
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 11, 2010
                    2010/4/11 Dominique Pellé <dominique.pelle@...>:
                    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                    >
                    >> On 11/04/10 16:33, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    >> [...]
                    >>>
                    >>> It would also be nice if we can update the spell files.  Volunteers
                    >>> wanted!  See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
                    >>> section.
                    >>>

                    >> IIUC, Mozilla uses the same spellfile format as Vim? If that's the case, and
                    >> if the Mozilla license (which, BTW, is undergoing revision, see among others
                    >> http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2010/03/10/updating-the-mozilla-public-license/
                    >> ), or whatever other license some of these dictionaries may be using, is
                    >> found to be compatible with the Vim license, then maybe we could "just"
                    >> borrow the desired files from the dictionaries at
                    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/browse/type:3 ? (Note: an .xpi
                    >> is just a .zip under another name.)
                    >

                    > ":help spell-mkspell" says:

                    would be nice if there is a feature for english (american english) grammar.
                    even better a google plugin to suggest correct usage that grammar
                    alone may not help
                    like

                    I is sick
                    He was play football

                    stuff like that. I use vim as my email editor with mutt, so this would
                    be really useful

                    > You can create a Vim spell file from the .aff and .dic files that Myspell
                    > uses.  Myspell is used by OpenOffice.org and Mozilla.  You should be able to
                    > find them here:
                    >        http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries
                    >
                    > The link in help file contains dictionaries for the old OpenOffice-2.x.
                    >
                    > OpenOffice-3.x has changed the format of the dictionaries
                    > OpenOffice-3.x dictionaries are available at:
                    >
                    > http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/dictionary
                    >
                    > Does anybody knows whether it's possible to convert the
                    > OpenOffice-3.x dictionaries to Vim dictionaries?
                    >
                    > OpenOffice-3.x has more dictionaries than OpenOffice-2.x.
                    > For example, I'm interested in converting the Breton dictionary
                    > to Vim, but it's only available for OpenOffice-3.x and not OpenOffice-2.x.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > -- Dominique

                    Asif Iqbal
                    PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
                    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
                      On 11/04/10 22:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                      > Christian Brabandt wrote:
                      >
                      >> Are you considering any patches from
                      >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
                      >> for inclusion?
                      >
                      > Yes, but many of these patches are not mature. E.g., first one,
                      > "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
                      > verify that it doesn't break anything. That's a pity, because it can
                      > make syntax highlighting much faster.
                      >
                      > I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
                      > of bug fixes. "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
                      > 7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
                      > risc. Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
                      > carefully looking through the code changes.

                      It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are my
                      top five; not in preference order.

                      #14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long
                      track record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve
                      Hall's Vim for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and
                      it was not new even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial
                      (not enough "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been
                      victim of bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline"
                      patches) and of course bringing it in would eliminate that problem
                      forever. A compile-time option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

                      #13 (Access W32 clipboard from Cygwin "Unix" Vim) is interesting but
                      still in beta. IIUC ifdeffed by whatever FEAT_* corresponds to
                      has('win32unix'). Bring 'em in or let it bake some more?

                      #10 (Variable tabstops) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it.
                      Reportedly still in alpha. Probably wait some more (Vim 8.0 ?) but keep
                      an eye on it.

                      #9 (Relative line numbers) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it. Its
                      authors say "it works". I don't feel competent to evaluate it by
                      eyeballing the code.

                      #7 (Bill McCarthy's additional float functions). This one I've taken up
                      in my "Huge" Vim. Not a single problem AFAICT. Code examination shows
                      that it is done cleanly and simply, within #ifdef FEAT_FLOAT, and does
                      not interfere with other stuff outside the "call function -> return
                      value" codepath. IMHO this one is the most worthy of including into
                      mainline Vim (and perhaps the least risky). Maybe a one-time check in a
                      build with FEAT_EVAL on and FEAT_FLOAT off to make sure no #ifdef was
                      forgotten. (I already compile a Tiny build without +eval in addition to
                      my Huge build, from the same source, and no problems there either.)
                      Documentation exists and is well-written, as a separate helpfile to
                      avoid problems with rsync; probably merge that into eval.txt.

                      n = ((n >> 1) & 0x55555555) | ((n << 1) & 0xaaaaaaaa);
                      n = ((n >> 2) & 0x33333333) | ((n << 2) & 0xcccccccc);
                      n = ((n >> 4) & 0x0f0f0f0f) | ((n << 4) & 0xf0f0f0f0);
                      n = ((n >> 8) & 0x00ff00ff) | ((n << 8) & 0xff00ff00);
                      n = ((n >> 16) & 0x0000ffff) | ((n << 16) & 0xffff0000);

                      -- C code which reverses the bits in a word.

                    • mmarko
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
                        On 11 apr., 16:33, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                        > Hello Vim users!
                        >
                        > I will try to include a few patches that have been pending for a while.
                        > I don't have much time available, thus I will only include things that
                        > take a few hours of my time.  That basically means patches that are
                        > ready to be included.
                        >
                        > I will check the voting list to see what the most popular features are:http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

                        Hi Bram!

                        I have a patch for if_python.c that adds direct access to Vims
                        internal screen.
                        It creates a new python object vim.screen with the following methods:
                        puts, getHighlightAttr, mousex, mousey. The patch can be used to
                        create
                        "gui" forms that would be available in all versions of Vim (with
                        +python), especially
                        if more integration between Vim and Python is planned.

                        http://sourceforge.net/projects/vimuiex/files/vimpatch/vimpatch-0.6.6.zip/download
                        The patch changes: if_python.c, eval.c, version.c, configure.in and
                        config.h.in
                        The feature can be enabled during ./configure with --enable-
                        pythonscreen.
                        I've been using it for a year now without problems/crashes.

                        Marko

                      • Edward L. Fox
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
                          On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 04:33:31PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                          > Hello Vim users!
                          >
                          > [...]
                          >
                          > Mercurial is going to be the primary method for distribution. I'll
                          > drop CVS, it slows me down too much. Someone else might be able to
                          > mirror the Mercurial repository in CVS, like it's done for Subversion.

                          I don't think we have any reason to keep the CVS repository any
                          longer. It's way too slow and rather user-unfriendly. Nobody will
                          want to use CVS if he could have any other alternatives.

                          I think the Subversion repository should also be abandoned. I tried
                          Mercurial, it's rather powerful and very easy to use. I suggest that
                          we just stick with Mercurial and only use this as official repository.
                          If any other people wish to use other forms of repositories, they can
                          publish their unofficial mirrors, just as vim-cocoa does.

                          > I hope to bring out a first beta version by the end of May. That gives
                          > everybody time to send me updated and polished patches and runtime
                          > files. I need to have these halfway May, I also need some time to
                          > integrate everything.

                          What's the feature-freeze date? I want to submit a small feature and
                          a tiny feature. Hope I could have enough time for that.

                          > It would also be nice if we can update the spell files. Volunteers
                          > wanted! See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
                          > section.
                          >
                          > --
                          > SOLDIER: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
                          > ARTHUR: It could grip it by the husk ...
                          > "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

                          > \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///

                        • Christian Brabandt
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
                            Hi Tony!
                            (replying to vim_use and vim_dev. Should we keep the discussion on
                            vim_dev or rather on vim_use?)

                            Disclaimer:
                            I know, this is not a wishlist thread, but I could not resist ;)

                            On Mo, 12 Apr 2010, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                            > It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are
                            > my top five; not in preference order.
                            >
                            > #14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long
                            > track record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve
                            > Hall's Vim for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and
                            > it was not new even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial
                            > (not enough "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been
                            > victim of bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline"
                            > patches) and of course bringing it in would eliminate that problem
                            > forever. A compile-time option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

                            I'd like that too.

                            > #13 (Access W32 clipboard from Cygwin "Unix" Vim) is interesting but
                            > still in beta. IIUC ifdeffed by whatever FEAT_* corresponds to
                            > has('win32unix'). Bring 'em in or let it bake some more?

                            I have no opinion on that.

                            > #10 (Variable tabstops) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it.
                            > Reportedly still in alpha. Probably wait some more (Vim 8.0 ?) but keep
                            > an eye on it.

                            I'd like that one.

                            > #9 (Relative line numbers) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it. Its
                            > authors say "it works". I don't feel competent to evaluate it by
                            > eyeballing the code.

                            I'd really like that one.

                            > #7 (Bill McCarthy's additional float functions). This one I've taken up
                            > in my "Huge" Vim. Not a single problem AFAICT. Code examination shows
                            > that it is done cleanly and simply, within #ifdef FEAT_FLOAT, and does
                            > not interfere with other stuff outside the "call function -> return
                            > value" codepath. IMHO this one is the most worthy of including into
                            > mainline Vim (and perhaps the least risky). Maybe a one-time check in a
                            > build with FEAT_EVAL on and FEAT_FLOAT off to make sure no #ifdef was
                            > forgotten. (I already compile a Tiny build without +eval in addition to
                            > my Huge build, from the same source, and no problems there either.)
                            > Documentation exists and is well-written, as a separate helpfile to
                            > avoid problems with rsync; probably merge that into eval.txt.

                            If you consider that, would you also consider including a random()
                            function call?

                            Additionally I'd like persistent undo (#4), unified colors (#12) and
                            correctly indent wrapped lines (#15) and maybe quickfix-title from the
                            extended git repository as well as fast-join and really nice would be
                            the margincolumn patch that was floating around vim_dev for some time.

                            regards,
                            Christian

                          • Nicholas Cole
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
                              On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Tony Mechelynck
                              <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                              > On 11/04/10 22:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Christian Brabandt wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> Are you considering any patches from
                              >>> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
                              >>> for inclusion?
                              >>
                              >> Yes, but many of these patches are not mature.  E.g., first one,
                              >> "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
                              >> verify that it doesn't break anything.  That's a pity, because it can
                              >> make syntax highlighting much faster.
                              >>
                              >> I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
                              >> of bug fixes.  "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
                              >> 7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
                              >> risc.  Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
                              >> carefully looking through the code changes.
                              >>

                              > It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are my top
                              > five; not in preference order.
                              >
                              > #14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long track
                              > record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve Hall's Vim
                              > for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and it was not new
                              > even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial (not enough
                              > "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been victim of
                              > bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline" patches) and of
                              > course bringing it in would eliminate that problem forever. A compile-time
                              > option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

                              This thread has been a good reminder to renew my sponsorship, in part
                              because Vim deserves the support, and in part so I can vote again for
                              this patch! I've never been clear why this patch should be
                              controversial, though.

                              Best wishes,

                              Nicholas

                            • Chris Sutcliffe
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
                                > #13 (Access W32 clipboard from Cygwin "Unix" Vim) is interesting but still
                                > in beta. IIUC ifdeffed by whatever FEAT_* corresponds to has('win32unix').
                                > Bring 'em in or let it bake some more?

                                I would really like this one. Even though it's possible to recreate
                                most of the functionality (via Fakeclip or through the tips mentioned
                                in the Wiki), it would be really nice to have this functionality built
                                in.

                                Cheers!

                                Chris

                                --
                                Chris Sutcliffe
                                http://emergedesktop.org

                              • Tom Link
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
                                  > I have a patch for if_python.c that adds direct access to Vims
                                  > internal screen.

                                  Is there a chance this functionality will be available from vimscript
                                  as well (and therewith be available to ruby etc. too). As long as one
                                  of the top items (use python) isn't implemented.

                                • Gregor Uhlenheuer
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 18, 2010
                                    On 04/11/2010 04:33 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                    > I will try to include a few patches that have been pending for a while.
                                    > I don't have much time available, thus I will only include things that
                                    > take a few hours of my time. That basically means patches that are
                                    > ready to be included.

                                    Hi,

                                    a few months ago I posted an updated patch for the margincolumn
                                    feature that actually allows you to highlight a specified column (i.e.
                                    to show the current buffer's textwidth). Since then I kept updating it
                                    and use it without any problems.

                                    The patch for vim-7.2.411 is attached.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Gregor

                                  • Bram Moolenaar
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 17, 2010
                                      Mark Mahnic wrote:

                                      > Hi Bram!
                                      >
                                      > I have a patch for if_python.c that adds direct access to Vims
                                      > internal screen.
                                      > It creates a new python object vim.screen with the following methods:
                                      > puts, getHighlightAttr, mousex, mousey. The patch can be used to
                                      > create
                                      > "gui" forms that would be available in all versions of Vim (with
                                      > +python), especially
                                      > if more integration between Vim and Python is planned.
                                      >
                                      > http://sourceforge.net/projects/vimuiex/files/vimpatch/vimpatch-0.6.6.zip/download
                                      > The patch changes: if_python.c, eval.c, version.c, configure.in and
                                      > config.h.in
                                      > The feature can be enabled during ./configure with --enable-
                                      > pythonscreen.
                                      > I've been using it for a year now without problems/crashes.

                                      I had a look at the patch. It doesn't include documentation, thus it's
                                      not easy to see how to use it.

                                      Also, I have included support for Python 3 now. Can the same be done
                                      for that?

                                      --
                                      WOMAN: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous
                                      collective.

                                    • Marko Mahnič
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 18, 2010
                                        On 17. 07. 2010 21:26, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                        > I had a look at the patch. It doesn't include documentation, thus it's
                                        > not easy to see how to use it.

                                        Here is an updated patch with minimal documentation added to
                                        if_pyth.txt and a minor update in if_python.c.

                                        Basically the patch exposes a few window attributes and a
                                        new vim.screen object with two methods.

                                        The new window attributes are: window.left, window.top and
                                        window.wcursor. The attribute window.width is now exposed
                                        uncontitionally (previously it was available only when
                                        FEAT_VERTSPLIT was defined). With these attributes it is
                                        possible to get the location of the cursor inside the window
                                        (the old window.cursor is expressed in the number of
                                        vim-lines/columns, not screen lines/columns).

                                        The two methods of the screen object are used to write
                                        strings directly to the vim screen (screen.puts) and to get
                                        the raw attribute values of vim syntax elements
                                        (screen.getHighlightAttr) which can be subsequently used
                                        with puts. The parameters in puts are modelled after the
                                        function puts in ncurses (the patch was developed as a part
                                        of vimscript 2606 which initially only used ncurses).

                                        All the functionality could also be implemented in VimScript
                                        so that it could be used by other plugins:

                                        - puts: a new function that exposes
                                        screen_puts_len()
                                        in VimScript (length could be omitted)

                                        - getHihghlightAttr: expose a function that calls:
                                        int id = syn_name2id(name);
                                        int attr = syn_id2attr(id);
                                        return attr

                                        - a new function: get_win_cursor({nr}), returns a list:
                                        (long)(this->win->w_wrow), (long)(this->win->w_wcol)

                                        - a new function: get_win_pos({nr}), returns a list:
                                        (long)(W_WINROW(this->win)), (long)(W_WINCOL(this->win))

                                        - winwidth() and winheight() already exist

                                        I'm not acquainted with VimScript internals but I think it
                                        shouldn't be too hard to do this.

                                        > Also, I have included support for Python 3 now. Can the same be done
                                        > for that?

                                        Currently I'm not using Python 3 but judging from a diff
                                        between if_python.c and if_python3.c this could be done.
                                        Most of the patch could just be copied into if_python3.c
                                        except the screen object structure which should be changed.

                                        Marko

                                      • Marko Mahnič
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 18, 2010
                                          On 17. 07. 2010 21:26, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                          > I had a look at the patch. It doesn't include documentation, thus it's
                                          > not easy to see how to use it.

                                          Here is an example:

                                          python << EOF
                                          import vim
                                          attr = vim.screen.getHighlightAttr("ErrorMsg")
                                          enc = vim.eval("&encoding")
                                          text = u" Direct Write "
                                          win = vim.current.window
                                          vim.screen.puts(win.top + win.height/2, win.left+4, attr,
                                          text.encode(enc, "replace"))
                                          EOF

                                        • Bram Moolenaar
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 18, 2010
                                            Marko Mahni wrote:

                                            > On 17. 07. 2010 21:26, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > I had a look at the patch. It doesn't include documentation, thus it's
                                            > > not easy to see how to use it.
                                            >
                                            > Here is an updated patch with minimal documentation added to
                                            > if_pyth.txt and a minor update in if_python.c.
                                            >
                                            > Basically the patch exposes a few window attributes and a
                                            > new vim.screen object with two methods.
                                            >
                                            > The new window attributes are: window.left, window.top and
                                            > window.wcursor. The attribute window.width is now exposed
                                            > uncontitionally (previously it was available only when
                                            > FEAT_VERTSPLIT was defined). With these attributes it is
                                            > possible to get the location of the cursor inside the window
                                            > (the old window.cursor is expressed in the number of
                                            > vim-lines/columns, not screen lines/columns).
                                            >
                                            > The two methods of the screen object are used to write
                                            > strings directly to the vim screen (screen.puts) and to get
                                            > the raw attribute values of vim syntax elements
                                            > (screen.getHighlightAttr) which can be subsequently used
                                            > with puts. The parameters in puts are modelled after the
                                            > function puts in ncurses (the patch was developed as a part
                                            > of vimscript 2606 which initially only used ncurses).
                                            >
                                            > All the functionality could also be implemented in VimScript
                                            > so that it could be used by other plugins:
                                            >
                                            > - puts: a new function that exposes
                                            > screen_puts_len()
                                            > in VimScript (length could be omitted)
                                            >
                                            > - getHihghlightAttr: expose a function that calls:
                                            > int id = syn_name2id(name);
                                            > int attr = syn_id2attr(id);
                                            > return attr
                                            >
                                            > - a new function: get_win_cursor({nr}), returns a list:
                                            > (long)(this->win->w_wrow), (long)(this->win->w_wcol)
                                            >
                                            > - a new function: get_win_pos({nr}), returns a list:
                                            > (long)(W_WINROW(this->win)), (long)(W_WINCOL(this->win))
                                            >
                                            > - winwidth() and winheight() already exist
                                            >
                                            > I'm not acquainted with VimScript internals but I think it
                                            > shouldn't be too hard to do this.
                                            >

                                            > > Also, I have included support for Python 3 now. Can the same be done
                                            > > for that?
                                            > >

                                            > Currently I'm not using Python 3 but judging from a diff
                                            > between if_python.c and if_python3.c this could be done.
                                            > Most of the patch could just be copied into if_python3.c
                                            > except the screen object structure which should be changed.

                                            Thanks. I'll add a note in the todo list. I don't expect to include
                                            this soon, thus keep working on it.

                                            --
                                            ARTHUR: Be quiet!
                                            DENNIS: Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause

                                          • Marko Mahnič
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 19, 2010
                                              On 18. 07. 2010 22:51, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                              > Thanks. I'll add a note in the todo list. I don't expect to include
                                              > this soon, thus keep working on it.

                                              This patch adds the python_screen feature to python and python3.
                                              Examples are in the archive.

                                              Marko